Mazda3 2.5T Turbocharged AWD Mazda3 for 2021 model year

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring / Deep Crystal Blue / Sand leather
Source: https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-mazda-3-will-finally-get-a-turbo-1843884157

Jalopnik's sources for this rumor have been accurate in the past as well, so here's hoping this is true! As an enthusiast though, I unfortunately wouldn't expect a manual option to be available for the top-end trim. Unless the possible "Performance Package" might offer it.

My favorite car I've ever had was a 2010 manual VW GTI, and I'm thinking about getting another manual GTI once the lease on my CX-9 is up next spring. However, if Mazda comes out with a really compelling option here, I'd be glad to stay with the brand.

This would be a fantastic addition to the lineup especially with the current Mazda3’s design (which I’m a fan of)...I sure hope they do, in fact I hope they offer high performance versions of all their models someday.

too bad its so ugly though
Too bad you feel that way but the design is quite a departure from the past which I can see some people not liking...That said, if it ends up looking anything like these styling concepts, that would be fantastic!

index.php

index.php

Ooh, may have to test drive one if (when?) it makes it to a local dealership. If we still have the Civic by then, I will be pushing hard to replace it. I'd probably opt for the hatch for the extra practicality.

I am thinking about pricing, as far as styling goes this way better than the Si and the GTI. More reliable than the GTI and same as SI. If this comes in like a GT R or Signature trim for CX5 - we are looking at sub $30,000 price which could be pricey.

Too bad you feel that way but the design is quite a departure from the past which I can see some people not liking...That said, if it ends up looking anything like these styling concepts, that would be fantastic!

index.php

index.php

nope, still ugly!

I just hope Mazda gives this car enough performance to be competitive with other “hot” hatches and sedans. I have a feeling this will be compared to the VW GTI, Hyundai Veloster N, Honda Civic Si, Subaru WRX, and the upcoming Toyota Corolla GRMN which is rumored to have 260-270hp, AWD, and a manual transmission.

If this upcoming AWD turbo 3 has some competitive performance and especially a manual, I’ll have a very hard time convincing myself to buy anything else once my lease is up.

I just hope Mazda gives this car enough performance to be competitive with other “hot” hatches and sedans. I have a feeling this will be compared to the VW GTI, Hyundai Veloster N, Honda Civic Si, Subaru WRX, and the upcoming Toyota Corolla GRMN which is rumored to have 260-270hp, AWD, and a manual transmission.

If this upcoming AWD turbo 3 has some competitive performance and especially a manual, I’ll have a very hard time convincing myself to buy anything else once my lease is up.

Place your bets! I'm guessing it'll be the same 2.5T from the other models, with AWD only available on the hatch. I would bet that manual will not be an option with this engine (unfortunately), but paddle shifters will come standard (for whatever that's worth).

I was discussing the pricing of a potential AWD turbo Mazda3 over on ClubLexus a few weeks ago. In that thread, one guy said that adding a turbo to a top of the line Mazda3 ($33k CAD) would price the car at $38k. I replied that the 2020 Mazda6 GS-L with base 2.5 is $34k. That exact same model with the 2.5T is $36k. Given that the 3 and 6 share the same 2.5 engine, if they were adding only the turbo engine to the AWD 3, it would also be about $2k more, putting it at about $35k for an AWD turbo hatch that handles well and has a comfortable and well-appointed interior.

Another poster said that even $35k sounds high for a car in this segment. I replied with the following:

It does seem high, but I think its competitive enough to take some sales from other vehicles. Take the GTI, for example. You have to step up to the Autobahn trim at $37k to get leather, advanced keyless entry, and adaptive headlights. HUD is not offered, but you get a panoramic sunroof, Dynamic Chassis Control, and an LSD. You also have to add the Driver Assistance package for another $1750, so it's really $38750.

On the other hand, the Veloster N is $35k, but it's more of an enthusiast car so it lacks a lot of the premium/luxury features. 275hp and 260 lb-ft of torque at a curb weight of 3066 lbs, clocks 0-60 in about 5.2s. A turbo 3 would have 250hp and 310 lb-ft of torque at a curb weight of about 3400 lbs, so I don't think it would be quite as fast, but it does have premium features, the selling point of AWD and the option to fuel with regular vs. premium at the cost of less available power above 4k RPM.

A250 4matic hatch starts at $38k and will be slower than the GTI, Veloster N and 2.5T Mazda3. When you start adding packages to get certain features like AA/ACP, BSM, AEB, radar cruise with Stop & Go, advanced keyless entry, navigation, etc., you have to add on an extra $7500, putting it closer to $45k.

Based on the assumed $2k price difference for the turbo engine, that would put the AWD Mazda3 turbo at around $35k. I haven't driven any of these cars, but the thought of spending $4k more on a GTI that doesn't offer AWD, from a brand that is perceived to have lower than average reliability (VW), means that the GTI is already at a disadvantage for me before I can even go for a test drive. Same goes for the Veloster N - it's probably faster and it has some cool enthusiast features, but no leather, no available driver assistance, and no AWD for the same price? I'd test drive it just to be sure, but I think I'd still take the Mazda3 (especially when you factor in the unlimited KM warranty that Mazda Canada now offers). And I don't think I'd like the A250 enough to spend an extra $10k on it.

