Relocate Drivers Seat

:
2009 M5 Sport
Legroom in my '09 (and I assume all years) Mazda 5 is OK for short trips but after about 45 min. it's pretty crowded for a 6-footer. Has anybody relocated that seat rearward 3-4 inches? Either in the M5 or a newer CX? The floor contours and the "feet" look like they'll allow it, and the sensor cables are long enough. Only possible hitch I see is access to new bolt locations from underneath.

I wouldn't mess with the seat location, it's a pretty big factor that they take into account when designing the safety system. Have you tried raising or lowering the seat into a better angle? I'm 6' with a bad back and find I can stretch out just barely enough to be comfortable. I also never use the drivers flip up armrest and instead rest my arm on the passengers arm rest.

They sell kits for racing seats that will mount universally. I think no more than 4" will not cause any safety issues...IF DONE PROPERLY.

Just drilling and tapping a new hole in floor sheet metal is not going to be safe. You might need a bracket or a nut welded in.

Has anyone pulled up the carpeting? There are reports of some cars models having more than one mounting point.

They sell kits for racing seats that will mount universally. I think no more than 4" will not cause any safety issues...IF DONE PROPERLY.

Just drilling and tapping a new hole in floor sheet metal is not going to be safe. You might need a bracket or a nut welded in.

Has anyone pulled up the carpeting? There are reports of some cars models having more than one mounting point.
I'll check for additional mounting points. If none, my plan is to use steel plate, 2x6x3/16, bolted thru a front hole to the existing nuts, with new bolts thru a rear hole from the bottom for the relocated attachment.

Latest posts

Back