Questions - Prospective buyer - Touring or GT?

As I always say every time this question gets asked: People often regret getting a Touring.
No one regrets getting the GT.
If I had a nickel for every post about "Can I add *insert GT feature here* on my Touring....
well... I'd probably have a dollar... let's not get crazy. :D
Get the GT.
Let's see:
Heated side mirrors, Adaptive front lighting system... I mean that alone is worth it IMO, LED Fogs, LED DRL, Led Combo tailights, Sirius radio and
BOSE BOSE BOSE...
GET THE GT.

So True. Spend a little more and get everything you want. You'll forget about the money in a short time, but you'll be reminded of your good or bad purchase decision every time you drive the car.

I don't see myself buying any more cars without Heads Up Display unless they drive themselves.

There are two huge assumptions in this statement
1. You know the full history of the used car. You know it was serviced well and does not have any significant outstanding issues.
2. It also assumes warranty = free. Best warranty is never to have to go to a dealer. If you have to multiple times, to ensure the work is done correctly or re-create the issue - you need to factor in your effort times $ worth to come to a total.

And considering that you can probably buy both cars for pretty much same $$$s the new will always be better. Infact the new for some buyers will be $700-1200 cheaper as there are tons ready to buy CPO thinking good value. Worse thing on new can be some faint scratches on paint. For CPO - it can be many things. CPOs are not that thoroughly vetted as well.

For example, a new CX5 in many hands can be a long term problem if owners have floored it foolishly while car had < 100 miles on it. Sure you have warranty but you are going back and forth with dealer - arguing that it is an issue / it is covered etc etc. Best is not to deal with this - get a new one under 40 miles and you should be good.

You're talking to someone with a former rental CX5 that now has nearly 100K miles on it and it's running great. You're also assuming you know the test-drive history of the car, and that you aren't getting a lemon. I've owned new cars. I've owned used cars. No difference in issues between the two.

CPO prices are indeed thru the roof. I just traded/lease-ended my '16.5 Touring AWD w/Nav for an '18 Sport AWD with the iActivesense pkg.

My old CX-5 had only 8900 miles on it, and the dealer CPO'ed it and marked it with a $22,000 price tag. Other CPOs on their lot have up to 33K miles on them and around that $22K tag.

Crazy.

You're talking to someone with a former rental CX5 that now has nearly 100K miles on it and it's running great. You're also assuming you know the test-drive history of the car, and that you aren't getting a lemon. I've owned new cars. I've owned used cars. No difference in issues between the two.
Of course everything was different in 16. Bose + sunroof was a package. Never had a car without a sunroof so I had to have that. But then I was debating GT vs T. I really wanted the Auto Climate Control. And the bendy headlights. Didn't care about anything else. The GT package was like another 2 grand+. Talking to the wife: am I really thinking about speeding 2 grand for auto CC? She's all: get the car you want and the features you want. You'll probably have this car a long time. Don't compromise, get exactly what you want.
Love her...and my GT.

Of course everything was different in 16. Bose + sunroof was a package. Never had a car without a sunroof so I had to have that. But then I was debating GT vs T. I really wanted the Auto Climate Control. And the bendy headlights. Didn't care about anything else. The GT package was like another 2 grand+. Talking to the wife: am I really thinking about speeding 2 grand for auto CC? She's all: get the car you want and the features you want. You'll probably have this car a long time. Don't compromise, get exactly what you want.
Love her...and my GT.

Right. You wanted certain features, and $2K is nothing in the long run vs. wishing you had said features every time you drove it. I'm just saying I'm done with new cars. I'll bide my time and if the RAV4 Hybrid or CX5T are any good, I'll pick up a CPO. Buying CPO, I would advise buying the dealership's vehicle. All the dealers around me offer this. Once they are done using them as courtesy cars after a few months, you get to buy it. You know it's been serviced correctly and dealers don't hot-rod their customers around typically, especially in CUV's.

Thanks ColDriver - I hadn't thought about the negotiating aspect of a GT. That might tip the scale in favor of the GT, depending on what I could get out of them...(bicker)

BT

Another line of thought, that some may disagree with...

Who buys a car with the resale/next owner in mind?

I dont save miles. My M4 had over 26K miles on it in ~18 months. I know guy that have had theirs longer and drive it on the weekends. For me, it doesnt matter, Im not buying a car to resell or keep in the garage.

Who buys a car with the resale/next owner in mind?

I dont save miles. My M4 had over 26K miles on it in ~18 months. I know guy that have had theirs longer and drive it on the weekends. For me, it doesnt matter, Im not buying a car to resell or keep in the garage.
Totally agree.