All that said, I have no idea what the pricing on a turbo'd Mazda3 AWD would be, so they could easily shoot themselves in the foot if they get too greedy. Just my opinion.

All pricing in this post is in $CAD btw.

What does everyone think pricing is going to look like? Are you expecting it to be higher? Lower?

Honestly, I doubt this will be the car for you. This most likely will simply be the existing 2.5T with the 6 speed automatic in the AWD Mazda 3. This is not a hot hatch but a refined (signature) Mazda 3.

Place your bets! I'm guessing it'll be the same 2.5T from the other models, with AWD only available on the hatch. I would bet that manual will not be an option with this engine (unfortunately), but paddle shifters will come standard (for whatever that's worth).

Yes, I agree, I also think this will only be available with AWD, the 2.5T with just FWD is too much torque(yes I know the mazda6 2.5t FWD exists, but they do all sorts of "trickery" to curb the torque at different times of acceleration), they can do it with FWD, but it just doesn't make sense to hamper the engine for FWD, mind as well go all out with the AWD.

Also, Car and Driver seems to indicate this too, sourced from Jalopnik:

According to a dealer document sent to Jalopnik, the 2021 Mazda 3 hatchback will offer a turbocharged 2.5-liter engine—sadly only with an automatic transmission.

...But we admit to feeling a little disappointed when we heard that this new turbo 3 would be offered only with a six-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive.

source: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32838660/mazda-3-turbo-confirmed-2021/

...I also wish it would've been available in a manual, but oh well.

I'm very excited either way. Mazda needed to put this engine in all of their lineup(practically) in my opinion, they were trying to get away from the "boy racer" image, but when you look at Premium vehicles they usually have a performance model for each lineup... take VW/Audi for example and their "R" line, or BMW with their M line. Mazda needed this to come back, it may not be called the "Speed", but at least they put their most powerful engine in there.

In addition, I'm also excited for this engine to be in the Mazda3 because I think it'll finally get the attention of tuners now... It was always kind of strange for SUV owners(CX-5 and CX-9) to cry out to tuners to put out a performance tune for the 2.5T, I can understand why tuning companies would be sort of hesitant as they weren't confident that there were enough customers who would be interested... now that the 3 is getting it, I believe it'll open the doors.

I was discussing the pricing of a potential AWD turbo Mazda3 over on ClubLexus a few weeks ago. In that thread, one guy said that adding a turbo to a top of the line Mazda3 ($33k CAD) would price the car at $38k. I replied that the 2020 Mazda6 GS-L with base 2.5 is $34k. That exact same model with the 2.5T is $36k. Given that the 3 and 6 share the same 2.5 engine, if they were adding only the turbo engine to the AWD 3, it would also be about $2k more, putting it at about $35k for an AWD turbo hatch that handles well and has a comfortable and well-appointed interior.

Another poster said that even $35k sounds high for a car in this segment. I replied with the following:

All pricing in this post is in $CAD btw.

What does everyone think pricing is going to look like? Are you expecting it to be higher? Lower?

I think you're right on all points, +$2k'ish. Unless they add some content to bump it up another $1k. Regardless, it'll be a very compelling vehicle almost in a segment of its own.

In addition, I'm also excited for this engine to be in the Mazda3 because I think it'll finally get the attention of tuners now... It was always kind of strange for SUV owners(CX-5 and CX-9) to cry out to tuners to put out a performance tune for the 2.5T, I can understand why tuning companies would be sort of hesitant as they weren't confident that there were enough customers who would be interested... now that the 3 is getting it, I believe it'll open the doors.

That is exactly why I'm so excited about this new 3 variant. Whether it's a tune or better OEM parts that can be swapped to the other 2.5T's in Mazda's line-up.

This would absolutely be my next car if I didn't need the size and towing ability of the CX-5.

This is awesome news and great discussion about price!(y)

they were trying to get away from the "boy racer" image, but when you look at Premium vehicles they usually have a performance model for each lineup... take VW/Audi for example and their "R" line, or BMW with their M line. Mazda needed this to come back, it may not be called the "Speed", but at least they put their most powerful engine in there.

Exactly! Couldn't agree more!

Do we know where it will be available first? Do we have a confirmed Model name?

This is awesome news and great discussion about price!(y)

Exactly! Couldn't agree more!

Do we know where it will be available first? Do we have a confirmed Model name?

Right on!

The article I linked from CD referenced Jalopnik(which I see is the same one
norsairius linked in the OP), and here's what they have to say regarding a Model name:

More interestingly, there’s the “MAZDA3 HB PP TURBO” in the list. “HB” stands for hatchback, and “PP”could stand for a number of things. Is it shorthand for “Preferred Package,” “Premium Package,” or potentially a “Performance Package?” It’s not yet clear.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-mazda-3-will-finally-get-a-turbo-1843884157

I didn't see any information on where it'll be available first, however supposedly Mazda will make an official announcement on July 8th, so hopefully we'll know all the details in the not so distant future.

Mazda USA teaser:

Can't wait!

Power figures were leaked in Australia:

That's 227hp and 310tq. I like our chances of getting a tune for our 2.5t a lot better now.
Thanks for the update and excellent point, I'm sure this is not going unnoticed but Tuners and Performance part manufactures. The question is how will demand be for this new turbo Mazda3, hopefully strong!

Latest posts

Back