REVIEW: Apex rooftop cargo box

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I bought this APEX rooftop cargo box from Amazon for about $180. It is now available from eTrailer for $168.

This box is one of the lower priced available and while it has some shortcomings it fits well and adds considerable storage for travel or camping.

"46-5/8 x 27-3/8 x 17-5/16. Roof box mounts to crossbars with U-bolts and hand knobs. Locking lid opens from the side. Carries camping gear, sports equipment, and other cargo on small to mid-size vehicles. Durable, HDPE thermoplastic construction."

It is different from a Yakima box I have because of the hinges and prop rods but the box material seems the same as Yakima.

The hinges and supports on the Yakima don't really work any better.

20200331_110305.jpg

20200331_110319.jpg

The box is easy to assemble and you can nest the top and bottom together for storage.

I did have trouble with the locks. This box uses snap locks on all four sides to ensure it won't open accidentally.

The problem was that the latches weren't located properly so I had to drill the rivets out and remount them so I could use the key locks. I had to go buy rivets to get the right size.

20200331_110338.jpg

I wish the box was a little shorter as it won't clear my garage door. Otherwise it is a good fit for a cx5 or other similar vehicle.

Excellent review, thanks for posting it! (y)

Quick heads up, you can also post reviews in our new Resources section...I used it to post a link to this very thread...

Back