Rubber button for entry door.

Carpy

:
2008 CX-9 GT
I went to use the little rubber button for unlocking the entry door on my 2008 CX-9 GT and found the center of the little rubber button was gone. Its like the center section of the rubber just got rotten and sort of tore out. You can use a small pen (or similar) and stick it thru hole in rubber and door will still unlock. Anybody know how I can fix this? Please tell me door panel removal is not required!

Thanks in advance
Carpy

I went to use the little rubber button for unlocking the entry door on my 2008 CX-9 GT and found the center of the little rubber button was gone. Its like the center section of the rubber just got rotten and sort of tore out. You can use a small pen (or similar) and stick it thru hole in rubber and door will still unlock. Anybody know how I can fix this? Please tell me door panel removal is not required!

Thanks in advance
Carpy

Door panel removal will be required. I don't see any other way around that.
My guess is that you will need a new handle.
A picture should show your problem better, though.

Yeah, in order to remove the button if it is serviceable, you have to remove the handle, and in order to remove the handle to have to remove or partially remove the trim panel. I would be interested to find out if the button is sold seperately from the handle.

Thanks for the info, If I find out anything i I will post it. Really -the switch inside is OK, its the small rubber "cap" (cover whatever you call it) that is missing. I was hopeful it could be replaced from the front without having to get into door panel. Its really the only thing wrong with the car just got it less than week ago. This is a nice forum THANK YOU!!!!

according to the 2008 service manual. (you can find a link in my sig.) To replace the switch is on 2020 (or search for REQUEST SWITCH REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [ADVANCED KEYLESS
SYSTEM] ) and they are recommending pulling the trim piece. If you can find similar piece of rubber, you could always cut off the old, and rubber cement it to the switch. replacement would look the best though. The manual does tell the tech to replace the switch if faulty, so it would seem you can order it separately.

Try your local junkyards. See if there is any totaled CX9 in their lots.
It might just cost you $10 if you can find one.

Rubber button on entry door cx9

I had a similar experience. The rubber piece on my door handle came off in a car wash less than 1 year ago. I took it to the dealership and they told me I had to replace the entire door handle. I had just gotten my car so I wanted it to be replaced properly, so over $300 in parts and labor later I had a new handle. (and yes they had to remove the door panel). Now the rubber button is coming off again ... And I have not been to a commercial car wash on purpose to try and prevent this. Has anyone had success on replacing just the rubber button piece? My passenger side is fine ( I guess less wear and tear). I love this feature but definately don't have another $300+ to spend on it. Suggestions? Is there another door handle model with a hard plastic piece instead of the soft rubber one that seems to not hold up so well?

Thanks in advance for your help!
FleurDeE

You don't have to buy the entire door handle to get a new switch. I ordered a new switch with the rubber part attached from the Mazda dealer. The new switch is held onto the door handle with a couple of tiny screws. To get to the bolts that hold the handle to the door, you have to remove the door panel, speaker, window glass, and inner door plastic panel. Once all of that is removed, you are left with pretty much an emtpy shell of a door. The handle can then be easily removed and the new switch replaced.

Rubber Button for Entry Door - Quick and Easy Replacement Fix

My wife drives a 2008 CX-9 and complained that the rubber door lock button was missing from the driver's side door. She really hates trying to find the key fob in her purse to unlock the door. After finding out that it was going to cost hundreds of dollars to get it fixed I decided to get creative and make my own replacement button.

This approach is a quick, easy and, best of all, inexpensive fix for the missing rubber door lock button. This fix doesn't require removing the door handle, door panel or any other part. And you can fix it in 10 minutes.

Tools Required:
Needle nose pliers
Small flat or cube shaped piece of plastic
Hot melt glue gun

If you don't already own one, go buy yourself a hot melt glue gun or borrow your neighbor's. Find a very small piece of plastic (preferably black) and grasp it with the needle nose pliers. I found a piece of plastic that was about the size and shape of a Sen-Sen piece of candy. Most anything will do as long as its small enough to fit inside the hole. It doesnt need to be very thick. In fact, the smaller the better.

Position the plastic inside the door lock hole so that the plastic is centered against the little micro-switch inside the hole. While maintaining a grip on the plastic slowly fill the hole with the hot melt glue. Once you have a small amount of glue inside the hole you can let go of the plastic and pull the pliers out. Then continue to fill the hole with the glue shaping the glue into a "button" so that it sticks out of the hole just a little bit. Try to maintain a convex shape. Depending on how adept you are you can fabricate a half-way decent looking button that will harden in just a couple of minutes. The hot melt glue has a very rubbery feel to it when it cures and will maintain its shape even after repeated pressings. I found using the glue without the plastic backer didn't excerpt enough force against the micro-switch inside the hole to activate it so adding the little piece of plastic as a backer did the trick. If you mess up you can just use the pliers to pull the cured piece of glue out and start over again. It took me two or three attempts before I was satisfied with the job.

I used a clear glue stick because that's all I had on hand. But black sticks are also available. Black would no doubt look more professional but I wasn't too worried about it and my wife is happy again (wife happy, life happy) that she doesn't have to dig around in her purse looking for the key fob to unlock the door.

You may find from time to time that your fabricated button falls out, especially after visiting your local car wash. But I am more than happy to create another one instead of spending hundreds of dollars and hours of time to buy a dealer part.

Good Luck!

Look in the How-to section for a thread on "Broken Door Handle Smart Key Button". The part number and instructions for replacement are in that thread. The part is about $30 and the repair takes about an hour.

I just found out a few days ago mine on the driver side the rubber is cracked at the bottom of the button so looks like that will be the next thing I do.

Latest posts

Back