Question about fuel type for 2020 GTR

:
2018 CX-5
My wife and I are picking up our GTR tomorrow and I know that if using premium gas is supposed increase HP a bit and also torque. 1) is it worth it to even try premium? 2) does it also affect mileage?

Someone (yrwei52) can post the hp/torque curves when 87 and 93 octane is used. The difference only shows above 4500 rpm. Most drivers do not rev that high. So, if I were you, I would use 87. BTW, the 250hp rating is on 93. In some states, 93 is not available at any pumps. Like CA.... No one knows how much hp we get with 91... Somewhere between 227hp and 250hp.

Torque does not increase, only HP above 4k RPM.
cx-5 chart.png

You won't see any difference from the octane until you get over 4,000 rpm so unless you're robbing banks and need a fast getaway I'd stick to the regular 87 octane. Our GTR runs great on regular. More than enough power and torque. I'm in a position to compare 2.5l turbo and non-turbo since I have a 16 Touring also. Night and day difference.

Enjoy the GTR.

I run nothing but top tier 91 octane in my 2019 GT-R w/Turbo. I'd run 93 octane if it was available here in CA. I'm retired and don't drive very much so the extra cost isn't an issue, and our gas is about the highest in the nation. I paid $3.69.9 yesterday. I do like the extra power and the 250 HP available is really almost marginal in a vehicle of the CX 5's size and weight, especially with passengers and/or cargo. If I were doing an easy freeway commute everyday I'd probably run 87 octane. Just use top tier brands and add a bottle of Techron about 500 miles before each oil change.

According to Mazda, for the 2020 model, torque increases from 310 to 320 ft/lbs with the use of 93 octane fuel.

You're correct. I thought it was the same for either octane, like the 2019's.

Peak on 87 is at 2k RPM
Peak on 93 is at 2.5k RPM

Considering how much extra kick I can feel already with 87, not sure if I’d notice the difference on 93. Our 2018 felt pretty anemic on some long onramps. This thing, not so much!

You will always have more performance potential with higher octane fuel as combustion conditions deteriorate, doesn't matter what engine because it's simply science. I guarantee that 87 dyno is way off if you are driving in 100f weather with 3000 foot density altitude (at 500 foot elevation) like we get here in San Antonio. And the turbo to boot...I paid for 185hp (+ a tune), I want access to maximum power, all the time. Unless you live in a cold place/winter, the lowest grade fuel will always perform less than the highest when your engine demands performance

According to Mazda, for the 2020 model, torque increases from 310 to 320 ft/lbs with the use of 93 octane fuel.
Torque and horsepower cannot be separated from each other. If the torque has increased, so has the horsepower. What I find MORE likely, however, is that the torque has not increased relative to the 2019 model, but rather, they have simply done more disclosure of data, and it was always this way.

Considering how much extra kick I can feel already with 87, not sure if I’d notice the difference on 93. Our 2018 felt pretty anemic on some long onramps. This thing, not so much!
87 t o 93 isn't noticeable by seat of the pants, but if you go and race someone and are dead even with 87, you will edge them out with 93.

Torque and horsepower cannot be separated from each other. If the torque has increased, so has the horsepower. What I find MORE likely, however, is that the torque has not increased relative to the 2019 model, but rather, they have simply done more disclosure of data, and it was always this way.

True that they are relational (HP= T x RPM / 5252). A bump of 310-320 ft/lbs peak torque @ 2000ish rpm would also have a corresponding bump in HP to match at the affected RPM's but if torque drops off below 310 before peak HP rpm it would be possible to have an increase of peak torque without an increase in peak HP.

If that additional 10 ft/lbs carried through the rev's up into the rpm range of peak HP I would agree with you but it is possible to have an increase in peak torque WITHOUT an increase in peak HP.

I don't know if the extra torque carries through to higher rpm's or not. I'm just opining that it is possible to be as Mazda said.

True that they are relational (HP= T x RPM / 5252). A bump of 310-320 ft/lbs peak torque @ 2000ish rpm would also have a corresponding bump in HP to match at the affected RPM's but if torque drops off below 310 before peak HP rpm it would be possible to have an increase of peak torque without an increase in peak HP.

If that additional 10 ft/lbs carried through the rev's up into the rpm range of peak HP I would agree with you but it is possible to have an increase in peak torque WITHOUT an increase in peak HP.

I don't know if the extra torque carries through to higher rpm's or not. I'm just opining that it is possible to be as Mazda said.
While you are factually correct, I find it doubtful they would only have a shift and peak to 2500 and not before...and not after. I've never seen a tune give midrange torque with zero peak hp bump.

Torque does not increase, only HP above 4k RPM.

"Like with the 2020 CX-9, on premium (93 octane) fuel the turbo engine in the CX-5 delivers an impressive 250 horsepower and a robust 320 lb-ft of torque; an increase of 10 lb-ft of torque over the outgoing model year. When filled with regular (87 octane) fuel the 2020 CX-5 with the turbocharged Skyactiv-G 2.5T engine delivers a solid 227 horsepower and 310 lb ft of torque..."

My '20 Signature was initially filled with 87 by the dealer. I ran the tank empty then filled it with 93 and felt that it didn't run out of breath as quickly during wide-open throttle at high RPMs which corresponds with the information published by Mazda. After several tanks of 93, I started refilling with 87 again. I honestly can't say that I felt any significant difference. I'm sure the decrease of 10 lb-ft of torque and 23 horsepower can be measured with a dynamometer and I might lose a drag race to a CX-5 running 93, but this is a slightly sporty family CUV - not a race car. Even on 87, it has more power than necessary. I keep a spreadsheet and Fuelly records of fuel consumption and I noticed absolutely no difference between 87 and 93 octane. Unless you're engaged in a competitive race where money, a trophy, or bragging rights are at stake, just run 87. That extra 1/10th of a second it takes to reach 60 MPH is inconsequential on public roads - there will ALWAYS be someone with a faster vehicle no matter what grade of gasoline you use in your CX-5.

Last edited:
Back