Rear Windows not working. Clicking sound only.

Hi guys. Yes I am a newby. I just bought a 2012 CX-5 2.2L sport from a mate. But both the rear windows have stopped working just before I took her off him.
now I’ve been tinkering around but to no avail.
there is only a relay clicking sound from each window whether you use the driver switch or the rear switch. Like it’s closing the relay but nothing is happening. And it’s boggling my mind because only the rear ones and both have stopped at the same time. At first I thought it’s a fuse but there is only one fuse for all the windows and it is fine.
How would I get to a point of direction and is there a trick to the trade for testing switches/ relays/ motors?

Please check if the non-driver windows have been locked out at the driver's control panel.
There is a button for that.

Upvote 0
Are the child door safety locks off? If on they might interfere with the windows.

Attachments

• CB9B74FF-459C-4C04-A963-E336BDA0BCB6.jpeg
    CB9B74FF-459C-4C04-A963-E336BDA0BCB6.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
.... At first I thought it’s a fuse but there is only one fuse for all the windows and it is fine.....
Have you looked for more PWINDOW fuses in the cabin fuse box? But if there really are no blown fuses, then in order to effectively DIY diagnose this issue, you will need to get the complete power window wiring schematic, for your specific vehicle. Things like power window systems, which used to consist of only switches, fuses, and relays are now typically much more complex and include things like sensors and control modules.

I have no idea how you go about getting vehicle documentation in your country, but I'm assuming there has to be some reasonably cost effective way to do it. Don't make the mistake of trying to use wiring diagrams that are 'close' to your year, make, and model. One small wiring difference is likely to send you in a completely wrong direction and create lots of extra, unnecessary work.

Now if what I wrote above sounds like way more than you want to get involved with, then there's always your local, friendly stealership, or good indy shop that has access to the wiring schematics (a better choice IMO).

Upvote 0
I fixed the problem, here’s another possibility to add to your advice to others.

I found the fuses were fine and the relays on the switches do engage. So I tested for power to the motors by unplugging it. Then sticking the test lamp pin into the plug terminals one by one. Found that the power up and down were both sound. I then removed the motors from the door and plugged it back in. Tested with the switch and the motors do work well.

Then figured it could only be the sliding mechanism that could be a bit stuck. So I pushed down on the window and it freed up. Reconnected everything and sure enough it was fixed.

So a stuck window could also seem like a fuse or bad contacts in the switch or a bad wire or even a dead motor. Thanks for the forum and advice. I’ll definitely be back soon. 🤣 Hopefully not.

Upvote 0
There is a jam safe mode, when foreign matter, like a finger, is detected. There is also an initialization procedure which I had to use in older cars when I disconnected the battery. Looks like that battery disconnects can still cause a re-initialization to be performed.

1621371958869.png

Upvote 0
I fixed the problem. ....
Good to read that you were able to get the problem fixed, and thanks for posting your resolution, which is likely to help others in the future.

I am a bit puzzled though that a single 'jam' condition would disable both rear windows, but neither of the front ones. However, I'll certainly keep this in mind for any future power window failure issues.

Upvote 0
That was my thought as well and they both had to be removed and forced down by hand. Quite a weird find. Possibly due to lack of use in the back?

Upvote 0
.... possibly due to lack of use in the back?
Well I frankly had not even considered that possibility. But now that you mentioned it, yes that surely must be a possibility as well. And it's actually very easy to believe that the previous owner either had no rear seat passengers, or whomever was sitting there didn't choose to open the windows. Your idea IMO is really a much better fit with the specific windows that stopped working, than the 'jam' condition theory is.

Very interesting all the way around, and it's one more of those learning something new every day. Thanks for sharing your findings and ideas!

Upvote 0
Back