Radar Cruise Control

:
East Iowa
:
2019 CX-5 GTR
I don't often use the radar cruise control, but when I have, it's worked perfectly, even bringing the car to a complete stop. But today I had the strangest thing. It was on, approaching a stop light. Car started slowing down along with the car in front. When it hit 20mph, the cruise control disengaged and flashed the warning that it was off below 20mph. Did it do this because it was cold? Sensors were all working because it maintained distance properly right until it turned itself off. Good thing I had my foot on the brake or would have rear ended someone.

I think it uses the camera under 20 mph. Was your camera blocked by snow or ice on the outside of the windshield, or condensation on the inside?

I have an '18 and it never did that. Was one of the sensors or camera blocked? Was the weather poor? Only time I have had sensors give a warning was in poor weather conditions or at a toll when a really bright light was shinning on my CX5

Weather was clear. It was cold, but windshield was clear and clean. Really don't get it.

I occasionally use the Adaptive Cruise Control on the freeway and it works well when traffic is moving along at 70 MPH and sometimes slows to 55-60 and then speeds up again. But in conditions where traffic can come to a complete halt or slow to 10-15 MPH for several miles and then inexplicably resume to 70 MPH again as is often the case on SouCal freeways, I turn the system off.

Our CX 5's do not have a self driving feature and in my opinion, those who want to rely on the adaptive cruise control, lane assist and smart city braking are irresponsible.

Take command of your vehicle and pay attention to what you are doing. You may feel like you have all the comforts of your living room but in reality you are behind the wheel of a 3800 lb torpedo with a gasoline explosive charge. Don't be lulled by gadgets. Even the most developed systems that Telsa uses are far from perfect and Mazda's technology is years and millions of dollars of development behind.

I don't often use the radar cruise control, but when I have, it's worked perfectly, even bringing the car to a complete stop. But today I had the strangest thing. It was on, approaching a stop light. Car started slowing down along with the car in front. When it hit 20mph, the cruise control disengaged and flashed the warning that it was off below 20mph. Did it do this because it was cold? Sensors were all working because it maintained distance properly right until it turned itself off. Good thing I had my foot on the brake or would have rear ended someone.
I don’t believe cc system will normally stop the car from highway speed. It disengages below 19 mph and you will need to manually brake to come to a complete stop. The emergency braking will kick in, if activated, but I believe that’s more of an abrupt emergency stop. I could be wrong but this is the way I understand it works.

I don’t believe cc system will normally stop the car from highway speed.
Gen 2 CX-5s (at least some models) come with Radar Cruise with "Stop and Go". My 2019 Touring has this and it works.

See following from: https://www.holidaymazda.com/blog/mazda-models-with-available-radar-cruise-control/

What is stop and go?

The stop and go function is a further refinement of the Mazda radar cruise control system. If a car in front of you stops, so will your car. This was the case before, but with stop and go, after that car accelerates away you can give the accelerator a simple tap of the pedal, and your Mazda will accelerate and resume radar cruise control operation. This makes Mazda radar cruise control with stop and go perfect for handling traffic jams and other such driving conditions.

i asked a question about why a feature my car has didn't behave as it normally does. I also clearly stated that I didn't use it often, and that I was ready with the brake when needed. I didn't post the message for someone to get on a soapbox and rant about technology.

i asked a question about why a feature my car has didn't behave as it normally does. I also clearly stated that I didn't use it often, and that I was ready with the brake when needed. I didn't post the message for someone to get on a soapbox and rant about technology.

I've seen this happen in cold temperatures or foggy conditions. Its rare but on my wifes 2018 and on a test drive of a different gen2 CX5.
The system displayed a message about lower speed RCC being disabled but at highway speeds it was still fully functional.

Yes the system will disable itself if weather conditions are questionable. I actually consider that a good thing....the computer alerts the driver it's sensors may be susceptible to error thus putting the car into manual mode.
Better to have it on the cautious side.

Condensation. I had the exact same thing. There was a temperature drop during the day. Is there a way to switch to traditional cruise control when the front radar emblem Ice's up while driving in the highway like on a Honda?

