re-wire fogs ?

BHOUST528

:
MAZDA3 5DR
im new here but i hate that on my 3 5dr the fogs dont come on with the parking lights....Does any body know how to change this or what to rewire to make this mod happin...if so please post or you can email it to me....i like the fogs on with my parking lights for some reason....Thanks for the help...Brian

I have my fogs wired seperate with a switch on my dash, can have them on anytime you want. Just need to run seperate wires with a switch and dont use the stock wires. I had no stock wires or stock fogs anyways so I had no choice but to run seperate wires though. Im sure theres some other way but its probably easier just to run your own wires.

Yeah I am sure it would be easier, but there has to be a way using the factory wiring. You know what I mean?

There is a way to do it by removing a relay from the engine fuse box and plugging it's contacts into different spots (via wires). The fogs will be on any time the fog switch is on, and they turn off about 10 seconds after you kill the ignition.

benzo said:
That could be interesting. You know how to do that.

I know of where to find the walkthrough, but not specifically how to do it. The walkthroughs I know of are both on another mazda community, to which I'm not allowed to link.... or even say it's name.

I may get around to linking the stuff here.

Copied from m3gt.

As promised, this is the second guide that I promised you this week. Lots of people want to have control over their fogs...there has been some people that did this but used a switch that they've put near the driver's steering column. Not a bad idea but I like simple stuff and there's a simpler way to do this mod and just use your existing switch.

Ready? Here we go:

Products needed:
- 6-8" of 18 AWG wire
- Different size male and female wire connectors
- Wire cutter
- Wire stripper
- plier or crimper
- some kind of old coat hanger that you can straighten out (this will serve you to pass some wires from the cabin to the engine bay)
- Electrical tape

1-Open the fuse box in the engine bay. You should have the following fuse space empty:
fog01.jpg

2- This is the fog relay....remove it.
fog02.jpg

3- Here's where the real work begin. You will take that relay an use some of the wire you bought. use the right size female connectors.
It should look something like this:
fog03.jpg

4- Put that aside for now. We will use it later.

You need to open your steering wheel column and the dash panel under the steering. Once that is done you will see LOTS of wires. Take the small red/black wire and strip it (remove some of the plastic insulation) a little.
fog04.jpg

5- Take the long wire you bought, strip one end and connect it to the exposed part of the red/black wire. make sure the connection is good and tape it with electrical tape.
fog05.jpg

6- Run your wire down to a hole that is in the upper left corner of your pedals' space. Use that straighten coat hanger and pass you wire through that hole. You will end up in the engine compartment near the battery.
fog06.jpg

7- Now we take back the fog relay and put male connectors at the end of the wires like you see on the picture. Use also the little wire (black in the pic) and connect it to the wire you passed into the engine bay:
fog07.jpg

8- It should look like this (the connector going in the fuse space goes into only one of the holes...the one towards the front of the car :
fog08.jpg

9- To be able to enter a male connector in the little empty fuse slot, you will need to cut a it a little:
fog09.jpg

10- ***Optional*** You can also add a 15A inline fuse for added security.
fog10.jpg

11- Replace the fuse cover
fog11.jpg

12- You're done! Enjoy!
fog12.jpg

Note: When you turn off your car the fogs will stay lit up for 5-15 seconds and then shut down. This is perfectly normal.

For the fogs to light up your key needs to be at least in the ignition position.

Last edited:
This gonna be so helpful thank you so much....but the fogs staying on for
5-15 secs whats up with that ? I mean you said its normal but its ok? ill take your advice thanks bro ! Brian

any reason why you did NOT look in the how-to section which has all this info already posted?

besides, there's 2 ways to do it... one of which is the ghetto way which is what was posted above

I have heard of one guy having trouble with his fogs on his ms3 when he tried this mod. He had already done it on a mz3 without trouble. He says his fogs will turn on by themselves when the car is not on.

I have done this mod. It was the first thing I did. All I have to say it that it is problem FREE, as long as you do the connections right.

ok i just rewired the fogs and they havent turned off as soon as i rewired the relay they turned on, and when i relookd at the steps i noticed on pic 7 and 8 the yellow wires are mixed up then put another way...

Back