Replacing CX5 OEM battery with a Group 35 AGM equivalent

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Ha! So since this post started I started to notice that my CX-5 was just a touch slower turning over than it has been. It got worse as the temps dropped. So I got out my tester today and tested my Duralast AGM, 4-year old (12/22/16) battery and yup, it's bad. Headed to Walmart to pick up an $89 EverStart Maxx battery. I've got my Solar Memory Holder cable and my Clore Automotive 12v battery pack ready to go for the exchange.

Reactions: hmw
:
2016, 2021 CX-5
Put a Kirkland battery in my 2016 when it was 2 years old. The OEM battery is utter crap. The Kirkland has been working great for 3 years. Our driving pattern is hard on batteries and we live in Ontario so winter can be tough. I had good luck with Wal-Mart batteries in a Rav4 a few years ago.

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Which year CX5s have the i-eloop system and how do you know if a battery supports it?

Did you read the link @DrElectron posted?

"Beginning model year 2014, Mazda has introduced a regenerative engine braking system called i-ELOOP, short for "Intelligent Energy Loop." In this system, a capacitor is used to store electrical energy generated during deceleration. In a conventional system when the vehicle slows or stops, energy is wasted. "
Now to be fair this is a broad statement across all Mazda models.

then you type "i-eloop" into the search function on this forum:
and this:

But I wasn't convinced.. so I asked google this "i-eloop mazda cx-5"

and found this article from 2013

and from Mazda:
"This means the i-ELOOP system goes hand-in-hand with Mazda’s i-stop technology, as launched on the Mazda CX5 crossover and all-new Mazda 6 saloon and estate variants."

---I think this was a global launch that North America didn't see

So does your CX-5 start/stop function to save fuel?
-----If No then stop decision tree you vehicle is NOT using a i-ELOOP battery
-----If yes proceed
-------Go to your Fuel Economy Monitor under Applications. The first two pages should be info regarding i-Stop and i-ELOOP
-------If Yes your vehicle uses a i_ELOOP battery
-------Verify by seeing the indicator in the instrument dash cluster

== how do you know if a battery supports it? Simple the battery manufacture will tell you

some examples:

:
2017 CX-5 Sport
I put a Optima Red Top battery in my 2017 CX-5 Sport after a 2 week stint of not driving my car killed my battery (to the point that my keyless entry didn't even work). After changing out the battery I've had absolutely no issues, no warnings on the dash either.

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
I'm taking my 19 into the dealer this week to replace the battery. My wife ran it down completely dead and I don't trust it anymore. It charged up OK but you never know. Don't want to get into a situation where we're in an isolated area and the car won't start. Last time it took Mazda roadside 8 hrs to find somebody to assist us.
Anyway, replacement battery is 150.00 and I have a 20.00 coupon. Plus I get the OEM guarantee.

:
2020 CX5 Signature
I put a Optima Red Top battery in my 2017 CX-5 Sport after a 2 week stint of not driving my car killed my battery (to the point that my keyless entry didn't even work). After changing out the battery I've had absolutely no issues, no warnings on the dash either.
Out of curiosity: Given that a RedTop35 Battery is 2.5 times as expensive as an Interstate Group 35 battery from Costco, can you offer reason/features as to why the battery is good value?

:
Phoenix
:
2020 CX5 signature
Out of curiosity: Given that a RedTop35 Battery is 2.5 times as expensive as an Interstate Group 35 battery from Costco, can you offer reason/features as to why the battery is good value?
Here in Phoenix heat kills a battery, and you can expect it to last 2-3 years tops, in general. And unlike cold climates where you may get a hard cold start as an early warning, here, literally middle of the day, you go to the grocery store and come out 30 minutes later and bamm, dead, nada, zilch, not even a click, click click.

So, you buy a battery with a non-prorated warranty, like Costo, then after 2.5 years when it test low, 25% life left, you go to Costco and get your replacememnt, or Auto Zone, but costo is like $75.00.

I'm sure there's differences, but in PHX it's going to die in less than 3 years anyway, so I'm not bothering with $200 when $75 works.

YMMV

Last edited:
:
2017 CX-5 Sport
It Has better Cold Cranking Amps, about 3x the Lifespan of a standard battery, it's spillproof meaning mounting is never an issue, 15x more vibration resistant, faster charge rate, and they are good to -50F.

Straight from the OPTIMA site:

A battery is just a battery. Right?

Wrong!

The sophistication and number of automotive electronics are drastically increasing. Whether it's original equipment or the accessories you've added, you're drawing more power from your battery than ever before. Choosing the right OPTIMA battery will help you keep the tunes playing, the lights on and the engine starting.

OPTIMA batteries are the choice among performance enthusiasts who want to add more power to their adventures. Thanks to proprietary SPIRALCELL & PUREFLOW TECHNOLOGY®, these batteries are up to 15 times more vibration-resistant, which means they can take a lot of abuse both on and off the road, and provide up to three times the life of a traditional flooded battery.

OPTIMA battery grids are constructed of 99.99% pure lead. The purity of the lead provides lower internal resistance for additional power and quicker recharging, corrosion resistance for longer life and reduced self-discharge when stored on the shelf.

The case straps that connect the cells are far more robust than the tombstone welds commonly found in most other batteries. Those robust connections allow for better transfer of energy, both when you're charging your battery and when you need it to deliver power.

OPTIMA's Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) separators hold electrolyte like a sponge to eliminate acid spilling. Each maintenance-free battery is also completely sealed, preventing corrosion and acid spills.

Last edited:
:
CX5 GT
If you charge the agm accordingly
I think they would last more time than the non AGMs. Thats the biggest problem with most car batteries, undercharging and constant low state of charge.
Some AGMs actually perform better to the heat and cold as well.
Good purchase. Enjoy.

:
2019 CX-5 Sig
It Has better Cold Cranking Amps, about 3x the Lifespan of a standard battery, it's spillproof meaning mounting is never an issue, 15x more vibration resistant, faster charge rate, and they are good to -50F.

Straight from the OPTIMA site:

A battery is just a battery. Right?

Wrong!

The sophistication and number of automotive electronics are drastically increasing. Whether it's original equipment or the accessories you've added, you're drawing more power from your battery than ever before. Choosing the right OPTIMA battery will help you keep the tunes playing, the lights on and the engine starting.

OPTIMA batteries are the choice among performance enthusiasts who want to add more power to their adventures. Thanks to proprietary SPIRALCELL & PUREFLOW TECHNOLOGY®, these batteries are up to 15 times more vibration-resistant, which means they can take a lot of abuse both on and off the road, and provide up to three times the life of a traditional flooded battery.

OPTIMA battery grids are constructed of 99.99% pure lead. The purity of the lead provides lower internal resistance for additional power and quicker recharging, corrosion resistance for longer life and reduced self-discharge when stored on the shelf.

The case straps that connect the cells are far more robust than the tombstone welds commonly found in most other batteries. Those robust connections allow for better transfer of energy, both when you're charging your battery and when you need it to deliver power.

OPTIMA's Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) separators hold electrolyte like a sponge to eliminate acid spilling. Each maintenance-free battery is also completely sealed, preventing corrosion and acid spills.
Quoting a company's marketing material as if its an unbiased fact is almost as bad as posting something from Scotty.