Question about Turbo fuel

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
If the turbo running on 87 octane puts out about 220hp and the turbo running on 93 octane put out a little over 250hp how much does it produce running on 89 octane?

Sounds like a word problem.

⋯ as the engine is infinitely variably controlled between 227-250bhp output possibilities, to take advantage of the most you're giving it.
And you keep the engine revolution over 4,000 while driving ⋯ ;)

Upvote 0
It frequently sees this and then some why?
In officially published power ratings, Mazda says it's an "unnecessary spending on premium fuel" by 2.5T owners if they drive mostly under 4,000 rpm, because the power curves are exactly the same between using 87 and 93 octan from 0~4,000 rpm.

42578019-DB61-4F0E-B995-6C041BDE0602.png

Upvote 0
And you keep the engine revolution over 4,000 while driving ⋯ ;)

I couldn't say how often I get over 4000 or if it's an amount that's justified. But that's sort of true for a lot of things. Some things are just nice to have at the rare times you want it. Sunroof, 7 seater capacity and cruise control fall into that category for me. Km per yr they're used are not a lot, but I like.

End of day, it's less than $10 a tank to go high octane. For me that's well under $400 a yr for a car I paid $60K for and spend thousands a yr in insurance maintenance tires etc. (Canadian funds eh.)

I have a spare bedroom, extra umbrellas, extra sweater at work. I'm a big have it when I need it kind of guy.

How much do any of us even use the reg octane's 227 HP driving the cul de sacs or in rush hr traffic? I see Porsches every day sitting in traffic...they seem happy!:D

Upvote 0
With my driving habits I doubt the octane would be as big a factor as the gasahol content. I definitely prefer pure gas, which is usually 91 or 93 octane.

So I buy that whenever I can, but it's not common in my area.

Upvote 0
It's important to remember that we don't all drive on the exact same roads or have the same driving habits.

To reiterate, HP increase from 87 to 93 is linear. The increase in performance is only available upwards of 4000 RPM, as shown by the graph posted. Using this info, we can decide for ourselves which fuel we want to use.

Upvote 0
It's important to remember that we don't all drive on the exact same roads or have the same driving habits.

To reiterate, HP increase from 87 to 93 is linear. The increase in performance is only available upwards of 4000 RPM, as shown by the graph posted. Using this info, we can decide for ourselves which fuel we want to use.
It's worth it for me. Well worth it.

Upvote 0
If the turbo running on 87 octane puts out about 220hp and the turbo running on 93 octane put out a little over 250hp how much does it produce running on 89 octane?
A: 230 hp
B: The chicken wanted to see the other side of the road.
C: Trick question, turbos produce 0 HP. The engine produces hp
D: All of the Above

Upvote 0
Back