Real Bad Gas Mileage!

9Hooker said:
lol @ one quick race. You get it's a 4000# brick right? And on premium gas..

The more I think about it, the more that Honda Pilot, Toyota Rav4, or even the Hyundai Santa Fe look like better options than this piece from an economic standpoint.

I still enjoy driving it just not the pain I feel at the pump for 19.1 mpg (my average over 6000 miles) premium. How in the hell do you guys get less than 16... Even SoCal stop and go/80mph stints the car has never gotten below 16mpg.

I don't get it when people say, "I get 19.1 (or whatever)....How in the hell do you guys get less than 16." Are you trying to insinuate there is something wrong with our vehicle? Well, there is nothing wrong with mine and I get 14.5-15mpg doing almost all short trip (under 6 miles) city driving. Dude, it is what it is. You said yourself, it is a 4000 pound brick. s***, I hate that I only get what I get as far as gas mileage goes, but I try not to b**** about it too much. And there you are bitching about pretty decent gas mileage (19.1), after you specifically noted that this thing weighs a lot.

I don't get it man. Maybe it's just me.

9Hooker said:
The more I think about it, the more that Honda Pilot, Toyota Rav4, or even the Hyundai Santa Fe look like better options than this piece from an economic standpoint.

i hope ur joking here

2 people in my office have pilots and they get 12-14mpg add to that, the driving experience most resembles a school bus in terms of excitement u just have to be kidding me.

said it a million times, there is nothing on the road for the money and direct comparison that drives handles and performs better than the cx-7. and with MPG in the 17-22 mpg range, WHAT R U PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT LOL. u want good mpg, go buy a V4 rav or a crv and coast in th right lane at 55 mph. Doing everything that the 7 does with the MPG that it makes is awesome. the tradeoff in MPG & driving excitement is not as big as some people on here make it sound.
i mean hell, the mazda 6 V6 loaner i had ate gas almost as quick as my 7 and beyond a nice little engine, my final thoughts about the car- it sucked.

the complaints about teh MPG really need to stop. if ur getting 12-13, complain all day, but if ur getting 17+ in this then just shut up already. the new epa is 17 city so urgetting exactly what is stated.

I agree and hope he was joking. Had I wanted the economic option, I would have gotten the CRV and perhaps been bored to tears.

I find it quite easy to get low mileage, what with my almost completely city driving, very cold weather and inability to purchase anything higher than 90 octane in state.

I bought the car because of the styling and it being such a kick to drive. The mileage was important to me only to the extent that it is reasonably respectable, so I wouldn't feel like a total boor.

9Hooker said:
lol @ one quick race. You get it's a 4000# brick right? And on premium gas..

I still enjoy driving it just not the pain I feel at the pump for 19.1 mpg (my average over 6000 miles) premium. How in the hell do you guys get less than 16... Even SoCal stop and go/80mph stints the car has never gotten below 16mpg.
I don't think the Honda Pilot will do much better in gas mileage and it drives like a boat. I was able to move the steering wheel from left to right several inches with no change in steering. Whe I pointed it out to the salesman he tried to tell me that it was designed that way to prevent any sudden bodyroll. I doubt it but I'll bet most people buy into that....LOL

mikey1981 said:
said it a million times, there is nothing on the road for the money and direct comparison that drives handles and performs better than the cx-7. and with MPG in the 17-22 mpg range, WHAT R U PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT LOL. u want good mpg, go buy a V4 rav or a crv and coast in th right lane at 55 mph. Doing everything that the 7 does with the MPG that it makes is awesome. the tradeoff in MPG & driving excitement is not as big as some people on here make it sound.
i mean hell, the mazda 6 V6 loaner i had ate gas almost as quick as my 7 and beyond a nice little engine, my final thoughts about the car- it sucked.

the complaints about teh MPG really need to stop. if ur getting 12-13, complain all day, but if ur getting 17+ in this then just shut up already. the new epa is 17 city so urgetting exactly what is stated.
More like a "Boston Whaler" than a schoolbus. LOL

UpNorth said:
I agree and hope he was joking. Had I wanted the economic option, I would have gotten the CRV and perhaps been bored to tears.

