Roof damage. Can water leak in from loose antenna?

:
East Iowa
:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Went through a nasty storm on Monday. The entire rear of the roof of my cx5 is dented in. The shark fin antenna is loose. It's difficult to get the car in or out of the garage right now with no electricity but there is possible rain tomorrow. My question is, is it possible for rain to leak inside the roof around the antenna?

I would certainly think so. There has to be a hole with a wire passing through it so if it isn't tight against the gasket water could get in. If it is just slightly loose I wouldn't think much would enter, but you may want to wrap duct tape around the bottom edge of the fin to seal it until it can be repaired.

How bout squirt some silicone bathroom caulk / sealant around it ... Keep moisture out and help hold it in place till repair. I wouldn't think silicone would be too hard to remove when repaired.

You out in Iowa? I saw some pics from friends out there. Sorry to hear of the damage.

duct tape? nah - flextape

Yeah I'm in Iowa. Most of the county still out of power. They've got it going to some gas stations at least so people can get gas. Back wall of the shop I work at was torn off. Something hit the roof of the car, dont know what. But the trucks on either side of me were completely destroyed.
And thx for the ideas.

If it were mine I don't think I'd use silicon caulk. It's too hard to remove. It might do the job, though.

My wife once damaged the sharkfin antenna of our Prius.
There is a hole underneath the antenna where the wire go thru the outer body.
So, yes, water could get into the carbin that way if water gets into the antenna.

If possible, I would remove the sharkfin and use a double-sided 3M tape to fix it again. I believe that is how it was installed from factory.

Some good ideas here, I'd use painter's tape and a plastic bag to seal the area. Don't want to mess up the paint finish with a strong adhesive.

I assume he is planning to have the damage to the roof fixed and just needs a temporary fix until this gets done? If so any of these ideas should work.

Painter/paper Tape (the yellow or blue one). Holds water well to some degree. Easier to remove, if any glue left it can be removed with degreaser spray easily and yes, water may get in, so it's best to prevent this.

Thank you all for the advice, and yes I am getting it fixed. Everything is just a little hectic right now. Only just got electricity back Thursday. Lots of places still closed and haven't been able to get a hold of the insurance adjuster yet.

Thank you all for the advice, and yes I am getting it fixed. Everything is just a little hectic right now. Only just got electricity back Thursday. Lots of places still closed and haven't been able to get ahold of insurance adjuster yet
Best of luck getting everything back the way it was.

Back