Real Bad Gas Mileage!

CXRabbit said:
Trust me, I'd LOVE to be getting 24mpg, but it's never going to happen as long as I own this car and drive like I drive.

See, now THAT is an honest response!

I'm on my fourth tank on my CX-7 now, and all four have been 20-21 MPG. Admittedly, I rarely "get on it", but I have been pleasantly surprised with my mileage.

I have to wonder what the driving styles are like for those getting poor mileage. You KNOW the EPA isn't going to get on the throttle very hard when they're doing their estimates.

I was under the impression that the EPA doesn't even drive the cars and that it's a number coming strictly from a convoluted formula...

?

Madame X said:
See, now THAT is an honest response!

I'm on my fourth tank on my CX-7 now, and all four have been 20-21 MPG. Admittedly, I rarely "get on it", but I have been pleasantly surprised with my mileage.

I have to wonder what the driving styles are like for those getting poor mileage. You KNOW the EPA isn't going to get on the throttle very hard when they're doing their estimates.

How much highway driving are you doing? I do MOSTLY city driving and so far, I've been lucky to get 18mpg (my highest). I'm about to fill up again and I think I did worse this time (don't know for sure yet) AND that's with an all-highway round-trip of about 3 hours.

As for how the EPA tests:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

Like I said, LOL, "the EPA does indeed test all cars as if a grandmother were driving them".

Yeah me too... or even sooner, going 75-80... coming from Norway with curvy roads, highways here are straight, relatively boring and should be used to get from A to B in a reasonable time, not looking for a parking spot... ;)

I had my first fillup today. The cx-7 had a full tank when puchased and I put 15.6 gallons in today w/ 328 miles on the odometer=21MPG.

CXRabbit said:
How much highway driving are you doing? I do MOSTLY city driving and so far, I've been lucky to get 18mpg (my highest). I'm about to fill up again and I think I did worse this time (don't know for sure yet) AND that's with an all-highway round-trip of about 3 hours.

As for how the EPA tests:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

I estimate my driving to be about 70% rush hour/stop-and-go freeway driving, 20% city and 10% unobstructed freeway. I would say my average freeway speed when I'm not in traffic is 75-80 MPH (our speed limits are 55-65). I tend to not be heavy on the throttle when accelerating from a complete stop, but I'll get on it when passing (especially when people aren't driving the speed limit... ) (ughdance)

Just filled up again today and got 22.08 MPG.

Madame X said:
I estimate my driving to be about 70% rush hour/stop-and-go freeway driving, 20% city and 10% unobstructed freeway. I would say my average freeway speed when I'm not in traffic is 75-80 MPH (our speed limits are 55-65). I tend to not be heavy on the throttle when accelerating from a complete stop, but I'll get on it when passing (especially when people aren't driving the speed limit... ) (ughdance)

Just filled up again today and got 22.08 MPG.

How are you calculating your mileage?

Just my MPG findings

Yeah, the milage sucks compared to the EPA estimate (they are like weathermen). I have just learned to accept it at and average of about +16 MPG. I posted many fillup stats on the board here, they average 16!

I did notice the one day the it got cold here in New England the automatic LOW tire presure gauge light did go on. So I checked the tires and they where all set at 25 PSI! I change them all to 32 PSI and think it might have giving me a 1 MPG improvement on average. Got to love that automatic tire low tire gauge!

Many reports have always said synthetic oil will improve MPG. I need to do the math on oil cost vs gas savings and see if it is well worth it. Most likely yes, especially if you take it upon yourself to go longer on the oil change intervals (that brings up the warranty issue, but I am on only 2 year lease, ha!)

