Rear view camera

How to add a rear backup camera?

Does or has anyone installed a backup camera on a CX-5 Sport with the HD stereo? Are all the CX-5's with HD stereos prewired for backup cameras? I have a stereo wire diagrahm, but do not see a video input on it. I cannot imagine the HD stereo in the sport is any different than the HD stereo in a GT with a backup camera. Any ideas or speculations out there? I have attached a few PDF's that may be helpful in figuring this out (I don't undstand all of it).

Attachments

• CX-5 Stereo Removal.pdf
    213.1 KB · Views: 627
  • CX-5 Wiring Diagram.pdf
    115.7 KB · Views: 535
  • CX5AudioSysWiring1small.jpg
    CX5AudioSysWiring1small.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 5,122
  • CX5AudioSysWiring2.jpg
    CX5AudioSysWiring2.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 2,656
  • mazda_cx5 rear monitor wiring.pdf
    179 KB · Views: 734
I read that the CX-5 has in effect, a local area network with several computer control units, all connected via a twisted pair. The rear view camera and the rear lighting is all connected to a rear control module and the data is transfered to the video display via the computer control twisted pair. This design greately reduces wiring and weight so there is no video-in line to the video unit and the rear control unit turns lights on as dictated by the central cpu without wiring back to the light switches and turn signals and brake switches etc. It also consolidates the data from the Blind Spot monitoring and rear parking sensors and puts it on the network so the front control unit can turn on the lights in the rear view mirrors and buzzer as needed.

I read that the CX-5 has in effect, a local area network with several computer control units, all connected via a twisted pair. The rear view camera and the rear lighting is all connected to a rear control module and the data is transfered to the video display via the computer control twisted pair. This design greately reduces wiring and weight so there is no video-in line to the video unit and the rear control unit turns lights on as dictated by the central cpu without wiring back to the light switches and turn signals and brake switches etc. It also consolidates the data from the Blind Spot monitoring and rear parking sensors and puts it on the network so the front control unit can turn on the lights in the rear view mirrors and buzzer as needed.

Thanks GAXIBM....that's a lot to take in. lol. So the next question is; would it be possible to figure out which wires in run from the hatch to the stereo that would carry that camera signal? I am to assume to that it is activated by the reverse lights being going on when backing up?

I think the twisted pair is on all models and links all control units. The camera is wired to the rear control module. My guess is some software/firmware and maybe an upgraded rear control module is also requried to get the rear control module to forward the picture to the display unit when you put it in reverse and the display unit will have to know its equiped and display the picture when you put it in reverse. You might take a look at your rear control unit and see if it has a input for the camera... Probably easier to go with aftermarket add ons.

Does anyone know if any kind of software or firmware upgrade is needed? I am purchasing a camera and was hoping to wire it directly into the Bluetooth Video screen that came with the package on my 2014 CX-5. Thanks.

The CX-5 already has a rear view camera... are you adding another one?

The lowest model in USA "Sport" model does not have rearview camera nor a screen for the radio.
Rearview camera is only available in Touring or Grand Touring

You are mistaken. While it has no camera it can have the touchscreen.

I never said it can't, i just said the LOWEST model doesn't have rearview camera or screen, you can get the screen with the power package yes.

I got the Sport CX-5 with the Bluetooth Radio option. I have the touchscreen, but not the rear-view camera. That's why I asked the question. I'm looking for a way to integrate an aftermarket camera into the existing touchscreen radio unit. I could add an aftermarket screen on the dash or elsewhere, but I thought that would just clutter up the area.

I got the Sport CX-5 with the Bluetooth Radio option. I have the touchscreen, but not the rear-view camera. That's why I asked the question. I'm looking for a way to integrate an aftermarket camera into the existing touchscreen radio unit. I could add an aftermarket screen on the dash or elsewhere, but I thought that would just clutter up the area.

I am in the same boat. But i will only do it on the cheap as it isnt very important to me. Mazda gave us 3 mirrors, right?

There was one thread on here that someone was quoted around $300 from the dealer to install it so that gave me hope it was possible but i never saw a follow up on it.

Back