Rear Bumper Guard

qck

:
Mazda 2011 CX-9 GT FWD
Three questions about this rear bumper guard:

1) Is this worth adding to the CX-9, and are there any benefits to it besides apperance?

2) Does it really make the vehicle look that much better?

3) How does it stay on?

Attachments

• 328359_0000-83-N02_mzd10-000083n02.gif
    328359_0000-83-N02_mzd10-000083n02.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 683
1. It does add some amount of scratch protection to the top of the rear bumper when loading/unloading stuff. However, the thing that is most easily damaged (for me at least) is the rubber weatherstripping that seals the rear hatch. I've torn a big chunk of that out due to a mishap with a dog crate.

2. Bling, bling!

3. It has some 3M adhesive strips on the back side that bond it to the black plastic part of the bumper. There is some primer included in the kit that you clean the bumper with prior to sticking the guard on. Mine has been on for 1.5 years now and still seems secure.

It really is worth it, a must have. For me, its dragging portable chairs, strollers, suitcases, junk in and out of the back. Now mine is black so it has some scratches that are very hard to see, but with a chrome step pad, it may be more noticeable if it gets scratched. One other thing, my black oem pad only covers the top flat portion, and does not curve over the end of the bumper like the new ones. My bumper has some scratches right on the edge cuz the pad does not go down low enough. It really is a must have.

Dealer added mine at no extra charge. I always put this on or have the dealer put it on because I had cars where it didn't have them and it would scratch the top section over time. I also added the bumper protection, that goes from one end of the bumper to the other, got it from BumperDefender.com. Mine's black so it was pretty much a no brainer to pick out the right color: they only have Gloss Black which looked like it came from the factory that way once I put them on. Finally, I have gloss black edge guards on all door edge except for the hood. My last car, 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring was scratched up pretty bad with damages that could have been avoided if I just had been a little diligent like I am doing now with the CX9.

dieseldriver I'd love to see some pics of all you have put on if that is not too much trouble.

When I get a chance this weekend, I'll take some pictures. Haven't added much to the CX9 yet because I've been pretty much focused on getting accessories added to the M5GT almost exclusively. I do like to add the clear bra or the traditional bra to the CX9 to protect the front end. Also, side bumper guard I am thinking about too...
dieseldriver I'd love to see some pics of all you have put on if that is not too much trouble.

I 2nd the Ceric statement. When I saw his, i just had to have one on my car.

Get one.

qck -- here's the photos of the rear bumper guard"s" and the door edge guards.

BTW, that bumper guard you were referring to, I have that as well. I probably will be putting on the 3M clear film on the door panels instead of going with the bumper strips, fronts, probably will be using a bra with strip in the area where the traditional bra will rub against.

Attachments

• IMG_20111028_102955.jpg
    IMG_20111028_102955.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_20111028_102949.jpg
    IMG_20111028_102949.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_20111028_103003.jpg
    IMG_20111028_103003.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_20111028_103043.jpg
    IMG_20111028_103043.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
I thinkyou're mistaken somehow.
The OP was talking about "stainless bumper guard".
Yours in your photo is the factory one, which is an integral part of the bumper (can't remove it).
It is just a portion of the bumper that was not painted.

I was trying to show the "bumper protection" strip that I added.
I thinkyou're mistaken somehow.
The OP was talking about "stainless bumper guard".
Yours in your photo is the factory one, which is an integral part of the bumper (can't remove it).
It is just a portion of the bumper that was not painted.

qck -- here's the photos of the rear bumper guard"s" and the door edge guards.

BTW, that bumper guard you were referring to, I have that as well. I probably will be putting on the 3M clear film on the door panels instead of going with the bumper strips, fronts, probably will be using a bra with strip in the area where the traditional bra will rub against.

Thanks for that - I've got a black CX-9 as well and have been looking at different options, this looks the cleanest. Did you do the front as well, and how many feet did you order?

