Really Bad Gas Mileage

RCC

Hi
The gas mileage on my 2000 Protg LX with the 1.8 has recently got really bad. I figured it out and this week I got about 14 mpg. The check engine light has not come on, it runs fine but does have a very small fluctuation in the idle speed. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:
When's the last time u changed the spark plugs, wires, oil change, etc? Occassionally bad
gas mileage can be due to the lack of failure to change on a regular basis. Could also try by getting fuel injector cleaner as well.

It is due far an oil change. The plugs and wires were changed about 7500 Kms ago. I had a look at them to day and they were look fine but they did have a faint gas smell.

I might try the injector cleaner but the car is getting to much gas, it's not like the nozzles in the injector are plugged up.

I am in the same boat. My P5 is new to me but I consider the fuel economy to be uncharacteristically bad for a car of this type. I have had 3 other Mazdas to date that I base my opinion on. Please look at the following thread for my efforts to solve this problem:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123765011

Please post your trials and tribulations. Perhaps one of us will figure this out.

Good luck!

Thanks Larson701. I had a look at your posts and it did give me a few ideas.
I'll check the intake on mine tomorrow and a friend of mine is coming over Monday night to have a look at my car. I'll post anything he might find.

My friend had a look at my car the other day. He had 2 suggestions. The first was to change the oxygen sensors as the car has 126000 Kms and they both probably haven't ever been changed. The second thing he found was that one of the fuel injectors wasn't putting out as much fuel as the other ones. The computer was then compensating for a lean burn situation from the one cylinder by adding more fuel to all the injectors. I'm going to try the injector cleaner first and see what happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good injector cleaner?

My friend had a look at my car the other day. He had 2 suggestions. The first was to change the oxygen sensors as the car has 126000 Kms and they both probably haven't ever been changed. The second thing he found was that one of the fuel injectors wasn't putting out as much fuel as the other ones. The computer was then compensating for a lean burn situation from the one cylinder by adding more fuel to all the injectors. I'm going to try the injector cleaner first and see what happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good injector cleaner?

Unless you have a check engine light, only change the first O2 sensor (in the exhaust manifold). The second sensor has no effect on gas mileage. It only monitors the performance of your catalytic converter.

Unless you have a check engine light, only change the first O2 sensor (in the exhaust manifold). The second sensor has no effect on gas mileage. It only monitors the performance of your catalytic converter.

Thanks for the advice.

How was the output of the fuel injectors determined?

He started the car, plugged in a lap top and after that it was way over my head. Sorry I can't help more than that.

http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx $24 an injector to have them cleaned and flow tested. Generally this is for higher flowing injectors, but I'm sure they will do stock too. You car will just be down for a week or so. Couple of my DSM friends have used this service to great success.

You could always use a fuel additive injector cleaner such as the Lucas Injector Cleaner from you auto parts store. Now whether it actually does anything is up to you to decide. I throw a small bottle into my tank every 10k miles or so, its cheap enough so I don't feel bad if it isnt doing anything.

14 MPG is really bad. How are you calculating it?

I assume you've checked the air filter.

More likely than plugs: alignment, dragging brakes. Are the tires wearing evenly? Do the wheels spin without much effort?

14 MPG is really bad. How are you calculating it?

I assume you've checked the air filter.

More likely than plugs: alignment, dragging brakes. Are the tires wearing evenly? Do the wheels spin without much effort?

My math might be a little off but it's close. I put 10 liters of gas in when low fuel light came on ,set the trip meter and watched what it was at when the light came back on. I did it 3 times and each time was about 58 kms.

Yup, I check the air filter.

Alignment is fine the brakes don't drag the tire wear is even. I can spin the tires if I what to. It's a 5 speed and the clutch feels the same as it always has.

I finally used up a full tank of gas. I was thinking the fuel injector cleaner worked but I still don't think it totally solved my problem. The mileage has got better, I'm not sure of exact numbers right now but I think it could still be better.

How far can you guys go an a full tank?

250 miles, which is very bad. Still trying to find the source of the poor fuel economy.

