Ready for a 2nd-Gen Seven-Seater Mazda CX-5?

Having a third seat in a compact SUV is useless. You may be able to carry two extra kids, but nothing else. If you really need to carry more people (kids or adults) and have room for storage the new CX 9 seams like the perfect vehicle for those that despise driving a boring minivan.

Having a third seat in a compact SUV is useless. You may be able to carry two extra kids, but nothing else. If you really need to carry more people (kids or adults) and have room for storage the new CX 9 seams like the perfect vehicle for those that despise driving a boring minivan.

Often the extra kid or kids is just a ride home from band practice ETC. I can see it being useful for some. I don't need or want it in a CX-5.

Often the extra kid or kids is just a ride home from band practice ETC. I can see it being useful for some. I don't need or want it in a CX-5.

"Just get down in the back, don't let the cops see you."

Wonder of wonders, I somehow survived childhood. 'Murica. Softer. Weaker. More worried. Safer?

Wonder of wonders, I somehow survived childhood. 'Murica. Softer. Weaker. More worried. Safer?

Basically my childhood:

55361844-1298868979-xe-5.jpg

Wouldn't a 3rd row make the CR-V competing with the Pilot? Mazda can easily and cheaply re-use and copy the template/structure for all the cars it's making (Mazda6, CX-3, CX-4, CX-5, CX-9), so I don't see Mazda adding a 3rd-row to the CX-5, it can just make a new model instead.

I did this so many times as a kid with friends and other family members and had so much fun messing around in our little space. Yeah we bounced around a bit on bumpy rounds and hard braking, but I had a blast.

Basically my childhood:

Wouldn't a 3rd row make the CR-V competing with the Pilot? Mazda can easily and cheaply re-use and copy the template/structure for all the cars it's making (Mazda6, CX-3, CX-4, CX-5, CX-9), so I don't see Mazda adding a 3rd-row to the CX-5, it can just make a new model instead.
Car manufactures are trying to put more seats into their "compact" CUVs, especially for more populated countries. See this new Honda "BR-V" compact CUV which has been released in Thailand, Indonesia, and India since beginning of this year also offers 7-seater version. It's safer to have factory installed 3rd row seating with safety belts. It'd be much better than seating on the stools in the trunk area, which was what happened when we're in Peking traveling, or hide in the back like many of us had experienced.

Honda apparently think adding the 3rd row seating will boost CR-V sales not only in worldwide but also in US market. Consumers always want more features installed in their vehicles, the more, the better. I wouldn't mind to have a 3rd row seating on a compact CUV, as long as they can fold and hide. And I wouldn't mind to have a 7-seater Honda CR-V, as long as it comes with 9-speed automatic like in Europe instead of the CVT.

7-seater Honda CR-V won't be competing with their own Honda Pilot. They have different size, fuel economy, and price structure. The same on CX-5 and CX-9 from Mazda.
BR02.jpg

BR05.jpg

BR03.jpg

12e03c4dfa475d799a05513743b490c1_L.jpg

BR04.jpg

I would hate to see the CX-5 get such a cramped cabin. Leave it as is. Those that need so many seats should get the CX-9. Or a Minivan. Or birth control.

I would hate to see the CX-5 get such a cramped cabin. Leave it as is. Those that need so many seats should get the CX-9. Or a Minivan. Or birth control.

Cramped cabin? Have you ever seen Mazda5 with its disappearing third row? And stop this CX-9/Minivan crap - by the same logic, if you are traveling alone most of the time, why did you buy a 3500 pound car? Get a scooter! Or birth control...

Back to the topic: An inexpensive compact AWD 5+2 seater with reasonable fuel economy and handling/steering? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Back to the topic: An inexpensive compact AWD 5+2 seater with reasonable fuel economy and handling/steering? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Given how much effort Mazda tried to shave weight with the whole SkyActive thing, adding 2 seats probably won't work with "reasonable fuel economy" :)

Car manufactures are trying to put more seats into their "compact" CUVs, especially for more populated countries. See this new Honda "BR-V" compact CUV which has been released in Thailand, Indonesia, and India since beginning of this year also offers 7-seater version. It's safer to have factory installed 3rd row seating with safety belts. It'd be much better than seating on the stools in the trunk area, which was what happened when we're in Peking traveling, or hide in the back like many of us had experienced.

Honda apparently think adding the 3rd row seating will boost CR-V sales not only in worldwide but also in US market. Consumers always want more features installed in their vehicles, the more, the better. I wouldn't mind to have a 3rd row seating on a compact CUV, as long as they can fold and hide. And I wouldn't mind to have a 7-seater Honda CR-V, as long as it comes with 9-speed automatic like in Europe instead of the CVT.

7-seater Honda CR-V won't be competing with their own Honda Pilot. They have different size, fuel economy, and price structure. The same on CX-5 and CX-9 from Mazda.
BR02.jpg

BR05.jpg

BR03.jpg

12e03c4dfa475d799a05513743b490c1_L.jpg

BR04.jpg

All they have to do is add in a vacuum (Odyssey), tent, grill, baby change table, and maybe a compost bin.

Basically my childhood:

No more than the CX3 competes with the CX5 competes with the CX9

I'm more interested to see if the CX4 comes to the US, I really like the look of it

Given how much effort Mazda tried to shave weight with the whole SkyActive thing, adding 2 seats probably won't work with "reasonable fuel economy" :)

I am not so sure. I do not think additional hardware (at least if it is similar to that of Mazda5) would weigh too much, certainly no more than 100 lbs. How much does SkyActive's fuel economy suffer when you put a child in a passenger seat? Is there a significant fuel penalty to be paid on the way back from a supermarket after you loaded the car with week's worth supply of groceries for a family? After all, despite what some of you think, it is a family car, isn't it?

2 more seats in a CX-5? Big winner in Asia and with Asian families, who (and I know this because I'm married into one) like to haul everyone along everywhere.

If the extra seating hurt the cargo capacity, I might not even buy the CX-5. But it's likely Mazda has many more sales, potentially, in China than in North America and Europe combined, especially if they can get "LV" tattooed on the seats. ;-)

Cramped cabin? Have you ever seen Mazda5 with its disappearing third row? And stop this CX-9/Minivan crap - by the same logic, if you are traveling alone most of the time, why did you buy a 3500 pound car? Get a scooter! Or birth control...

Ha, finally see someone has the same opinion like mine! How is the cabin becoming "cramp" unless you're seating on the 3rd row? If you don't need the 3rd-row, simply fold and hide and your CX-5 would look like a 5-seater CX-5. This is just some optional feature you can have and you can use it whenever the need arises.

Again, 44.17% sales increase on a less powerful, CVT equipped, crappy handling, average quality/reliability, and average looking Nissan Rogue must have a reason! Honda apparently thinks the 3rd row seating played a big role on that.

Latest posts

Back