Rear links to adjust toe are siezed.....according to my alignment shop

jdmitchell

:
2009 CX-9 GT with everything except nav
I had my wife's CX9 (2009 GT AWD) at the alignment shop today and they told me that I need new lower links on the rear to adjust the rear toe. They said the rubber bushings between the adjustment bolts were seized and they tried to have me shell out $525 in addition to the price for an alignment. $260 for the links, $80 for the bolts and two hours labor. Excessive? I sure thought so. Anyone had this issue? What I am thinking about doing is soaking the parts in Dexron/kerosene to trying and free up the bushings/adjustment bolts. I really want to get this fixed since other than chewing up tires horribly this has been a super reliable car for my family. Thanks for any input.

Bueller......Bueller?

Anyone home?

Haha classic! anyways I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with them before. It would be a good idea to soak them, PB Blaster is another good one to use. But saturate them a little everyday and give it a go to see if you can bust them free.

I think you're on the right track to soak them. I've heard the best penetrating "oil" is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. Maybe the Dextron/Kerosene will have similar results. Either way, apply and soak for a few days as SHCX-9 stated and try to break them free.

I took my vehicle to another shop and had them bust them loose on my MINI. Then took it back for the alignment that came for 'free' with my tires. The other shop used heat as well to break them loose and charged $42 for the job....

I had to torch the bolt out. It wasn't very fun but at least I can get my wife's car aligned correctly now. I was really getting sick of rear tires literally being eaten alive. I also got the Moog trouble kit (K7256) for extra adjustment in the front. I can't find the Moog kit for the rear but hopefully I don't need it.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

I had to torch the bolt out. It wasn't very fun but at least I can get my wife's car aligned correctly now. I was really getting sick of rear tires literally being eaten alive. I also got the Moog trouble kit (K7256) for extra adjustment in the front. I can't find the Moog kit for the rear but hopefully I don't need it.

Yes, I ended up having to do this. Just had to torch it lightly an it came loose...

Yes, I ended up having to do this. Just had to torch it lightly an it came loose...
I tried heating the inner bolt on the passenger side toe link up, but it wouldn't budge. The outer bolt on the spindle came right off. Not sure why the inner bolt was so corroded but you would think that Mazda could throw a little antisieze in there to help with it.

Back