Remove/Replace Headlight - 2010 CX9 GT - Seal to stop condensation

racerdtx

:
2010 Mazda CX9
What a mess!!! My driver's side headlight has been taking on water/condensation. So I searched for a new/used one on eBay. This is for a 2010 CX9 grand touring with the factory HID. Seller advertised an 09 with HID and that it would fit through 2012. Got a good deal on it. Took the freaking bumper off tonight to install headlight (that is crazy) and then realized the used one doesn't have the HID ballast screwed on the bottom like my original. Investigated some more and it appears to be a regular halogen assembly. It has a the H11 for low beam.

So I proceeded to try to reseal my original HID light. The dealer did it once and it lasted for a few years.

Couple questions after this ordeal... does anyone know if the 2009 HID assembly is in fact the same one for 2010 like the eBay seller advertised? I want to have them pick this light up and give me money back....it was not as described. They said it would come with HID ballast, bulb, etc.

Has anyone had any luck sealing up a headlight and stopping condensation/water?

Thanks,
Deanne

What a mess!!! My driver's side headlight has been taking on water/condensation. So I searched for a new/used one on eBay. This is for a 2010 CX9 grand touring with the factory HID. Seller advertised an 09 with HID and that it would fit through 2012. Got a good deal on it. Took the freaking bumper off tonight to install headlight (that is crazy) and then realized the used one doesn't have the HID ballast screwed on the bottom like my original. Investigated some more and it appears to be a regular halogen assembly. It has a the H11 for low beam.

So I proceeded to try to reseal my original HID light. The dealer did it once and it lasted for a few years.

Couple questions after this ordeal... does anyone know if the 2009 HID assembly is in fact the same one for 2010 like the eBay seller advertised? I want to have them pick this light up and give me money back....it was not as described. They said it would come with HID ballast, bulb, etc.

Has anyone had any luck sealing up a headlight and stopping condensation/water?

Thanks,
Deanne

Whoa, sorry to here about your troubles, just some suggestions and comments, see below:

1) are you sure 2007-2009 headlights are the same as 2010 ? I believe the 2007-2009 headlights have a visible black plastic trim, see below:

2) if you want to try to reseal, I have done this in the past with success, you need to remove headlight and use a hot gun or hair dryer to soften up the seal around the edges and remove rubber seal and reapply a new seal of butyl rubber all around, very tedious and time consuming:

3) I checked and you are right, the 2010-202 HID headlamp assemblies are $$$$ probably because they include the HID components,
TE7051041C (driver side) and TE7051031C(passenger side)

for 2013-2015 years, Mazda sold the HID components separately, so you can get BOTH HID housings for the price of one 2010 HID headlight. BUT NOTE THIS DOES NOT COME WITH THE HID BULB OR BALLAST. you'll have to "harvest" your HID components and put them into the 2013-2015 housings

Maybe consider upgrading your 2010 headlight style to 2013 / 2015, not sure how the new DRL LEDs will light up though since those will need power, you'll probably have to run a wire harness and relay to light up the day time running LED lights, but it'll be cool, you'll be the only 2010 CX-9 with new 2013-2015 headlights, just a suggestion

below is a set of 2013-2015 HID housings on eBay, NOTE THIS DOES NOT COME WITH THE HID BULB OR BALLAST !!! just the housings

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I think the seller I bought from was confused! Lol. I went back and looked at the ad and the headlight and it is definitely 2010 and up style, just not HID like their ad suggested.

Here's the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned). They did list for 2010 and above. Light showed up with 2009 CX9 written in chalk on it so that's where my confusion on the 09 came from. It definitely won't work on the 2010 GT since they all came stock with HID.

Thanks for the tips on resealing. I did line silicone all over the edges like the dealer originally did. Maybe it will work for a bit. I was so sick of the project and had to get the bumper back on that I didn't have time to do much else. Can't believe you have to remove the freaking bumper to change a headlight. Big PITA. I couldn't find any shortcut. Now I need some replacement screws and push clips that are missing and/or damaged. I can tell the dealer left stuff off when they did the job. At least I got most of it back together better than they had it! With the exception of the black wheel molding on the driver's side. I'll need a new one of those. :(

BTW...if anyone is interested in this halogen driver's side headlight (2010+) let me know. I plan to get the seller to take it back but if it saves them the hassle and still makes someone a good deal I'll just sell it.

Back