Score!! 15x7 +35 SSR Type-C

extremez31

:
2013 Mazda2 Sport (5 Speed)
So I scored a set of SSR Type-C wheels yesterday New in box for get this.... $800.00, Now in need of tires. I wanted to know if anyone has had any autox experience specifically with the R1R or RS-3

RS-3 Size 225/45 R15
R1R Size 205/50 R15 or 225/45 R15

I plan on running STF this year, bone stock suspension, eventually will consider either coil-overs or shocks/struts and springs. If anyone can share their experience I would greatly appreciate it.

I had to set of wheels (UL's) one with RS3's and the other one with R1R's. Down in Fla. during hot days , the RS3's were 1 to 1.5 second faster, but during low temp days below 65 F the R1r's are unbeatable. Also Andy Hollis did great with them the whole year...

Probably my set up for this year R1R's

BTW were did you find those wheels?

Andres

Thanks for the info Andres, the wheels were bought on ebay from some guy who bought them but never mounted them. Lets see what they look like when they arrive. I just couldn't pass on them at that price.

By the way l'm signing up for SCCA membership, want to help a fella out by referring me so i can save a little? Can someone PM me their Referring member first name, Referring member last name, Referring member number

Thanks for the info Andres, the wheels were bought on ebay from some guy who bought them but never mounted them. Lets see what they look like when they arrive. I just couldn't pass on them at that price.

By the way l'm signing up for SCCA membership, want to help a fella out by referring me so i can save a little? Can someone PM me their Referring member first name, Referring member last name, Referring member number

Done, Good catch !!!

Andres

Of course they are, but r-comps can't be used in street tire classes such as STF.

Awesome price on those ssr's!! I wouldn't sweat the tire decision too much unless you have national aspirations or a super competitive local STF group. Personally, I'd just get whatever max-performance tire was on sale in the size I wanted and put the money saved toward other stuff. Last max-perf tire I used was the ecsta XS...obviously not as good as your two choices but it was much cheaper at the time (~$30-40 per tire) and I was happy with it for auto-x and street use.

Of course they are, but r-comps can't be used in street tire classes such as STF.

Awesome price on those ssr's!! I wouldn't sweat the tire decision too much unless you have national aspirations or a super competitive local STF group. Personally, I'd just get whatever max-performance tire was on sale in the size I wanted and put the money saved toward other stuff. Last max-perf tire I used was the ecsta XS...obviously not as good as your two choices but it was much cheaper at the time (~$30-40 per tire) and I was happy with it for auto-x and street use.

I wasn't aware sorry I've only Auto X.

Yeah, as far as i can tell, 9 people in STF this year so i want to come prepared. From experience tires, brakes and suspension setup make the biggest difference I was an avid weekend warrior just about 10 years ago and would like to get back into the sport. So thanks everyone, input is much appreciated! Andres thanks again for the info.

I did well locally with the Kumho EXS tires in STF. A good quarter of the events were in the rain which they handled well too.

-Derrick

Thanks Derrick, I think im leaning towards your the Kumho's you suggested. the price is right and the thread wear is ok for summer commuting.

wheels came in and they are PERFECT
wheels.jpg

how much do they weight, considering its a ssr rim, 11 pounds?

Last edited:
9.4 LBS They are the 2nd lightest wheels you can buy in 15x7 the other is Volk CE28 or something like that those weigh 9.2 LBS. I cant wait to mount them, need to order tires.

bought them off ebay, I couldn't believe it myself..

Yup I do need tires Kumho Ecsta XS size 205/50 R 15. IF you can beat the TireRack price you have a deal PM me.

Back