I find it quite easy to get low mileage, what with my almost completely city driving, very cold weather and inability to purchase anything higher than 90 octane in state.

I bought the car because of the styling and it being such a kick to drive. The mileage was important to me only to the extent that it is reasonably respectable, so I wouldn't feel like a total boor.

CRV "Civic Recreational Vehicle" I really tried to like it during the test drive but the mere thought of driving that thing for 4 years or more brings shivers to my spine.

I've learned that if you do a lot of driving it's real important to like what you drive. There is nothing like taking a 2 or 3 hour trip and feeling like you only been driving an hour or so. I get that experiance from my Jetta and from my CX7 because they were built for people who enjoy driving. You can tell how much fun it is to drive because my wife no longer minds taking the wheel and in fact sometimes she actually insists on driving. Sorry, but life's too short to drive something boring and the extra money I spend in gas just means a little less I'll leave behind when I meet the "Great Architech" some day. Me, I'd rather spend my kids inheritance.

In order to get 19mpg I to drive like the average Joe. In my mind if that's how I drive to get 19, in order to get sub 16 my brain (logically) thinks that the driver conveniently forgets it's a 4000# brick and treats it like a Honda Civic circa 1999-2000. Sure it's peppy in 1st and 2nd gear, I agree! Apparently I'm not content unless I'm bitching about something and in this case it's the mileage and that it uses premium. I would almost consider the Ford variant with the V6 and regular pump gas.

The pilot has MUCH more room standard 3rd row seating, is generally bigger and has more creature comforts (as I recall when test driving one) than the base CX-7 which is what I own. As a matter of fact aside from the smaller size I thought the Rav4 was probably the nicest to ride in.

For comparo, I drove:
Hyundai Santa Fe, Tuscon (AWD)
Subaru Forester (AWD)
Honda CRV, Pilot (AWD)
Mazda CX-7 (AWD)
Ford Escape (AWD) & Hybrid (ripoff BTW)
Toyota Rav4 (AWD)
Nissan Xterra

Why the 7? Who knows. It's a good thing it's a 2 year lease.

As for mileage figures... if I had seen 16/21 instead of 18/23 I can assuredly say I would be on a Honda or Toyota forum right now.

Different things are important to different people. The most important thing is to find what makes you happy. If the smile at the gas pump is what does it for you, then this may not be the right car. But I know I'm smiling in all six gears as I drive my CX-7 sport.

In my price range, this was the most fun and had the right mix of features and utility.

We all have to make that assessment for ourselves, based on what matters to us.

And if complaining makes you happy as you round out your lease, more power to you too. Venting is good for the soul too sometimes. We're lucky we don't often have real problems on this forum.

Well kind of my point. I don't suppose any of us (except the post ******) would come here just to post up:

Everything is going fine today, will check back tomorrow.

Well let me just say:

Everything is going fine today...

LOL

Anyway, while I'd like to be getting better gas mileage, I decided a few weeks back not to let it get to me. I LOVE the zoom zoom of this car, and that comes with a price.

It's also easier for me not to let it bug me when I don't have a long commute most of the time -- but of course, ask me again in the middle of July when I'm doing 80 miles a day taking my daughter back and forth to camp (thank GOD it will be all highway miles!)

News Flash

CXRabbit said:
Well let me just say:"

Everything is going fine today...

Oh Ya!!(boom06)

Price of 93 octane today is 2.92 per gallon.
Ten days ago it was 2.59
Is anyone making money on this? It ain't all going into taxes!!!

It's also easier for me not to let it bug me when I don't have a long commute most of the time -- but of course, ask me again in the middle of July when I'm doing 80 miles a day taking my daughter back and forth to camp (thank GOD it will be all highway miles!

Long Island Expressway AKA LIE is worlds longest parking lot. LOL
Both the Northern and Souther State Parkways are almost as bad .

Happy Motoring!!

UpNorth said:
(lol2)

Good man. Thanks for laugh.
Not only is my 7 getting good mileage but the CEL lght went out the other day about 2 or 3 days before I brought it in for service. That was the longest it had been out since it started coming on and offdue to code P2006. On Thursday they reset the computer and so far it has not come on. They are waiting for a part... supposedly a stronger spring??

