2013~2016 Rear brake calipers needed?

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Hi all. I have a 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD w/112k miles on it. It is driven daily. Today after a long drive that was both city & highway, the rear end started making a light - almost squealing - noise. The noise stopped when at a standstill, and persisted while braking and even when coasting in neutral. I immediately thought rear brakes. The pads and rotors aren't that old (just over 1 yr and less than 10k miles) - I change them myself. When I looked at the rear discs, there was rust on the outer side of the rotors. I didn't check the inner side. For the record, these are the pads and rotors I put on the car https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Am I looking at frozen calipers? There is no pulling to either side when braking.

FWIW - I am unhappy with these pads & rotors. They are very grabby, slightly noisy, and warping already.

seems like the caliper slide pins may be frozen. Did you happen to clean/lube them last year when you did your brake job? Sounds like you'll need to get back in there and check out what is going on with the slide pins and inner pads.

That's what I'm thinking also. I did lube them, but probably not as much as I should have. I will also try to "polish" the pins a bit with steel wool... unless that's a bad idea.

Any tips or suggestions are always appreciated!

Update: pulled the rear brakes and the pins were definitely locked. The noise was from the inboard pad's wear indicator. I replaced the pins with new, slathered them with brake grease, and really worked them in and out (of course I also replaced the pads). I should've replaced the rotors as well, but budget constraints. They seem to be much better... but I still worry that I may need new calipers.

Update: pulled the rear brakes and the pins were definitely locked. The noise was from the inboard pad's wear indicator. I replaced the pins with new, slathered them with brake grease, and really worked them in and out (of course I also replaced the pads). I should've replaced the rotors as well, but budget constraints. They seem to be much better... but I still worry that I may need new calipers.
Thanks for the update. One thing you need to make sure when you lube the caliper pins, is to use rubber-friendly silicone caliper pin grease, not any other types of grease.

Which pads do you use this time?

Have you ever replaced the brake fluid yet?

Unless you have a 2016 CX-5 with EPB, chances are very slim that you need a set of new rear disk brake calipers.

Last edited:
@yrwei52
Sorry for the very delayed response! I used a mid-grade ceramic pad from NAPA. The brakes are pulsing quite badly right now. I'm not sure if the rears are grabbing very well - there may still be a caliper issue. But I'm planning on replacing the pads & rotors all around in another month or so. I'm going to go back to OEM pads & rotors.

Back