Rim coating issue

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I aired up my tires today and the rim coating on one tire pealed away in two places. I am unaware of hitting the rim on anything. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there an adhesive that I can use to glue it back on?

Tire1.JPG
Tire2.JPG
Tire3.JPG

That looks like remnants of the plastic film that covers the wheels from the factory.

A miss in prep before delivery. If you try grab and pull, it will come off.

2x on what @SonicBoy said. This is the plastic film from transport on the wheel. If you can't grab it to pull it off, then you have a few options.

* ignore it until it goes away (wears away)
* use a lighter and melt it back; that plastic has a MUCH lower melting point than the tires and the finish of the wheels shouldn't be impacted
* take it to a local tire spot, and have them unmount & mount the tire; my local llantera wouldn't even charge for this.
* take it to the selling dealer for a unmount & mount the tire; get a free car wash out of them :)

^^ What they said. I think I used tweezers or needle nose pliers to pull the few bits I had off of my own wheels.

Haha you guys were right! I have had my car almost 2 year, checked air pressure and washed numerous times and I never saw it before. I must be blind. And feeling silly about thinking it being a colored clear coat coming off.

Peel1.JPG
Peel2.JPG

I was shocked too when I got the car as new...till I found the same. They never removed all the plastic properly in my case :)

You may not have seen it until now after all that time as the plastic starts to shrink and dislodge from the rim. Easy for pre-prep at the dealership to miss when brand new.

Glad it was a simple fix giving you peace of mind.

same thing on my tires ... freaked me out until
I realized what was going on.... all my tires had pieces
of plastic still on them...

I've had my 2021 for two days, just pulled the bits of plastic off the wheels.....

And thanks to this forum, checked tire pressures. 43 psi. I was disappointed when I realized that the TPMS doesn't show pressure in each tire.

I'm disappointed that the dealership (you know, the "professionals" that know the car better than anyone ;-) ) gave it to you with the tires overfilled by about 25%. Then how do they expect you to trust or believe any work they do going forward? Shame businesses work like this. SMH!

I'm disappointed that the dealership (you know, the "professionals" that know the car better than anyone ;-) ) gave it to you with the tires overfilled by about 25%. Then how do they expect you to trust or believe any work they do going forward? Shame businesses work like this. SMH!
I had read here that dealers often forget to deflate the tires to 35 psi after they arrive over-inflated for shipping. I thought the ride was a little harsh (I've only done 50 miles or so), and then I remembered to check the tire pressures. That's also when I was surprised to find I couldn't check pressures with the TPMS.

I am using the MyMazda app, and for some reason the 2020's will show tire pressures on the app, but not 2021.

I am using the MyMazda app, and for some reason the 2020's will show tire pressures on the app, but not 2021.
I have a 2020 CX-5 Signature and the MyMazda app on my iPhone; I can't find anywhere where the app even mentions tires, much less gives pressure. Where in your app do you find this info?

Select Status. About halfway down the screen it says "Vehicle Status" with an arrow pointing up. Press the arrow and the screen expands upwards. Now you can see an image of the car, and there should be a tire pressure displayed for each corner. You may need to drag the top of the screen down to refresh.

Page 47 of the Connected Services manual shows two Status screens, a Type A and a Type B. Page 4 of the Connected Services manual says that Type A screens are for 2020, and Type B are for 2021. Note that Type A shows tire pressures, Type B does not.
Connected Services.JPG

Last edited:
Select Status. About halfway down the screen it says "Vehicle Status" with an arrow pointing up. Press the arrow and the screen expands upwards. Now you can see an image of the car, and there should be a tire pressure displayed for each corner. You may need to drag the top of the screen down to refresh.

Geez! Even if this works, what's the point? If the system has the ability to show tire pressure, wouldn't it be easier to just add the option on the dash?

Where do you find dynamic information about the car on MyMazda? I have the MyMazda app and it only has static information on it. It has my mileage but it is off by 500 miles or so, and a page to find a dealership.

It must depend on the type of TPMS your vehicle uses. I don't know which models have the TPMS pressure modules in the tires. My CX5 doesn't have them, it uses a system that detects a change in pressure without actually monitoring the PSI.

Back