Rattling / chattering noise in neutral? Clutch / throw-out bearing...?

i'm not sure about the noise, but the good news...you have 34,600 miles to see if the part is defective.

I have heard it on ours as well, my guess is that it's the clutch release collar. Not sure if that is normal, but it's certainly not got a giant throwout bearing like most transmissions would have. Just inform your dealership of the sound, make sure they record it and go from there. It only happens in certain inclinations on ours - like with the noise pointing up while the clutch is engaged at idle. Probably just the clutch release collar harmonically vibrating on the input shaft.

Jason

I haven't noticed it on mine yet, but your description reminds me of flywheel chatter that some of my cars with LTW flywheels have had.

Normal

Just noticed this for the first time on my 2010 MazdaSpeed3... have about 1400 miles on the odo....

At idle, in neutral, with foot off the clutch pedal, there is a pretty noticable "rattling" kind of sound, like something is "loose"... if I press the clutch pedal down, it goes away. Typically this type of symptom points towards a noisy throw-out bearing.

I will mention that I never "ride" or rest my foot on the clutch pedal, I have never done anything that might cause accelerated wear on the throw-out bearing or clutch, etc. I have driven the car since day one with an extreme level of care, and have been incredibly gentle on the clutch / tranny in general.

Any of you guys noting a similar noise at idle in neutral?

Weird... never heard it before, then just today, I was like, "what the hell is that noise?" I never play the radio, I'm always listening the car at all times, so... this is truly a "brand new" noise at 1400 miles.

I guess there's nothing I can do about it right now, the clutch etc works 100% fine, I'm sure if I brought the car to the dealer now and let them hear the noise, they'd just tell me it's "normal" and send me on my way. The noise itself does not bother me, but I'd just hate to think that the throw-out bearing or whatever may be defective or whatever. I guess I'll just keep on using the car and see how it goes. I have more time / miles left on the warranty, so I can afford to wait.

But... I wonder if you guys feel that this may be a "normal" noise for this car? Any TSBs? Any info at all? Does anyone else note such a noise?

Thanks.

Loving the car otherwise. Today I just about hit redline for the first time, in 2nd and 3rd gears, definitely a little bit of power there for a tiny 2.3 liter... this car can actually get out of it's own way... nice. It's surely an impressive little car for the dough. I very much enjoy driving it. It's the perfect daily-driver "beater" car for zipping through traffic and generally disrespecting all the other inconsiderate chumps on the road.

(drive)

This is the same on the 07-09's. I believe it's the throw-out bearing. Not sure why it is but mine has done it since new and have had no issues. You only hear it when the car is idling and clutch is enagaged in neutral.

From a development cost point of view I wouldn't be surprised if it was triaged by Mazda as a corner case issue (something that only happens at specific times that is not a long-term normal use case) that didn't affect relaibility. It's a trade-off/compromise that is often part of developing products.

FWIW I had the same issue on my 07 350z from day one. The chatter/rattle at idle and from 1st bugged me but apparently it's a common thing in modern clutch/tranny combos.

Back