Rumbling noise

candf

:
2013 CX-5 FWD Touring
During the first 2 weeks of owning the CX-5 I have not noticed any noise but now when starting the car in the morning and putting it into reverse, I hear and kind of feel a low rumble which last for just a couple of seconds. If I put it in drive and put it in reverse again, there is no noise. I am not in a cold climate. Anyone experiencing the same? I am not talking about the louder engine noise for a moment before it warms up.

Is there any way you can position your car so that you do not have to REVERSE after cold start, and see if it still does the rumbling when you first put into vehicle into DRIVE?

During the first 2 weeks of owning the CX-5 I have not noticed any noise but now when starting the car in the morning and putting it into reverse, I hear and kind of feel a low rumble which last for just a couple of seconds. If I put it in drive and put it in reverse again, there is no noise. I am not in a cold climate. Anyone experiencing the same? I am not talking about the louder engine noise for a moment before it warms up.
I had the same thing happen with ours after 3 days of owning it. After fighting with the dealership they found out that one of the egine mounts was mis-aligned and needed to be re-aligned. It has made the vibration much less but it is still there. Now the tech explained what is happening in the first 30 sec when you start the cx-5 and explained why the engine runs a bit rough / loud. The engine leaves the exhaust valves open to heat the cat very fast. During that time the engine is loud and will vibrate more than normal when in gear. So if the mount is not aligned right it will transfer the vibration in to the body it self. They advised me to wait till the rpm drops before selecting a gear.

Last edited:
Is there any way you can position your car so that you do not have to REVERSE after cold start, and see if it still does the rumbling when you first put into vehicle into DRIVE?

I put it into drive instead this morning and it did not make the noise.

Spoarzy,
Did the rumble you were experiencing last more than about 1 or 2 seconds? The loudness of the engine first thing does last more than that which I understand is normal. Not sure if what I am experiencing is the same that you are having if the rumble you have lasts as long as the engine is loud.

I put it into drive instead this morning and it did not make the noise.

Spoarzy,
Did the rumble you were experiencing last more than about 1 or 2 seconds? The loudness of the engine first thing does last more than that which I understand is normal. Not sure if what I am experiencing is the same that you are having if the rumble you have lasts as long as the engine is loud.

The rumble only would happen first thing in the morning when in reverse and the brake was held. If you let go of the brake, it would go away. If you put it in drive, no vibration. It would only last while the engine was in warm up. See what happens when you hold the brake and do not move while in reverse. I bet it will vibrate like crazy like ours did untill you let go of the brake or the engine is finnished its warm up. If so, it is a engine mount that is out of alignment.

Last edited:
Back