2017~2024 Review of 2019 Mazda CX3 and SkyActiv X engine

Not a ton that is terribly new but nice none the less. I wonder when the 2019 3 will go on sale?

Not a ton that is terribly new but nice none the less. I wonder when the 2019 3 will go on sale?

That matte black Mazda is just a test mule for the new skyactiv x engine. Look up the Mazda Kai concept if you want an idea of what the new one will look like.

That matte black Mazda is just a test mule for the new skyactiv x engine. Look up the Mazda Kai concept if you want an idea of what the new one will look like.

Yeah, I know. I think I have watched 10+ of these video's! I wonder if the new 2019 Mazda 3 will get introduced in the fall of 2018 or will it actually be sometime in the spring of 2019.

Yeah, I know. I think I have watched 10+ of these video's! I wonder if the new 2019 Mazda 3 will get introduced in the fall of 2018 or will it actually be sometime in the spring of 2019.
I'm wondering the same thing as I'm going to downsize for my next car and will be in the market for a hatchback.

One thing that stood out in the video of the 3 was the real tail light setup. Thomas mentions that it is a prototype but was told that it is very close to being the production style. I am assuming there will be a cover for that assembly. Whether it will be flush or protruding is the question. Seems most car designs are going with a 3d style tail light look.

Just a thought, as it appears the spark plugs are only operating some of the time, will we have lifetime "non replaceable" spark plugs? In theory they should last a lot longer. What do people think?

Just a thought, as it appears the spark plugs are only operating some of the time, will we have lifetime "non replaceable" spark plugs? In theory they should last a lot longer. What do people think?

Depends on the conditions. They will be used pretty regularly in colder conditions where compression ignition is more difficult to accomplish.

Thomas over at Autogefhl recently put up this video. The CX3 style is quite different. He also drives a car equipped with the SkyActiv X engine. Very informative

https://youtu.be/Jgsug4KkAqM

Finally watched it. Thomas made mention that the tech could be added to other engines. Let's see if a 2.5L SkyActiv-X will eventually be released

The spark plugs operate each time a cylinder fires.

Not during compression mode. The way I understand it the computer will use the spark plug if conditions are not met.

Thats true for pure HCCI, but this engine does not work that way. It does indeed use the spark plugs for each revolution because the compression ignition comes from an expanding fireball ignited by a spark.

There's two modes:

Standard spark w/ normal flame front ignition
Spark ignited compression ignition where they use the overpressure from a spark-ignited "bubble" to suddenly ignite the rest of the fuel/air mixture

This works better in the real world than pure HCCI

Last edited:
Back