Rhythmic squeak coming from engine bay

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
I've recently noticed a squeak coming from the engine bay while the car is idle. To me it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side. It's rhythmic and sounds like a bird chirping.

I thought it was the belts so I tightened them some. The squeak still persists. Anyone else experience this before?

Last edited:
I usually get this only on the freeway when going above a certain speed (75 mph). I'm not exactly sure what it is also, would like to know though

My first thought was a bad pulley bearing. My PS pump makes a noise like this when I first start up on a cold morning. When you increase engine speed, does it go away? Are you sure it is coming from the driver's slide? There's not much over there to squeak.

I can't hear it when I'm driving; only when I'm idling. I didn't think there would be anything on the driver's side that would cause the noise, however, when I open up the hood while it's idling in my garage, it sounds like it could be coming from both sides to be honest...LOL.

probably echoing around the engine bay. anyway, squeaks are usually belts or pulleys. try a belt conditioner spray(stickies up the rubber). maybe just time for new belts. check for any fluids that may have leaked on belt or pulley as well. it maybe the water pump going as well, but usually this is a low squeak if even heard.

probably echoing around the engine bay. anyway, squeaks are usually belts or pulleys. try a belt conditioner spray(stickies up the rubber). maybe just time for new belts. check for any fluids that may have leaked on belt or pulley as well. it maybe the water pump going as well, but usually this is a low squeak if even heard.

I hope the belts aren't going considering that I just changed them 3K miles ago. And I think you're correct in that the sounds tend to echo around down there.

Last edited:
You could try one of these,...

CHT171L_zps617f72ed.jpg

Or a long screwdriver. (just be all careful not to stick it in a moving pulley)

High pitched sounds can still be hard to pinpoint even with a stethoscope.

OK...so I found out what the sound was! It's the clutch fork. When I step on the clutch pedal, the squeak goes away. If I move the clutch fork with my hand I can replicate the squeak/chirp. It's metal-on-metal contact sound.

Anyone know where to grease it from? I installed a new clutch, flywheel, master and slave cylinders 5 mos. ago.

Back