Recirculate Button

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD . 2014 CX-5 GT FWD
Just an FYI in case you get as frustrated as I did recently.

While following a badly tuned diesel truck, I pushed the Recirculate button to cut off the outside air. It wouldn't work. After multiple pushes and cursing, I realized that the reason it wouldn't work was because my HVAC mode button had the window flow setting activated. (no actual front defogger on, just flow)

It seems that some engineer decided that if you were directing air to the window vent, even partially, then you must have fogging and couldn't possibly want recirculated air on because that would make things worse. While I appreciate the logic, I don't like the loss of direct control.

I miss the old manual lever I used to have in past vehicles. If a button is marked recirculate, then that is what it should do - always.

Just an FYI in case you get as frustrated as I did recently.

While following a badly tuned diesel truck, I pushed the Recirculate button to cut off the outside air. It wouldn't work. After multiple pushes and cursing, I realized that the reason it wouldn't work was because my HVAC mode button had the window flow setting activated. (no actual front defogger on, just flow)

It seems that some engineer decided that if you were directing air to the window vent, even partially, then you must have fogging and couldn't possibly want recirculated air on because that would make things worse. While I appreciate the logic, I don't like the loss of direct control.

I miss the old manual lever I used to have in past vehicles. If a button is marked recirculate, then that is what it should do - always.

Ah, but then some idiot would fog up his/her windows, get in an accident, then sue the car company for letting him/her do something stupid. Unfortunately they have to manufacture to the lowest common denominator.

Back