Rdrcr's Mazda2 Review and Build Thread.

:
2014 Mazda 2 Sport 5-Speed Manual
Thanks for the compliments on the color. It was my favorite and I was lucky to find one.

Agreed on the 5% tint but, I live in CA and our laws don't allow for front window tint so I had to compromise in hope of not getting cited. : (

Mike

Damn California sucks dude--strict emissions, strict tint laws, laws against car mods,-- **** that! Im sincerely glad i dont live there, we dont have to worry about any of that s*** in ky/oh.

:
2014 Mazda2
^^^^
No argument here. I'm definitely not happy about the laws here; our ridiculous automotive laws are just the beginning...

Mike

:
Mandatory cats and low cap mags… but damn good driving roads.

Hey how much louder did the CS SRI and duct make your sound? And did you feel any noticeable power gains or just more noise?

Im wanting to buy a sri but theyre a little pricey..

:
2012 Mazda 2 GS M/T
It makes a pretty big difference in sound, the engine sounds a lot more aggressive and throaty when you lay into the throttle. You also get "whoosh" sounds when you blip the rpms up. As for power, I do think it improved things a little bit, but it's not a drastic change. Every little mod helps, though, since a couple horsepower here and there add up quick.

Here's a video I made a while back with the newly installed SRI.

:
2012 Mazda2 Touring MT
I can't speak from experience, but it seems like a few people have had some pretty good results from the CS SRI, a modded exhaust, and a tune from Dynotronics. I guess the tune helps unlock even more hp from the mods.

:
Yea that definitely makes a difference.. i thought you were going to crash into a pole. Do you have the air duct as well?

:
2012 Mazda 2 GS M/T
Yeah, I have the duct too and I installed it at the same time as the SRI. I wish I had some numbers to compare with and without it, but based on my datalogs it seems to do a pretty good job of cooling down a heat soaked engine bay once you start getting moving.

:
2014 Mazda2
Mandatory cats and low cap mags but damn good driving roads.

Yep, I too love the roads.

Hey how much louder did the CS SRI and duct make your sound? And did you feel any noticeable power gains or just more noise?

Im wanting to buy a sri but theyre a little pricey..

I'll stopping by and buying mine next month in person when I visit Washington State.

I wish I had some numbers to compare with and without it, but based on my datalogs it seems to do a pretty good job of cooling down a heat soaked engine bay once you start getting moving.

If you guys can keep my feet to the fire, I'll do some back-to-back dyno runs of stock vs. CS SRI. I always enjoy testing my power upgrades.

Mike

:
2014 Mazda2
CX-7 Antenna Mast.

The factory Mazda2 radio antenna is ugly, long, wiry, and clearly out of place. Well, thats what I thought after I read through some Mazda2 build threads where owners had swapped-out the cheap crappy hideous looking OEM antenna rod for a short, sleek, and stubby antenna mast. Once I became thoroughly educated on the subject, I realized the replacement of the stock rod was absolutely necessary and a truly brilliant modification.

I feasted my eyes upon several antenna options available from multiple vendors with wide-ranging prices but, the antenna mast that caught my attention was the factory 2007-2012 Mazda CX-7 antenna mast (Part #EG23-66-A30). I figured $30 for an honest fitting factory part was the way to go.

Yeah, it might not be as cool as some of the other options available, but, it looks fine to me and represents a solid improvement in appearance over the stock antenna rod. Too bad Mazda just didnt install the CX-7 antenna mast on the 2 from the factory. It would have saved me the time to write this review. LOL!

Mike

:
2012 Mazda2 Touring MT
I've got an even shorter antenna and I don't have too much issue with getting reception. I live somewhat close to the city where the broadcast towers are, though, and there probably is somewhat of a reduction in reception that will be more evident the further you are from the towers.

Incidentally, I did get the CX-7 antenna at one point, but I ended up going with something else (for looks). If anyone is interested in a lightly used one I could sell it for something like $20 shipped.

:
2014 Mazda2
Voodoo Shift Knob.

The shift knob is important. The knob itself is what connects the driver to the shift lever, linkage, and ultimately, the transmission. The knob itself, must feel right. Familiar. It needs to function, inspire confidence, and be comfortable. There is no argument here; the shift knob is important!

For me, nothing beats a perfectly round shift knob. A simple round ball with a threaded hole, so I can screw it onto the gear shift lever. I dont need anything fancy. I dont need any printed, or engraved logos. No special script. No magical designs. Not even an engraved shift pattern (I know where the gears arecome on!). Just a knob. A simple, comfortable, perfectly round knob.

I went with the Voodoo shift knob. It fulfills my requirements. I purchased mine in the gloss black finish to match the 2's glossy center dash trim. It looks good. But, most important it feels good and it is extremely familiar, and comfortable to use.

For under $50, you cant beat the Voodoo shift knob. It is a no-brainer. I highly recommend it!

Mike