2016~2023 Scheduled Maintenance

Just purchased 2016 FWD CX-9 Touring from carmax and my scheduled maintenance light came on after a road trip (3,500 miles). The car was checked out at carmax and I had a second opinion at my local garage and everything was in order.

Can I reset the timer on the scheduled maintenance or am I running a risk. I bought the car with 37,000 miles and now it has 42,000--is it a major amount of work needed? Everything seems to run fine and the battery was just replaced.

I will be due for tires in another few thousand miles.

Recently, thanks to all the posts here and YouTube, I've completed the air intake cleaner, Infotainment update, and Apple CarPlay install.

Thoughts?

Do you have any maintenance history? If not, I'd have your local shop change the spark plugs (40,000 miles), you've done the air filter, knock the bugs out of the cabin air filter, and do oil and oil filter changes. When I changed my $22 spark plugs at 40k the car was peppier.

Do you have an owner's manual? If not, I'd suggest buying one from an online source. Follow the maintenance schedule in it.

Thanks PT. No maintenance history unfortunately however I could tell from the records it was a 3 year lease before I bought it. Carmax does the oil and oil filter. I can handle the air filters, they looked fine last I checked.

Will get the manual, just found it online very easily.

Cheers!

They probably just didn't reset the maintenance timer when they did the oil change. Did they give you a CarFax report or similar when you bought it? Some of the maintenance done might show up there.

Do you have any maintenance history? If not, I'd have your local shop change the spark plugs (40,000 miles), you've done the air filter, knock the bugs out of the cabin air filter, and do oil and oil filter changes. When I changed my $22 spark plugs at 40k the car was peppier.

Do you have an owner's manual? If not, I'd suggest buying one from an online source. Follow the maintenance schedule in it.

So I took it in with the anticipation of replacing the spark plugs and I was told they were completely fine however I needed brake pads and rotors front and back. This was a highly recommended garage so I don't think they took advantage but you never know. The also suggested new air filters but I told them to leave it and I replaced myself with a K&N.

RE: Spark plugs, @43k now--should I just do it regardless of their opinion? Planning to do tires at the next oil change in 2,000 miles. Your point about adding some pep in our step has me convinced. I don't have the tools available to DIY but I'm more than willing to add to my collection. Uncle YouTube has quite a few instructions available.

They probably just didn't reset the maintenance timer when they did the oil change. Did they give you a CarFax report or similar when you bought it? Some of the maintenance done might show up there.
Everything looked to be up to date. The records they showed made it appear to be a lease with clean records.

You can look through the spokes on the wheels and see the thickness of the outboard brake pads. You can run a finger along the discs and feel for grooving. It's usually a safe assumption that the inboard sides are about the same as the outboard sides.

3mm to 4 mm is a good range for minimum brake pad thickness.

Latest posts

Back