Rims from Miata to 2000 Protege

:
2018 Mazda 3
I mounted Miata rims (14" - 4x100) on my 2000 Protege (4x100).

The OEM lug nuts from the Protege look like the following with the flat end going against the wheel when tightening:

rb611072.jpg

It looks like the back end doesn't quite cover the wheel hole so I was wondering if I should get some Acorn lug nuts?

The only issue with the Acorn lug nuts I want (from McGard) is that they are 1.45" in length and will protrude from the rim about 0.15".

Er... the OEM lug nuts from the protege are the same as the ones on the miata. And the flat side does NOT go against the wheel, the tapered side does. Putting acorn nuts on Miata wheels is probably a bad idea, as you'll have very little contact on the lug seat.

Kinda like this:
Lug%20Nut%201%20Open%20End.jpg

With the pointy end going into the wheel...

Well my bad! I went home and discovered that after I had taken off the back tires I mounted the lug nuts on backwards. The front wheel lug nuts were correct so Discount Tire was innocent.

So fail on me! I'm not use to small lug nuts and was in a hurry when I mounted the tires.

(stash)

Do you have the Miata 'daisy' wheels mounted on your Protege? I am thinking of trying this but I have heard some people say that the wheels contact the brake calipers and you need to use spacers.

I've never heard that before. A buddy of mine used to autocross a Protege w/ Miata wheels, never had an issue.

This is the wheel I bought. It did seem close to the brake caliper but is not touching that I can tell (or hear). I did have to buy one center wheel cap and it cost me $30.00 because I had to buy it new. The 4 wheels only cost me $100.00.

ALY64816U.jpg

Those also aren't daisy wheels.
These are:

91alloy.jpg

If you can spin it freely by hand once the wheel is on and torqued down, then it's not touching anything.

Those are a great wheel. Nice and light, and good looking. If I were 4-lug I would definitely opt for those too, given the chance.

Latest posts

Back