Removing ball joint from control arm

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Eventually I will need to replace my ball joint and the tie rod end. The rubber boots are all cracked open.
Anybody managed to replace the lower control arm ball joint?
I would prefer doing that, since it is much cheaper. I have access to presses, at my workplace.

Nah, I figured when that times comes (at least for the front) I'd get the hardrace LCA with higher [performance bushings.https://www.hardrace.com/VEHICLE_Search.asp?Car_Make=12&Car_Model=145&Car_Type=288

Last edited:
Some places sell a split CV joint boot so you don't have to go through all that. I don't know if one is available for CX 5

Not sure what you are looking for here. The ball joint on the 2014 is made to be pressed out. Especially if your car is a California car with no rust this should be a breeze. You need some decent snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring. Your press and 2 cups of the right size to press and receive the ball joint - though a ball joint tool (huge sturdy c-clamp and cups) will also work.
The tricky part is not pressing the ball joint but rather removing the pinch bolt that holds the ball joint to the steering knuckle and removing the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Again - with no rust this is not too much of a challenge, but for rust belt mechanics you have to know a few tricks. Heat and vibration on the pinch bolt may be necessary to avoid snapping off the head. Getting the ball joint out of the steering knuckle you can go nuts with a pickle fork since you are not reusing it. Sometimes getting some pressure on the ball joint with a long pry bar and hitting the steering knuckle with a hammer is enough to get it to pop out. Similar tricks with the outer tie rod - usually easier access to get a pitman arm puller on it and a couple of strikes with a hammer will get those separated from the steering knuckle. Good luck with your repair.

Back