Real Bad Gas Mileage!

spike blue said:
im agree with you!! I had an msp before that one has the worst milleage gas but i knew that if i get the cx-7 it will be the same or worst but either way i love this SUV and that for me matters!!! and yeah stop complaing enjoy your SUV !!!
My msp gets great gas mileage and I floor it quite a bit.

PuroMexicano said:
UDPATE

The next tank went up to 12.65.

The tank I filled out today went up again to 15.85 !!!!

Still not enough but a lot better!!!!

Another UPDATE, this tank went up to 17.73, I have to say that it was with a lot more highway driving than usual. (ricer)

I was up this time to 17.25 MPG - and I think the change was mostly due to warmer weather and more highway driving last week.

So is it the gas?

CXRabbit said:
I was up this time to 17.25 MPG - and I think the change was mostly due to warmer weather and more highway driving last week.

I know that we are all complaining about the mileage we are getting in the Northeast. However, is it the temp or the gas that is the villian?

We are expecting (-10-20 degrees) farenheit
for the next few days, lets see if it is indeed the temp!

what part of the year do the oil companies go back to "summer formula" fuel?

edit: things still fine today.

Don't know where we are at on this....my latest numbers...mostly city driving...18.75mpg. Using remote start alot too. I am usually always between 18.5-20 mpg city....average driving I'd say. Gas went up lately huh....what amonth ago it was $2.04 and now it's $2.74 in Chicago burbs!

MY MPG has gone down the s*** hole after ecu update but I suppose it makes up for the lag because that was annoying. I LOVE THIS CAR... Can't stress that enough wish it had a pinch more power and better on gas however but wow mazda did a good job on this car drives like a dream.

not to mention the style and looks you get when someone see's you.

my gas mileage was crappy around 14 - 15 mpg switched to royal purple oil synthetic mileage is now between 19 - 20 in the city

My mileage has been improving a lot lately... It could really be the temperature. I was getting 20-21 mpg when i bought the car back in november. Comes january i was getting around 15-17. Now im getting back to 19-20. I just got the PCM update as well.

9Hooker said:
what part of the year do the oil companies go back to "summer formula" fuel?

edit: things still fine today.

With unleaded there is no summer vs winter mix other than some stations may add up tp 10% of ethanol during extream cold, but that is a normal mix in a lot of areas all year long.
Diesel has a winter mix they blend it with a lighter fule to prevent geling.

mwr577 said:
With unleaded there is no summer vs winter mix other than some stations may add up tp 10% of ethanol during extream cold, but that is a normal mix in a lot of areas all year long.
Diesel has a winter mix they blend it with a lighter fule to prevent geling.

Actually, this is not true. From Wikipedia:

Oxygenate blending adds oxygen to the fuel in oxygen-bearing compounds such as MTBE, ethanol and ETBE, and so reduces the amount of carbon monoxide and unburned fuel in the exhaust gas, thus reducing smog. In many areas throughout the US oxygenate blending is mandatory. For example, in Southern California, fuel must contain 2% oxygen by weight. The resulting fuel is often known as reformulated gasoline (RFG) or oxygenated gasoline.

In the midwest, we switch to this gas in the winter. On the coasts, it is typical year-round.

If it wasn't for the gas mileage, this baby would be great!! But getting 18mpg on the hwy and paying around $3.00 a gallon, it gets to be pretty expensive. You can not blame the EPA for what is advertise on the MSRP sticker since they also get thei info from Mazda themselves. So basically some of us got screw by the misleading MPG info. Don't get me wrong, the vehicle is very good but for the price that I paid, could have bought the RV4 with V6 engine and have better mpg.

Also for some of the members in this forums, we are still allowed to say/write what we want in a nice matter, right! It's hard to sell your car back when you won't get enough to payoff the loan!!! or else I would!

Nash04 said:
You can not blame the EPA for what is advertise on the MSRP sticker since they also get thei info from Mazda themselves. So basically some of us got screw by the misleading MPG info.

no, they do NOT. the EPA does its own testing and puts those numbers on the sticker. Mazda has NOTHING to do with it.

meanstreak said:
Not only is my 7 getting good mileage but the CEL lght went out the other day about 2 or 3 days before I brought it in for service. That was the longest it had been out since it started coming on and offdue to code P2006. On Thursday they reset the computer and so far it has not come on. They are waiting for a part... supposedly a stronger spring??

i just had a CEL fixed...intake manifold solenoid valve, i think. my light went on, then off, then flashed on for a few hours, and was off when we took it in.

EDIT: just got 17.3 on my last tank, whihc was 1/3 super-short (2 miles round trip) commuting and 2/3 fast (80-90mph) highway cruising, which the 7 is SOOO good at.

Last edited:
All the nothern states should be moving to summer gas at this time, so mileage should improve. Winter gas is usually mandated by by local laws, and is nothing more than MTBE enhanced gasoline that has a lower boiling point. This is necessary for the gas to properly vaporize within the combustion chamber. The problem is, that as you add the oxygenate to the gasoline, you get less gas per gallon. So, couple that with thicker oil, longer idle times to warm up, and we go through gas much faster. A 20% hit can be expected. So, here's hoping for a little better mileage. :)

so i took a look at my window sticker the other nite, and you know how there were certain people up in arms over the stated numbers? (18/24) I forgot that ON THE WINDOW STICKER, it states, in clear black bold print, right under the big mileage numbers: cars within this category, you should expect to average between 15mpg+ etc etc. just thought that after 21 pages of bad gas mileage, that this was pretty much a beat to death topic over something that is on the window sticker, telling you what to expect. (obviously, people getting something like 12+, thats a diff story)

cars in the category... not the CX-7 in particular.

look at the honda civic, it will say cars get 60 mpg in this category...

exactly. which also means, take the numbers with a grain of salt cuz they dont mean s***. and, at the same time, those people who do trust the window sticker and expect specific results should read the finer print. they are exactly what they say, an estimate, nothing more nothing less. there are so many intangibles when calculating gas mileage that it just makes no sense.

all i know is, i now have a new explorer as a loaner. this piece of s*** is getting 13.9 miles to the gallon. along with that, it drives like a school bus, and sucks at mostly everything. on the bright side, its pretty quiet other than the wind up toy car sound of whatever engine it has. im jealous of everyone driving their 7 right now.

I bought my AWD sport in January. Most of my driving is in town and with the cold weather and my use of my remote start, I was getting a modest 13-14 mpg.

The weather is now creeping into the 40s and I took my first road trip, 223 miles each way though winding mountain roads. Much to my delight, I averaged about 22 mpg. And I had FUN doing it, even in the rain on the way home. I drove much of the trip between 65-70 mph, occasionally faster. (Passing through towns was of course slower.)

This was using Chevron's 90 octane, which is as good as I can get up here. I am very impressed with the numbers and the performance I got this weekend. What a ride.

I can't wait for my next real road trip. (Mikey, I hope you get yours back soon.)

I think that 2008 models are now under new EPA standards and testing methods. So we'll probably see mileage drop across the board.

Back