Attachments

• 20200214_204308.jpg
    20200214_204308.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 211
Condensation. I had the exact same thing. There was a temperature drop during the day. Is there a way to switch to traditional cruise control when the front radar emblem Ice's up while driving in the highway like on a Honda?
Any time my system has not worked due to condensation blocking the camera (actually happened twice because of condensation and again this morning for a very long time due to frost), you get the "System Disabled" message in the middle of the speedometer until the condition clears.

Weather was clear. It was cold, but windshield was clear and clean. Really don't get it.

RACC uses the camera below 20mph as does the SBS. The automation wasn't happy, gave up, and informed you. They're off the hook. Lesson here is: Don't be distracted whilst utilizing the niftiness, and worse, trusting it.... lest you be the cause of a rear-ender. Or can ya blame it on the car and you're off the hook? I'm confused about that one. Anyway, more low-grade, poorly implemented, unreliable automotive tech. Get used to it, as it is proliferating wildly. Mine does the same thing for no reason...windshield clear and clean. Condensation likely within the housing and/or directly on/within the camera. There're ways to eliminate that, but alas, costs more money. We've installed pressurized cooling purge systems in laser and camera housings for storage retrieval systems in plants where climate is not controlled (like the inside of your car, which is out in the elements). BTW, your auto high-beams will react the same way...no warnings though, they simply won't turn on automatically. And then later on, they will. Cameras :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So far my CC has been flawless bringing the car to a complete stop. Both the CRV and CX5 won't start moving unless I hit resume. My CRV CC and other safety features have stopped working several times in inclement weather, so far the Mazda has behaved flawlessly but the car only has 3500 miles on it, the CRV has 40k. Guess time will tell. Comparing the safety systems in both vehicles, it seems the Honda does blind spot monitoring and lane keep assist better, the active cruise are very similar, auto headlights honda (for some reason the Mazda will turn on the brights in the rain even with oncoming traffic), lane departure is a tie, back up camera Honda, rear warning Mazda. It is interesting to observe how the two manufacturers implemented the same features differently.

I don't often use the radar cruise control, but ...
Don't be so sensitive to the technology rants. You posted in such a way that it implied you were relying on radar cruise control and the stop and go feature to brake for you - to a complete stop. You're nuts. ;)
Kidding - but only a bit. Seriously, it sounds like the car in front did not come to a complete stop, but slowed gradually to under 20 mph. And, cruise is not meant to work under 20 mph. I think the system did exactly as it was designed. Faced with maintaining distance on still moving traffic under 20 mph it bowed out and let you know. I think it is a matter of rate of speed change.
It's kind of funny because I love the radar cruise feature, but never experienced the system completely stopping the car. Not that I'm superior or something - because I applied brakes on my own. BTW I've seen the STOP NOW message a couple of times in heavy traffic when I didn't even consider I was all that close to the car in front.
Said it before, but I'm a little sad as some of these features move closer to autonomous driving.
... back to the discussion of radar cruise and related features, how they work, how we wish they worked and how they compare to other cars we've driven.

Don't be so sensitive to the technology rants.

Actually, anyone blindly relying (first problem) of this stuff should all be sensitive to the rants, because (second problem)...

I think the system did exactly as it was designed.

And how, exactly, would you know what it's designed to do, or, not do? I'm certain I've asked this question elsewhere before. :rolleyes: Yet here you are giving someone automotive automation advice. Based upon what detailed knowledge? That, in and of itself, is the real problem here, and the reasoning behind the "rants" you refer to. Call it what it is...a valid warning from someone who does this crap for a living and doesn't know, for certain, how it was design to do anything. Here's an idea, let's ask the factory trained service people at the automotive dealers...I'm certain they'll know exactly what makes it all tick. You know, the guys who have to repair it when it doesn't work? :rolleyes: I prefer the term wake-up call, but a rant, ok, if you think so... and I think the market's going to go up 1500 points today.

Every control system I've ever encountered in the past 30 years has worked precisely as I as I thought it should, and/or, as someone else said it would. :cautious::rolleyes:

Back