question about foot step on rear bumper

brian2029

does anyone know if that step thing-e that goes over the buper on the top. is it removable and how, i wish to repaint them black again they are really fadded

i think its just stuck on with double sided tape
i would try using "Back to Black" or tire shine or something like that before u go to paint
they work really good

does anyone know if that step thing-e that goes over the buper on the top. is it removable and how, i wish to repaint them black again they are really fadded

i think its just stuck on with double sided tape
i would try using "Back to Black" or tire shine or something like that before u go to paint
they work really good

They are indeed stuck on with double-stick foam tape. To get them off you could go John Daly on 'em ("Grip it and Rip it! (TM)), but that might leave some tape behind if the tape is warm. Goo-Gone [SNIP]* should take any excess off, though I have no experience removing this tape myself.

*[UPDATE: As noted below (thanks, Bob), Goof-Off shouldn't be used as it can strip the paint. Whatever you use, make sure it's safe to use on automotive clear coat paint.]

All that said, I second justanothermp5's advice of leaving them on and treating them in place. In addition to the products mentioned, you could also try Turtle Wax's ICE wax or tire shine (yes, I use them.. no, I've NOT been compensated in any way for mentioning them); the clear liquid wax is designed to be used on every exterior surface but glass and the tire shine (just trying it out myself) holds up amazingly well (though it hasn't rained on it yet, so we'll see). Notably the ICE tire shine is the only one I've seen on the market that comes with a removable brush on the bottle for more precise application. It smells.. odd, however. While either of those would be expensive to acquire just for this purpose if you don't already use them, it might be worth it if you're looking to try a different car wax and/or tire shine anyway. (dunno)

Last edited:
Try a bottle of black shoe polish with the foam applicator tip. It wipes off easily if you get any on the painted part of the car, and makes the step plates look like new again. Vinyl protectants (ArmorAll, etc) seem to bleach the black color out of the plastic and turn them light grey, so I quit using them on the step plates. Worked like a charm on my PR5.

Has anyone actually ripped theirs off to see the ugly underneath? Would it be a useable bumper without? I'm wondering because I hate mine and just want a painted flat section of bumper!

I figure I can just go to the wrecker and rip one off there... I love that place... Destroy a whole car (if you want) just to get one part out!

Having applied mine myself, I can assure you that it's painted underneath. I can also assure you that it'll be pretty grungy under there, so you'll have to take care when cleaning the grunge off so that you don't put swirls and scratches into the paint.

Basically, peel it, wash it, THEN remove the tape residue, wash again, then assess the need for scratch/swirl remover, then wax.

To anyone thinking of removing these step pads (mine never had them thankGod) be careful what you use to clean the surface once the pads are removed.
Above, someone mentioned goof-off.
You would do well to understand that goof-off is nothing but lacquer thinner, and laquer thinner will strip paint quicker than you can say it.
If you doubt what I'M saying, take a trip to your local home improvement store, and open up a can of laquer thinner,and take a short wiff (real short, this stuff WILL get you high)
Then, open up, and pour, or spray a little goof-off on something, and take a wiff.
Exactly the same as the laquer thinner.
The only difference in the two is the price.
You could buy a quart of thinner for what you pay for the small can of goof-off.
Any way, you definetely do not want to use goof-off any where near your car's finish.
Bob.

To anyone thinking of removing these step pads (mine never had them thankGod) be careful what you use to clean the surface once the pads are removed.
Above, someone mentioned goof-off.
You would do well to understand that goof-off is nothing but lacquer thinner, and laquer thinner will strip paint quicker than you can say it.
If you doubt what I'M saying, take a trip to your local home improvement store, and open up a can of laquer thinner,and take a short wiff (real short, this stuff WILL get you high)
Then, open up, and pour, or spray a little goof-off on something, and take a wiff.
Exactly the same as the laquer thinner.
The only difference in the two is the price.
You could buy a quart of thinner for what you pay for the small can of goof-off.
Any way, you definetely do not want to use goof-off any where near your car's finish.
Bob.

Well noted, Bob. Thanks for the correction!

I'm sure you could put a heat gun to them to soften the adhesive then pull gently. As with anything just don't over do it...

Back