Incidentally, I've got the 3M protection film, bought it from Amazon the day I got the car. Haven't applied it yet, but I'm not sure if I want to stick to that alone or also get some sacrificial door guards that I can just toss every year or so. The film leaves me thinking that if someone loses a door in the wind and it hits the side of the house, paint chips are flying regardless.

End to end, it's a little over 8' -- so I ordered the 9' Then once I put it on, I have about 1/2' left over. I did not do the front yet, because I may be putting on a stock bra. Just for highway protection. For the front license plate, I may be putting on BumpShox. That I think should protect the front end.
Thanks for that - I've got a black CX-9 as well and have been looking at different options, this looks the cleanest. Did you do the front as well, and how many feet did you order?

Incidentally, I've got the 3M protection film, bought it from Amazon the day I got the car. Haven't applied it yet, but I'm not sure if I want to stick to that alone or also get some sacrificial door guards that I can just toss every year or so. The film leaves me thinking that if someone loses a door in the wind and it hits the side of the house, paint chips are flying regardless.

This is a bit off topic but we got a tone of snow in... October???

Had the chance to test out the AWD of the CX9 and it was kind of like a breath of fresh air. At first, I thought, AWD is kind of overrated... I was 100% wrong. It went up more than 10% grade packed with snow and some ice with no problem at all. I am a believer of AWD!!

Attachments

• Snow CX9.jpg
    Snow CX9.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 326
Yes, if you live in New Jersey, or other cold states with moderate hills. But here in central Kentucky, we have a total of about 15 or 20 days in the winter when the roads are slippery due to ice/snow, however the roads are pretty flat here so it is very manageable. Its funny that the local Mazda dealer pretty much only sells AWD CX-9's which sadly only reinforces the average horrible Kentucky driver's perception that AWD will help them stop faster, and then they wonder why they wreck so much.

I am still careful going down hill, but engine braking on all 4 wheels does help in slowing it down. On the Odyssey we've had, engine braking helped somewhat but the rear end used to swirve as it was slowing down. On turns, recovery time when fishtailing seems to be a lot quicker too. It'll make a cautious driver slightly better, but if you're a wreckless to begin with, as I saw some other drivers doing 70MPH+ on the highway in their Toyota 4Runner or Chevy Tahoe, it's just a matter of time before the laws of physics catch up to you. But at the same time, I do not want to get spoiled driving an AWD car either, rather, want to learn how to drive on any type of car. Back in the 80's -- I learned how to drive in snow in my father's Oldsmobile Cutless Supreme. That car can't stop nor handle, so it was perfect to learn how to calculate when you wanted to stop and where the car would be when you were done stopping LOL :)

Yes, if you live in New Jersey, or other cold states with moderate hills. But here in central Kentucky, we have a total of about 15 or 20 days in the winter when the roads are slippery due to ice/snow, however the roads are pretty flat here so it is very manageable. Its funny that the local Mazda dealer pretty much only sells AWD CX-9's which sadly only reinforces the average horrible Kentucky driver's perception that AWD will help them stop faster, and then they wonder why they wreck so much.

Last edited:
Well fellas, we put on the stainless steel guard AFTER we put some pretty big scratches on the bumper cover edges while loading my Dad's wheel chair into the back of our 09 CX9. It did cover the really obvious marks and looks good too! Is it worth the cost they charge? Lets face it, if we had to re-build our cars through the parts dept. at our local dealorship, we'd be quadrupling the cost of our vehicles!

I also installed the stainless steel bumper guard over the weekend. A MUST have IMO. Makes the car look a lot better.

I sent off for the Bumperdefender 2" sample chips in white and just received them.

Looks like brite white or super white are the best matches for the Mazda Pearl White. (The pearl sample was way too cream/off white).

Anyone put these strips on a white Mazda and have an opinion on which to order?

And has anyone put strips on the front bumper? There's really nowhere to position it where it would do any good.

Last edited:
See my avatar on the left.
Definitely recommend it.

I see that you have an 08. Did you remove the original one (that did not have the extra chrome strip that extended down the corners) and replaced it with the newer one? Did you have it done at the dealer? How much?

Back