Relay in the front of the engine compartment?

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
There is a little box on the front of the engine compartment that contains 2 relays and one fuse. I would like to know if the tyco relay which the cover says is for the fan is for the radiator fans or if not what is it for?

There is a little box on the front of the engine compartment that contains 2 relays and one fuse. I would like to know if the tyco relay which the cover says is for the fan is for the radiator fans or if not what is it for?
IMG_20200711_123006299.jpg

The service manual is a bit vague but it's called out as a "relay box" in the cooling system section. What's odd is that there's a separate fan controller module also called out which is bolted to the fan assembly somewhere in there. It looks like the controller module is wired to this relay box and the fans but the manual isn't clear....

Bronco the very first one closest to the oil dipstick. It says fan on the cover of that box. Is that for the radiator fans. I have a touring model. I will try to take another picture and post tonight.

I did a little more research, and it appears there are two options on this relay box.

Option 1 (Single Fan Control):
Circuit 15 - Cooling Fan Relay
Circuit 16 - Seat Warmer Relay LH
Circuit 17 - Fog Light Relay

Option 2 (Dual Fan Control):
Circuit 18 - Cooling Fan Relay #1
Circuit 19 - Seat Warmer Relay LH
Circuit 20 - Cooling Fan Relay #2
Circuit 21 - For Light Relay

001.jpg

002.jpg

Looks like you have option 1, so yes that relay #15 is for the cooling fans.

The picture below is exactly what i have and I have 2 fans attached to the radiator. Am i missing something in this little box. I have the touring cx9

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_201201796.jpg
    IMG_20200716_201201796.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 160
I seems that you do have two relays in there - one is just larger than the other. From what I can see both relay spots are filled.

I know that the one closest to the oil dipstick is for the fan what is the other relay for. The fuse according to the cover is for inj which i am guessing is the fuel injectors. Does anyone have the mazda part number for that fan relay. I have noticed recently that the one fan that used to go on when the car got to a certain temp doesn't come on anymore. It only turns on when i put the a/c on.

I will look at mine a little closer tonight or tomorrow, but I'm starting to wonder if (where that fuse is) somebody has removed the relay and jumped the circuit with the fuse.

So I was way off on my latest thoughts. LOL

You have a different set-up than me, but here are some images of mine for reference.....

Fog_Lights_002.1.JPG

Fog_Lights_060.JPG

Fog_Lights_061.JPG

The only service manual I have is from 2008 and it appears that Mazda changed some things from 07 to 08. The 08 manual implies that tow package equipped vehicles get two fans and non tow package vehicles only have one..

That's strange. I don't have a tow package yet i have 2 fans. One is supposed to come on at a specific temperature and the other is supposed to come on if the engine gets really hot which it never has. I had the same setup on my windstar. The first fuse closest to the dipstick says fan on the cover and the 7.5 amp fuse says inj. on the cover and the last one the relay says s.wamer which is probably the seat warmer. the other stuff is not listed on that little cover. How can i test the fan relay and what is the part number for that relay if it is bad the closest one to the oil dipstick. Thanks again for all of the input really do appreciate it.

I think the Mazda part number is G110-67-730 for the larger relay.

You can also find the Tyco part number for sale (starts with a V).

Did some more reading. All cx9s have two fans but the tow package has a different relay box and two fan control modules. Non tow package models only have 1 controller. I recall that the tow package had a larger transmission cooler and radiator so I guess the second controller is part of the beefed up cooling for the transmission.

Last edited:
You have the single fan system, so you can remove the relay and jump these two wires to turn on the fan.

Cooling_Fan_Single_Fans.JPG

And yes, the big one closest to the dipstick that says Tyco.

Bronco i am kind of confused. I have 2 fans attached to the radiator. Is this still referred to as a single fan system? I am probably going to go with the mazda relay. The tyco relays that they sell are all used don't want to take a chance with ordering one that is also bad. I will jump the wires and see what happens.

Bronco i am kind of confused. I have 2 fans attached to the radiator. Is this still referred to as a single fan system?
Yes. You only have one fan relay, so only one fan. Check the fuse panel; should be only one fan fuse. Not sure if Mazda put dual fan units in all the CX-9's, but that may be the case.

Back