I purchased a PC-based scanner but have not been able to get it working. Tech logs have been sent to the manufacturer. I am hoping that graphing the engine operation will lead to an understanding of what may be causing the excessive fuel usage.

I tried 2 MAFs that failed on startup. Those have been returned to the parts store. Waiting to see if a refund is received.

A throttle position sensor (TPS) has been ordered. No info on when it will arrive.

Good luck! Keep posting.

250 miles, which is very bad. Still trying to find the source of the poor fuel economy.

I purchased a PC-based scanner but have not been able to get it working. Tech logs have been sent to the manufacturer. I am hoping that graphing the engine operation will lead to an understanding of what may be causing the excessive fuel usage.

I tried 2 MAFs that failed on startup. Those have been returned to the parts store. Waiting to see if a refund is received.

A throttle position sensor (TPS) has been ordered. No info on when it will arrive.

Good luck! Keep posting.

Dude, don't just throw parts at it. That's gonna get really expensive fast.

I finally used up a full tank of gas. I was thinking the fuel injector cleaner worked but I still don't think it totally solved my problem. The mileage has got better, I'm not sure of exact numbers right now but I think it could still be better.

How far can you guys go an a full tank?

Get that front O2 sensor changed!

Hey RCC,

I am still fighting the bad mileage thing.

I finally have the OBDII scanner functioning and believe it points to 2 problem areas, the front O2 sensor and the thottle positioning sensor (TPS). A new TPS should arrive today. I have posted a question if my O2 sensor results merit replacement of the O2 sensor. Trying to approach this as NOT a parts replacement exercise.

Hey RCC,

I am still fighting the bad mileage thing.

I finally have the OBDII scanner functioning and believe it points to 2 problem areas, the front O2 sensor and the thottle positioning sensor (TPS). A new TPS should arrive today. I have posted a question if my O2 sensor results merit replacement of the O2 sensor. Trying to approach this as NOT a parts replacement exercise.

If you're anywhere near 100k miles, that O2 sensor should be changed as preventative maintenance.

I'm not aware of TPS's "wearing out" over time. What led you to replace this first?

My car has a very sensitive throttle, say for the first 10-15% of the travel. Think of the behavior as lively acceleration. Several things led to suspicion of the TPS and it's hard to gather the pieces that led me down this path. Some of this is seat of the pants, others are bits and pieces on the Web. Also, I have noticed other posters here commenting about this 'problem', with no apparent resolution. Some of these same people complain about poor fuel economy.

From day one after I got the car, I have noticed that off-idle acceleration is brisk, enough that I need to really feather the throttle once I am at speed, in town or on the highway. On the Web, there are cases of TPS wear leading to 'out of range' operation of the MAF, basically by exagerrated throttle position signals. The non-linear behavior of my throttle may be part of this. I already have a diagnosis of 'out of range' MAF from a technician, not necessarily a bad MAF but of something related.

The on-highway OBDII scan shows a distinct on-off-on of the cruise control, reinforced by a seat-of-the-pants thing again. At 60 mph, the throttle is operating down in that sensitive part of the throttle range.

Also, there is more to some TPS signals than just the absolute throttle position. The rate of change of the position signal can also be used to enrichen the mixture, similar to the accelerator pumps on carburetors. If the Mazda's have that feature in the ECU programming, the mixture will go rich whenever a quick movement of the throttle is made, especially if the movment is exagerrated by the TPS.

This is a SWAG on my part, supported by some evidence. The TPS is supposed to be here today, an aftermarket piece from Rock Auto. I will document the results. The nice thing is that the scanner helps take some of the guesswork out of the process and provides documentation.

Does anyone know if the TPS is a variable resistance device or a Hall-type device? I can see the variable resistance stuff wearing out.

The TPS is installed. As far as I can tell, there was no real difference in the performance. The throttle feed may not be as quick as before but I have to use my imagination to detect the difference. The scanner graph is a bit flatter but then again...!

I have a new oxygen sensor on the way. Yes, and before anyone says it, this is turning into a parts replacement fest. I have a long trip coming up over Easter weekend and want the car to have its best chance at turning decent fuel mileage.

Last edited:
Back