Reusing Crush Washer

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
The oil plug crush washer looked to have plenty of thickness to reuse it. So I reconditioned it, took a couple minutes with tools I had handy. Sanded it on a flat surface with 1200 grit sandpaper to get all ridges out and to flatten it, and then annealed it by hitting it with the torch for a few seconds to make it soft again. I will use it on my next oil change. Yes I know they are cheap but I like to recycle if possible.

After sanding
Recycle1.jpg

Annealing it
Recycle2.jpg

Finished
Recycle3.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's dedication!
Curious why you felt it should be annealed as well as flattened.
In the good old days, I'd been known to reuse crush washers with NO preparation, and no ill effects, no leaks. Maybe I was lucky.

Now that's dedication!
Curious why you felt it should be annealed as well as flattened.
In the good old days, I'd been known to reuse crush washers with NO preparation, and no ill effects, no leaks. Maybe I was lucky.

It had some crush marks, and aluminum gets hard when it is compressed. I suppose it might work without doing anything, but for me, it was either recondition it to reuse it, or use a new washer. I don't recommend a crush washer that has crush marks to be reused.

Annealing it was a cool idea. Fixes any stress in the crystalline structure from being crushed.

I don't even know what annealing is, but you are now the Recycle King around here.
/Bows My Liege.

Never changed one in my life on any car. Never had a oil leak on any. But they are cheep about .85 cents. Doesn*t hurt to change it.

God Mazda parts catalogs suck! Trying to determine what the crush washer P/N is for the 2019 CX5 Sig 2.5L Turbo. Of course 2019 CX5 Sig isn't shown, so I try 2018 CX9 Sig and I get down to the part in the diagram Drain Plug Gasket - Mazda (9956-41-400) and it says it fits my vehicle. But down in the description it says "Without turbocharger". WTF???

So - what Drain Plug Gasket fits a CX5 2.5L Gas Turbo???? Is 9956-41-400 more-or-less universal? The Vehicle Fitment for 9956-41-400 shows it fits 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring, Signature, Sport, Touring 2.5L L4 - Gas Aren't they turbos?

Last edited:
The Drain Plug Gasket - Mazda (9956-41-400) better fit. I bought two packs of 5 of them off of Amazon for about $7 per pack and am getting ready to do the first oil change on my 2019 GT-Reserve w/2.5L turbo tomorrow. I will report if there are any issues.

Last edited:
I just reuse it myself, no leaks so far.

Yeah, I'm a serial re-user myself (in cars much more expensive) and never had a problem. IMO, the "crush" these washers provide is mainly to prevent stripping the oil-pan's threads. Not to stop leaking. So as long as you take care and don't overdo that final 1/4 turn, you'll be fine. But it's nice to have some spares. Buying one at a time gets cost prohibitive. So I'm probably looking for a lifetime supply.

The Drain Plug Gasket - Mazda (9956-41-400) better fit. I bought two packs of 5 of them off of Amazon for about $7 per pack and am getting ready to do the first oil change on my 2019 GT-Reserve w/2.5L turbo tomorrow. I will report if there are any issues.

That's the correct part number for the washers.

To anyone freaking out about whether or not the washers are the right ones to use or not, there's a simple solution. Pick up the phone and call the Mazda dealership's parts desk. They can find the correct part for you and provide part numbers if necessary.

That's the correct part number for the washers.

To anyone freaking out about whether or not the washers are the right ones to use or not, there's a simple solution. Pick up the phone and call the Mazda dealership's parts desk. They can find the correct part for you and provide part numbers if necessary.

Oh, the same parts department that told me to use 0W20 oil? (Note: I already that's wrong for a turbo).

Last edited:
Oh, the same parts department that told me to use 0W20 oil? (Note: I already that's wrong for a turbo).

Ok, if you had a bad experience with one dealership, don't use that dealership anymore. Call a different one. They're not all the same.

$5.40? My Fumoto valve essentially paid for its self and then some by now.

....now when is Corksport coming out with a race crush washer?

The crush washer is like $1 actually. At least, that's what the parts guy said they're supposed to cost as he threw a washer in each filter box I bought (threw them in for free).

I did my first oil & filter change on my GT-R yesterday at just over 1200 miles. The Drain Plug Gasket - Mazda (9956-41-400) is correct and the factory filter that was installed on the car was a PY8W-14-302.
I had a pack of new crush washers handy and another factory filter. I had been thinking about using an oversize Mobil 1-110 or Fram Ultra #XG7317 filter for future oil changes but it appears that the plastic access panel on the underbody shroud may not provide enough clearance. The # 110 measures 3.62" high. The factory equivalent Mobil 1 # 108 measures 2.75" high so I will have to stick with that or maybe buy both and do a dry trial with the #110 and see if it will just clear the panel.
I did drain more than 5 quarts from the engine, probably pretty close to 5.25 quarts.

I have reused crush washers on drain plug with no ill effect. I have never sanded them or anything. I just reused them.

Back