Removing glue residue left on aluminium rims

DanInAMazda

:
2015 Mazda5 GS
I bought my car during the winter and they wrapped up the mounted summer tires in plastic bags which I stored in my garage.

Today, I wanted to swap the winter tires with the summer tires. After I unwrapped them, I noticed that each spoke, on each rim, had glue residue. So far, 45 mins in on one, with various soaps and rubbing alcohol, there is still some residue left!

Looking for ideas and inspiration to finish this.

Last edited:
I did not try Goo-Gone. Assuming it would be safe for the rims?

Three rims are like this:
CCNX8tB.jpg

One has considerably less, but still some "streaks" to be removed. Gave up after 45 mins working on the first one.

Goof-off, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, gasoline. If none of those work its time to buy new wheels lol

Before I do this, I'm going to give the ol' dealer a call... this is uncalled for IMO. I bought the car in Dec and they stuff these in the back when I brought the car home.

I have never heard of a dealer "including" winter or summer wheels and tires with a new car. I think its awesome they do that. Another product worth trying would be a Cosmoline remover... Good luck with it either way

I know what not to use. Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

Been there. Wish I wouldn't have done that. :D

Goo gone or zippo type lighter fluid always seems to work best for me on adhesives. Then usually follow up with some soap and water... Then I would wax it with a synthetic paint protectant.

Always test an inconspicuous area before... (RTM)

MEK ftw!! If its still there after a dose of that stuff it simply WILL NEVER COME OFF. But it is kinda toxic lol

I bought my car during the winter and they wrapped up the mounted summer tires in plastic bags which I stored in my garage.

Today, I wanted to swap the winter tires with the summer tires. After I unwrapped them, I noticed that each spoke, on each rim, had glue residue. So far, 45 mins in on one, with various soaps and rubbing alcohol, there is still some residue left!

Looking for ideas and inspiration to finish this.

Try brake cleaner. Just don't drown it, also observe as you do so.

Brought them to the dealer, which took 90% of it off. When I went to put them on this morning, I noticed there was still some streaks left... screw it, they're going on.

You could try a magic eraser or even a 3m wonder wheel. Goo Gone is definitely safe/works, but requires a lot of elbow grease.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back