Question~? Has your P5 ever jerked on yah?

Mark81

:
Mazda 2003 Protege5
I dont know if it was a jerk or if the road was bad, probably a sudden jerk. I was going around 40 mph and all of a sudden my P5 which I named Jelly. :p kind of jerked on me, afterwards I started to smell kinda burnt rubber?

any ideas? I am going to Mazda dealership this friday since my check engine light has been on and scan code was P2009.

hopefully I can get my P5 into a nice running condition again. (hand)

I dont know if it was a jerk or if the road was bad, probably a sudden jerk. I was going around 40 mph and all of a sudden my P5 which I named Jelly. :p kind of jerked on me, afterwards I started to smell kinda burnt rubber?

any ideas? I am going to Mazda dealership this friday since my check engine light has been on and scan code was P2009.

hopefully I can get my P5 into a nice running condition again. (hand)

sounds like your accessory belt(s) might have broke

If the belt broke, there would be many more symptoms.

Many experience jerking and it's often the coil packs, spark plug wires, or spark plugs. Inspect the plug wires and coil packs for cracks or evidence of arcing. Check the plugs to see if they are worn and over gapped.

Thanks guys I took my P5 to the dealership today they told me I need to replace VT solenoid,? code is p2009 isnt that the shutter valve?

dealership is charging me $421 plus tax on this part, isnt it better if I just buy one online? I'm still a n00b when it comes to fixing cars :/ also do I need this part? I've read somewhere on the forums here that you can just take it out?

I don't think that will work...

It should look like this...

Try a junker maybe... Or keep trying online...

Last edited:
dealership is charging me $421 plus tax on this part, isnt it better if I just buy one online? I'm still a n00b when it comes to fixing cars :/ also do I need this part? I've read somewhere on the forums here that you can just take it out?

They are ripping you a new one, that is an outrageous price. Part is less than $100 for a new oem part online and labor to replace the valve is less than 5 mins.

If you go with a used part from a junkyard it would be even less.

Also, I don't know if this problem explains your burnt rubber smell...might be 2 different issues.

I would also suggest trying to find a reputable, quality, independent repair shop instead of going to the stealership...I mean dealership

I would also suggest trying to find a reputable, quality, independent repair shop instead of going to the stealership...I mean dealership

Yeah thanks for the input Keno1542~ only reason I went was because I got extended warranty, which doesn't even it cover it. but yeah I'm gonna keep looking online thanks again everyone!

onlinemazdaparts.com - I have used them in the past. They are a Mazda Dealer, so you are getting OEM parts at reasonable prices.

This looks like it... Rock Auto...

Should be about $35 American...

Last edited:
Remember it could be a problem with the wiring or connector... There is a test for the solenoid...

Ordered parts today hopefully I can get rid of this problem.. btw was so cold today I ran over a rock or something blew out my passenger side tire -_-;; (bang)

Back