Report: Diesel CX-5 Discontinued

:
Texas
:
'20 CX-5 Signature
"...a tentative fleet ordering schedule from May indicates 2020 CX-5 production is set to end this month, with 2021 CX-5s estimated to be built in August. Although Mazda declined to confirm the accuracy of the info, this presents the possibility that shoppers may not be able to buy a diesel CX-5 for the 2020 model year." - Did Mazda Quietly Kill The CX-5 Diesel?

Time's up! If there's no 2020, there probably won't be a 2021, either.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic
The main reasons other manufacturers are sticking with ancient touchscreen technology is because they are unimaginative, and they are cheap
Tesla just entered the chat.

I mean, there's always going to be purists and "old folk" who prefer the older way, but for this 40+ year old guy, Tesla's screen is pretty intuitive and almost everyone I know who has one says they think its a huge improvement over what they owned previously.

And, in the US you can get a "Cheap" Tesla for around 40k.

:
Mazda CX-5 GSX 2.2d 2017
Down under it makes sense where d is $1.40 litre and p is $2.00 litre.
At 6.5 litres / 100 km (36 mpg) average we‘ve saved $4000 in the passed 2.5 years. The turbo diesel it producing near maximum torque from idLe. It transforms the cx5 to a relaxed but torquey drive. Great on longer distance trips. Tank fills are infrequent as well with 540 miles to empty.

In all a very good motor option.

:
2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black
Down under it makes sense where d is $1.40 litre and p is $2.00 litre.
At 6.5 litres / 100 km (36 mpg) average we‘ve saved $4000 in the passed 2.5 years. The turbo diesel it producing near maximum torque from idLe. It transforms the cx5 to a relaxed but torquey drive. Great on longer distance trips. Tank fills are infrequent as well with 540 miles to empty.

In all a very good motor option.
Yeah, I badly wanted that. Settled for an 18 2.5NA. Wish I could have had the same car but with a 2.2T with performance and mileage like yours.

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Diesel is popular in Europe so it is understandable the Mazda produces a CX 5 with that motor for that market. They clearly missed the mark when they tried to sell it in the US though. I remember years ago a dealer in St. Louis was trying to unload five Isuzu Troopers with turbo diesels and nobody wanted to buy them. That was a mistake in my opinion as they were probably great SUVs and had I had the money at the time I would have bought one in a New York minute. If Mazda had turboed their diesel for the US market it would have made more sense.