SBS and SCBS. What is on and when?

leftlanemazda

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Tech
Hi All,

This is my first post so please excuse me if it's in the wrong spot or if a similar question has been answered already. I've recently bought a 2017 CX-5 GT Tech which I'm really liking. Unfortunately, no one in the dealership seemed to know very much about SBS or SCBS. I understand that if I get into the car, start driving and if I set the cruise control, MRCC in conjuction with SBS or SCBS will cause the vehicle to slow down or stop if another vehicle is in the way.
What I've been struggling to understand is if I get into the car and start driving, not purposely turning anything on, will the vehicle brake on it's own if need be?

Thanks

I believe the answer is, yes. I don't have the full smart braking system on our 2016 CX-5, but we do have the smart city braking system and it is on all the time, though it only triggers at speeds less than 20 mph.

What MRCC gives you is basically automated driving as far as accelerating and stopping goes. You basically only need to control the steering wheel, while the car will drive for you based on the cruise control speed you set and the distance parameter (I don't know what they call this system). So in MRCC, the car will be able to come to a full stop and then accelerate again once the car in front accelerates.

SBS and SCBS. What is on and when?

What I've been struggling to understand is if I get into the car and start driving, not purposely turning anything on, will the vehicle brake on it's own if need be?
SCBS (2.5~18.75 mph) and SBS (9.375~90.625 mph) both are activated automatically when you get into the CX-5 and start driving. MRCC with Stop & Go on 2017 CX-5 is utilizing both functions for braking.

Mazda SCBS and SBS

It is scary when SCBS kicks in.
Sometimes I pull into the driveway fast and close to my garage door. If my foot is not the brake pedal fast enough, the SCBS will kick in suddenly with loud beeps.
It really works.

Note that, if you brake pedal is even slightly depressed, SCBS or SBS are off. Lots of people who conduct parking lot tests did not know that and proclaim the features do not work.... misunderstanding at most.

It is scary when SCBS kicks in.
Sometimes I pull into the driveway fast and close to my garage door. If my foot is not the brake pedal fast enough, the SCBS will kick in suddenly with loud beeps.
It really works.

Note that, if you brake pedal is even slightly depressed, SCBS or SBS are off. Lots of people who conduct parking lot tests did not know that and proclaim the features do not work.... misunderstanding at most.
Agreed. First time I unintentionally triggered it driving up the driveway, I thought something broke on the car LOL. Second time I unintentionally triggered it was in stop and go traffic, I was following another vehicle closely and was waiting until the last moment to brake. Well I waited too long, the car activated the brakes itself.

Hi All,

This is my first post so please excuse me if it's in the wrong spot or if a similar question has been answered already. I've recently bought a 2017 CX-5 GT Tech which I'm really liking. Unfortunately, no one in the dealership seemed to know very much about SBS or SCBS. I understand that if I get into the car, start driving and if I set the cruise control, MRCC in conjuction with SBS or SCBS will cause the vehicle to slow down or stop if another vehicle is in the way.

Thanks

From your Canadian brochure re SBS & SCBS:

Capture.jpg

From your Canadian brochure re MRCC with stop/go (should be independent of SBS & SCBS):

image.jpg

If you go into the menu system you should be able to find the safety page, and find options to turn the various features on and off. The default is on. And if you turn them off, and later stop the car and turn the engine off, they will reset to on when the cra is restarted.

I have to go into the mneu and turn SCBC off when I am backing my boat trailer - we get SCBS forward and reverse - it sees the boat too close behind me when I go into reverse, and slams the brakes on.

For what it's worth, I can't test SCBS at all.
I always chicken out and push the brake pedal by impulse.

Back