Scratched up hood with ice scraper. Any way to do a repair job?

LordJezo

Over an inch of ice this morning had me beating my car to make it road worthy that I ended up with a couple of nice scratches on the hood from an ice scraper that broke due to the difficulty it had in pushing off the ice sheet that had enveloped the car.

They are surface scratches, not very pretty, but dont look too horribly deep. I will be able to see more once the sun comes out and things dry out, but are there repair kits to fix something like this?

I was going to try this at some point.

http://www.paint-chip-repair.com/index.html

Seems promising. I had tried Langka a couple of years ago and was dissapointed to say the least. Although they say it's easy to do, it took a lot of time and patience with varying results.

You may also want to try a good polish. If the the scratch is superficial that may lessen the impact. I know Zaino car polishes do a nice job of concealing scratches due to the way it refracts light. FWIW.

BTW next time just try and let the car warm up before going at the ice with a scraper. It may take a few minutes but I always have good luck having the heat from the interior/engine of the car break the bond between metal and ice. again FWIW :)

Last edited:
I was going to try this at some point.

http://www.paint-chip-repair.com/index.html

Seems promising. I had tried Langka a couple of years ago and was dissapointed to say the least. Although they say it's easy to do, it took a lot of time and patience with varying results.

You may also want to try a good polish. If the the scratch is superficial that may lessen the impact. I know Zaino car polishes do a nice job of concealing scratches due to the way it refracts light. FWIW.

BTW next time just try and let the car warm up before going at the ice with a scraper. It may take a few minutes but I always have good luck having the heat from the interior/engine of the car break the bond between metal and ice. again FWIW :)

I should have just stayed home. By the time I was done deicing the second side of the car the first was iced up again.

I'll give that stuff a shot that you linked to. The scratches are annoying, I will post a pic next time I get the car dry and in the light. Can't believe I did this so soon after getting the car.

Yeah I can't tell you how many times I just want to hit rewind after doing something idiotic. Last summer I back up too far in my Mz6 and ran into the bumper of a F150. There was no major damage except for two damned dimples caused by the F150's license plate. A small thing but everytime I see them I cringe and wish that I had hit the brakes one second sooner!

This link goes through steps on how you can repair paint chips or scratches, with only your own bottle of touch-up paint and some appropriate sanding blocks. It does work because I have tried it, but it requires infinite patience and multiple applications of your touch-up paint with either a toothpick, or a dedicated toothpick-like applicator you can buy from car care websites (I don't want to name any here in fear of being hunted down by the Sponsors, ha ha)

Remember: infinite patience. Else it'll look like crap.

http://store.carcareonline.com/repairpaintchips.aspx

Whitening toothpaste, and a warm, squeezed out cotton towel. Just a small dab of toothpaste will go a long ways. It works wonders

Used car lots hire pros to cover paint scratches and chips, and the results look great. These pros travel from lot to lot. You might ask a used car manager if they'll give you a contact for one of these guys.

Yikes.

A few years ago, some lady almost killed me while I was getting out of my car. Took my door OFF with her minivan. She had insurance from Tijuana and then took off completely never to be seen again, but that's a different nightmare.
Anyway, after a ton of research, I ended up just buying a used door that is the same color. It matched perfectly and no bondo.

Just an option if those scratches are worse than you think. I wonder how much a CX-9 hood costs from a junkyard?

Thats a lot of ice ! I usually hit the hood down with the brush side. The flex in the hood breaks apart the ice.

I have tried your basic typical scratch remover and they only work on the thinniest of scratches. Putting touch up paint first helps but it is hard to get a smooth finish after. Good car detaillers, paint shop or paintless dent removers may have a few tricks Up their sleeves though so it may be worth calling a few places around.

Back