9Hooker said:
In order to get 19mpg I to drive like the average Joe. In my mind if that's how I drive to get 19, in order to get sub 16 my brain (logically) thinks that the driver conveniently forgets it's a 4000# brick and treats it like a Honda Civic circa 1999-2000. Sure it's peppy in 1st and 2nd gear, I agree! Apparently I'm not content unless I'm bitching about something and in this case it's the mileage and that it uses premium. I would almost consider the Ford variant with the V6 and regular pump gas.

The pilot has MUCH more room standard 3rd row seating, is generally bigger and has more creature comforts (as I recall when test driving one) than the base CX-7 which is what I own. As a matter of fact aside from the smaller size I thought the Rav4 was probably the nicest to ride in.

For comparo, I drove:
Hyundai Santa Fe, Tuscon (AWD)
Subaru Forester (AWD)
Honda CRV, Pilot (AWD)
Mazda CX-7 (AWD)
Ford Escape (AWD) & Hybrid (ripoff BTW)
Toyota Rav4 (AWD)
Nissan Xterra

Why the 7? Who knows. It's a good thing it's a 2 year lease.

As for mileage figures... if I had seen 16/21 instead of 18/23 I can assuredly say I would be on a Honda or Toyota forum right now.

why r u comparing a Pilot to a cx7? ur comments are focused on how the pilot stackcs up against ur bsae cx7. and, why did u buy a 7? No kidding the Pilot is MUCH much bigger with more storage etc etc is a large suv w/a 3rd row. take the pilot comparo talk to the cx9 board. with alot less storage aside, your BASE mazda will smoke a v4 rav, crv, AND the pilot. you buy a 7 cuz u like to drive not cuz u want to carry a fam of 4+ a dog and the kitchen sink.

mikey1981 said:
you buy a 7 cuz u like to drive not cuz u want to carry a fam of 4+ a dog and the kitchen sink.

For you maybe. I have 2 dogs that I carry around to the park, a wife, and have moved across country 3 times in as many years. I took them all to Montana this year in the 7 along with the proverbial kitchen sink. This was my "we need something bigger than the VW Golf hatch and I just bought that damn Honda Civic for you honey" vehicle.

Oh, and I pay ~$250/month for the 7, so it trumped the nicer more gas friendly cars. It offsets the gas a bit.

9Hooker said:
For you maybe. I have 2 dogs that I carry around to the park, a wife, and have moved across country 3 times in as many years. I took them all to Montana this year in the 7 along with the proverbial kitchen sink. This was my "we need something bigger than the VW Golf hatch and I just bought that damn Honda Civic for you honey" vehicle.

Oh, and I pay ~$250/month for the 7, so it trumped the nicer more gas friendly cars. It offsets the gas a bit.

given your description, you should have bought a base Pilot on clearance or something.

9Hooker said:

I don't exactly follow you here... first off, if you look at 4,000+ pound vehicles with 200+ hp and AWD, they all get roughly the same mileage. Some are a little worse, some a little better but on the whole, you're pushing a 2-ton brick through air and it's gonna eat gas, no matter what engine you put in it (save for diesels).

Second, as has already been pointed out, the CX-7 is not in same class as most of the vehicles you mention. You cannot compare 5-passenger to 7-passenger in terms of cargo volume. As for gas consumption, the AWD Pilots are known to get 12-13 mpg city, FYI. It seems like you bought the wrong vehicle, given that you needed more cargo room... not bashing here, as everyone's needs and wants are different, I just don't see a point in the compariosns you make.

mikey1981 said:
given your description, you should have bought a base Pilot on clearance or something.

Ah yes, but the price the price...

And as for 5 pass/7pass... the Rav4 offers 3rd row seating as well as being standard on the Pilot. The Rav4 is smaller than the 7 to boot. It's not an option I would ever use for anything so the point is moo (a cow's opinion).

I think I made the right decision on the 7. Had I bought anything else, I would easily find something to complain about too. You don't see me posting about how crappy the interior is, or how X or Y. My only pet peeves are 1) Premium gas and 2) Mileage. Again, the price I pay offsets the extra tank or the $2 per fill up.

Back