Remote Key Range In Cabin

Hi guys quick question, how far inside the cabin can I keep the keys for the car to work properly? I know all over the manual it says not to put the keys in the cup holders since it might not get detected from there. So back when we had our CX-5 (which we traded in for the CX-9), I assumed that the only place the key should be while driving is that cubby storage bin under the AC controls.

Just wondering though, would it be all right if we keep the key inside a purse, which is then placed on top of the center arm rest? And what would happen if this purse falls back to the 2nd row seats like during a sudden acceleration from stop?

Reason I'm asking, I keep the keys in my pocket and I don't take it out when I drive. But my wife keeps her keys in her purse and when she drives she has to take it out of the purse and put it in that cubby storage bin under the AC. It's not too much of a problem since we're used to it, but it does get kinda annoying when she has a thousand things in her bag and have to take a minute or two to search for the keys.

Thanks

I drive with the keys in the cup holder and haven't had an issue yet although the keys are in my hand when I press the start button.
On occasions the keys will be in a bag that's on the front passenger seat or floor and it still lets me start the car 90% of the time.
I don't see how it would matter if the bag fell off the centre rest. I had a situation where I started the car then got out with the keys and drove off in a different car leaving the Mazda running. We were able to turn the ignition off but couldn't work out a way to lock the doors (although could possibly manually lock them from inside the car, climb out the boot and then close the boot - better yet.... not be such a dope in the first place!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep my key in my right-front pocket without issue.
I sometimes leave the car running as I slip out to check for mail in my neighborhood's cluster mailbox.
No issue with the car continuing to run; though it does beep at me if I close the driver's door all the way while it's idling.

Long story to say that the key in a purse on the center console will be fine.
The CX-9 will continue running if a quick stop deposits the purse/key in the passenger footwell or sudden acceleration launches it into the second row.

Merely retrieve the purse/key when parked to allow the vehicle to lock.

On my old 08 CX-9 and new 16 CX-9, I keep my keys in my Tumi computer bag behind the driver seat. Drove to work every day for 8 years with that car and never a problem.

Works just great in the back seat or in my pocket.

Last edited:
Back