Rim width clearance question

Keanman

:
2013 CX-5 GX FWD (Touring)
Hey everybody,

I'm looking at upgrading my steel rims and while I would prefer to get the 17" EOM alloys, I'm starting to look at what I can get in the way of after markets. I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to this stuff so I was wondering if any tuners or CX-5 owners could help. As far as I can tell the stock rims are 17x7 and the OEM 19s are 19x7. What are your guys thoughts on a fit for:

17x7.5
or
17x8

Is there enough clearance?

Thanks in advance.

Hey everybody,

I'm looking at upgrading my steel rims and while I would prefer to get the 17" EOM alloys, I'm starting to look at what I can get in the way of after markets. I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to this stuff so I was wondering if any tuners or CX-5 owners could help. As far as I can tell the stock rims are 17x7 and the OEM 19s are 19x7. What are your guys thoughts on a fit for:

17x7.5
or
17x8

Is there enough clearance?

Thanks in advance.

They should fit fine. I think a few are running 9" wide wheels here.

I was in your situation before and wanted to replace my stock rims on my last car but use the existing rubber. I did and regretted it later. For not much more money you can get a set of 22's + rubber and keep your stock steels for a winter setup since you are in canada.

They should fit fine. I think a few are running 9" wide wheels here.

I was in your situation before and wanted to replace my stock rims on my last car but use the existing rubber. I did and regretted it later. For not much more money you can get a set of 22's + rubber and keep your stock steels for a winter setup since you are in canada.

Awesome, thanks for the info. You pretty much hit my plan on the head. I want to get new rims, swap the rubber I currently have and then get Winter tires with studs for the steels in November. What were the issues you had with swapping your tires? My biggest problem with going above 17 is the price. If we go with 18s and new rubber, it should cost about $1800 installed which is a bit more that I can spend right now. That's why I was leaning towards a rubber swap so I could spend more on the rims themselves and still be within budget.

The problem I'm coming across is finding the right 17 that will fit the bolt pattern. They are few and far between and none have the black with machined face that I think would look amazing. It seems like if I step up to 18, there is a much larger selection for 5x114.3.

Last edited:
There was no issue but remorse on not going with bigger after market rims.

Big rims look so nice on this car!

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817413-Matte-White-CX-5

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back