I'm currently in the same situation, new '18 Touring AWD w/PP vs CPO '18 GT AWD. Best quote I received for the touring is $27235 after rebates, before taxes and fees (not great). The CPO has 14k miles, is a former rental but is listed at $26,500. We are considering the CPO, but not sure.

*Who buys a car with the resale/next owner in mind?*

I don*t *save* miles. My M4 had over 26K miles on it in ~18 months. I know guy that have had theirs longer and drive it on the weekends. For me, it doesn*t matter, I*m not buying a car to resell or keep in the garage.

Totally don't agree- for me (like most) cars are a need but in my case they're also a habit- an expensive habit so the more I can limit the outlay of said habit the better/less guilt I feel about feeding it. Buying a 60k M2 along side a new or maybe CPO (Rav or CX-5- for dd'ing) is what I'd want but I also don't want to get financially porked when I do eventually resell it as I tend not to keep much past the 5 year mark..read: expensive, habit...now having said that something more special like an M2 vs another car in that price range may hold up better in that regard but resale is a big part of this picture financially- if money matters to you and you don't keep your cars idk a decade or more I don't grasp how resale couldn't/wouldn't be considered on a purchase- I just don't.

Last edited:
Totally don't agree- for me (like most) cars are a need but also a habit- an expensive habit so the more I can limit the outlay of said habit the better/less guilt I feel about feeding it. Buying a 60k M2 along side a new or maybe CPO (Rav or CX-5- for dd'ing) is what I'd want but I also don't want to get financially porked when I do eventually resell it as I tend not to keep much past the 5 year mark..read: expensive, habit.
Yeah from your angle I totally get it.

For me, I don't churn through new cars every few years, so resell pretty much doesn't matter to me at all.

I just dont drive with the thought of whos getting my sloppy seconds. Whether its a 75k car (which will have much greater depreciation) or a 32k Mazda

Maybe I misunderstood then- I'm not concerned with the next buyer per se- I am concerned with how much I'm going to get for this heap of s*** when the time comes..and bottom line- the more the merrier as it makes the next purchase a bit(but maybe significantly) less costly..that's all. Prime example- Alfa Giulia- sure I'd love to have one but the resale (not just the reliability) is a f'n nightmare which is also why they want like 5-6k down to get that monthly lease number competitive..to which I say no thx- not spending upwards of 20k(when all's said and done) to drive a 45k msrp sedan for 3yrs/30k miles- not even a chance!

Last edited:
OP: GT w/o premium or GTR to get the turbo would be my top CX-5 choices for the 19MY..I couldn't see going GT/premium and not going GTR unless you hate turbos or slightly worse fe. I do like that the 19 touring went back to 17s but don't think I'd go w/pkg without going to GT- if just for the leather- don't care for the touring's seat fabric.

Maybe I misunderstood then- I'm not concerned with the next buyer per se- I am concerned with how much I'm going to get for this heap of s*** when the time comes..and bottom line- the more the merrier as it makes the next purchase a bit(but maybe significantly) less costly..that's all. Another example- Alfa Giulia- sure I'd love to have one but the resale (not just the reliability) are a f'n nightmare which is also why they want like 5-6k down to get that monthly lease number competitive..to which I say no thx.

I agree. Also, I couldn*t careless about the next owner of my cars, but they*re a by-product of my-product, in that I take great care of my cars...

OP: GT w/o premium or GTR to get the turbo would be my top CX-5 choices for the 19MY..I couldn't see going GT/premium and not going GTR unless you hate turbos or slightly worse fe. I do like that the 19 touring went back to 17s but don't think I'd go w/pkg without going to GT- if just for the leather- don't care for the touring's seat fabric.

I agree...I*d actually want the Signature if I was a buyer, but it automatically gets scratched because of the Brown Leather only. What a bummer...

^Same..and for that reason I'd actually consider the sport now too I think- I'd miss seat heaters- and tilting the roof..not that much else really now that LEDs are part of the deal.

Maybe I misunderstood then- I'm not concerned with the next buyer per se- I am concerned with how much I'm going to get for this heap of s*** when the time comes..and bottom line- the more the merrier as it makes the next purchase a bit(but maybe significantly) less costly..that's all. Prime example- Alfa Giulia- sure I'd love to have one but the resale (not just the reliability) is a f'n nightmare which is also why they want like 5-6k down to get that monthly lease number competitive..to which I say no thx- not spending upwards of 20k(when all's said and done) to drive a 45k msrp sedan for 3yrs/30k miles- not even a chance!

Then get a Toyota/Lexus product. Subaru also actually retains value pretty decent among some of their products. Mazda, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Hyundai, etc. etc. they all pretty much plummet. Mercedes and BMW run like a lemming off a cliff.

Back