The best long trip "cruise control" MPG I have seen is 22 MPG (@ 2,000 odometer)

Reminder: To all those looking for a the iPod holder for their Mazda, you can purchase the FlexPED and then get a $15 Audio Link iPod adaptor discount here.

gas mileage

I got a CX 7 to and miss my 92 Turbo Toytoa Supra. I don't know whay the big difference in mileage but it was a 3.0 liter straight six, weighed in at 4000 lbs and got 26 miles to the gallon consistantly. So I agree with the other guy, why can't they make a CX7 that gets more mpg than it does. It might be power to weight ratio. The Toyota had a better ratio because of the higher displacement?

jimdogs said:
I've had my CX-7 for two and a half months now and i love the way it drives but, I consistently get real bad gas mileage around 12 - 13 miles per gallon. What's the deal? I drive approximately 50-50 city to highway not too heavy footed either. What would cause such low mileage? A/C has been on pretty much all the time, could that be it? I use mobil super 93 octane, could the 93 as opposed to 91 be it? any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

My second tank was 16.5 gallons with 307 miles=18.6 mpg. A little less than first fill-up but at a different gas station. This week I'm trying Valero.

My thoughts on why the CX7 returns poor gas mileage from an engineering view. The CX7 weighs ~ 3950 pounds and the engine is 2.3L. The mild EPA driving cycles with modest acceration between stops still requires that the turbo provide additional power to meet the driving profile. During day to day driving the problem increases as one has to maintain traffic flow which again requires use from the turbo. If the engine were sized bigger (~3.0L) then the turbos power would only be needed for spirited driving or for passing. I think Mazda engineers realized this problem and tried to overcome this deficiency by using direct injestion which allowed them to raise the compression from ~ 8.5 to ~ 9.5:1. The DI system helps but, not enough. Just my thoughts on the subject of poor fuel economy from the CX7. I still want to trade my Forester for a CX7 but, fuel consumption is a concern considering I drive about 20,000 miles per year.

ZooM-Skip said:
My second tank was 16.5 gallons with 307 miles=18.6 mpg. A little less than first fill-up but at a different gas station. This week I'm trying Valero.

DO NOT GET VALERO - see my post in the lounge

erhayes said:
My thoughts on why the CX7 returns poor gas mileage from an engineering view. The CX7 weighs ~ 3950 pounds and the engine is 2.3L. The mild EPA driving cycles with modest acceration between stops still requires that the turbo provide additional power to meet the driving profile. During day to day driving the problem increases as one has to maintain traffic flow which again requires use from the turbo. If the engine were sized bigger (~3.0L) then the turbos power would only be needed for spirited driving or for passing. I think Mazda engineers realized this problem and tried to overcome this deficiency by using direct injestion which allowed them to raise the compression from ~ 8.5 to ~ 9.5:1. The DI system helps but, not enough. Just my thoughts on the subject of poor fuel economy from the CX7. I still want to trade my Forester for a CX7 but, fuel consumption is a concern considering I drive about 20,000 miles per year.
erhayes,

I could not agree more with you! The near 2 tons (3,950lbs) is definately the issue (and AWD), to put that into perspective I traded out of a 4,300lbs Dodge Dakota with a V8. The Dakota's MPG was an honest 13. I DON'T have a complaint with the CX-7 (such a nice ride for my life style) I do have a compliant that the EPA can get away with such false info (well not any more says the news media. I guess they have until 2011 or something to get it right now, Ha! such a joke)

I did get 21-22 MPG with the CX-7 on a LONG trip during break in at 65-70 MPH. So atleast honest highway mileage might improve with age (and slowing down some) and make it to 24MPG.

Did I mention anything about iPod holder for Mazda's

i don't think it has anything to do w/ the turbo...the simple fact is that the CX-7weighs 4000 lbs, and while it's sleek-looking, it's still tall and wide, and thus punches a sizeable hole in the atmosphere.

the gas mileage isn't great, but in the end it's comparable to similar vehicles.

if you're really only getting 12-13 mpgon a consistent basis, there is probably something else wrong.

and, city driving, even if it may be 30% crushes the MPG on this car. which, i really dont care, but if you are going to and from work, it just will not return a high mpg, even with a light foot, its just too heavy for the start stops of the road . Bright side is, the pickup will smoke a majority of cars on the street and the grin you have, going from start stop, i think is worth it haha

Back