Question about disabling cylinder deactivation on a 2020 CX-5

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I wonder if you got the “better” engine, or the same engine with cylinder deactivation with a software tweak to make it so the CD does not kick in?
Mazda has to modify and add too many components in engine、transmission、and even the exhaust system to make the cylinder deactivation work properly. Due to the cost reason, Mazda won’t use more expensive CD engine with the feature totally disabled on the lowest trim model. Keep using an existing reliable and cheaper non-CD 2.5L engine makes business sense.

Last edited:
yrwei52 you are correct, the Canadian Kuro does in fact come with cylinder deactivation. It's kind of confusing the way the Canadian site lists cylinder deactivation for each model. Can't see it listed for both the CX or Kuro. It's definately listed for the GS. Under the Kuro it states "Skyactiv-G 2.5 L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine (187 hp & 186 lb. ft. torque)" and nothing about cylinder deactivation so it's a bit misleading.

2021 CX-5 GX​

passengers.png

milage.png

Up to 8.2 L/100 km hwy†
ALL-IN FROM $32,069*
Get Local Price

Skyactiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift mode and Drive Selection switch​

Front-Wheel Drive​

i-Activ AWD​

Key Features​

Skyactiv-G 2.5 L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine (187 hp & 186 lb. ft. torque)

17" alloy wheels (dark grey high-lustre metallic)
Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring System (ABSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
LED headlights

2021 CX-5 GS​

passengers.png

milage.png

Up to 7.9 L/100 km hwy†
ALL-IN FROM $35,169*
Get Local Price

Skyactiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift mode and Drive Selection switch

Front-Wheel Drive

i-Activ AWD

Key Features​

Includes the following features in addition to or in place of GX features:
Cylinder Deactivation
Power liftgate with programmable height
Leatherette-trimmed upholstery with Grand Lux Suede® inserts

2021 CX-5 KURO​

passengers.png

milage.png

Up to 7.9 L/100 km hwy†
ALL-IN FROM $38,469*
Get Local Price

Skyactiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift mode and Drive Selection switch​

i-Activ AWD​

Key Features​

Includes the following features in addition to or in place of GS AWD with Comfort Package:
19-inch alloy wheels (black metallic)
Kuro Edition unique grille treatment
Signature wing grille surround with darkened finish

Mazda sold many vehicles with the Skyactiv-G 2.5 L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine without cylinder deactivation. I don't think they would want to waste a single penny on parts that aren't necessary. I checked the parts at the Canadian dealership before buying mine and for 2019 Mazda sells a head and components for cylinder deactivation and one for without cylinder deactivation. The dealership thought I was carzy for not wanting cylinder deactivation because it saves fuel and was only available on the lowly GX model.

Today you can buy a USA CX-30 without cylinder deactivation.

What Engines Are Available in the 2021 Mazda CX-30?​

The base SKYACTIV®-G 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine delivers a class-leading standard horsepower rating of 186 horsepower and 186 lb-ft of torque. In most cases the standard engine delivers up to 25 city / 33 highway mpg for models with FWD, or 24 city/ 31 highway mpg with the i-ACTIV® AWD system. The exception to this formula is the Mazda CX-30 Premium AWD, which has a cylinder deactivation function and averages around 25 city / 32 highway mpg.