Pulstar Spark Plugs?

:
2013 CX-5 Sport Manual
Has anyone tried Pulstar spark plugs?

Apparently they have impressive performance but reviews on amazon suggest certain vehicles(Honda, Kia) will through misfire codes. One reviewer mentions shorter life span.

Curious about first generation 2.0 Skyactive G.

just stay with the recommended spark plugs and save urself trouble.
I agree. I don’t know what noticeable difference or performance gain one would achieve with non-OEM spark plugs.

just stay with the recommended spark plugs and save urself trouble.
I generally agree with you. But the theory behind these spark plugs makes sense and the combustion seen in the video matches the results. I am [over] due for new plugs (98k miles and still with originals) otherwise would never swap for pure upgrade.

I generally agree with you. But the theory behind these spark plugs makes sense and the combustion seen in the video matches the results. I am [over] due for new plugs (98k miles and still with originals) otherwise would never swap for pure upgrade.
yes, maybe in terms of performance the results where good.... but this test was done only once... you have to take into account the wear this spark plug suffers through out time, is this wear going to affect the performance quicker than an oem spark plug? is the construction of the spark plug going to last another 100miles? is it going to cause mechanical issues to your cilinders and pistons because of something falling off..??. i just wouldnt take the risk.

but if you do.. keep us posted with regular posts

Sean

I watched the Project Farm video and it almost seemed like he smirked a little that there was so little difference between the plugs. I think he expected bigger differences. To me, the major difference is going to be how the various plugs wear over time. Right now we know that the OEM Iridium plugs last as long as the recommended change interval and, in many cases documented here, a lot longer than that. For me, NKG Iridiums make the most sense, but YMMV.

I watched the Project Farm video and it almost seemed like he smirked a little that there was so little difference between the plugs. I think he expected bigger differences. To me, the major difference is going to be how the various plugs wear over time. Right now we know that the OEM Iridium plugs last as long as the recommended change interval and, in many cases documented here, a lot longer than that. For me, NKG Iridiums make the most sense, but YMMV.
totally agree with you! wear over time is an important factor.

yes, maybe in terms of performance the results where good.... but this test was done only once... you have to take into account the wear this spark plug suffers through out time, is this wear going to affect the performance quicker than an oem spark plug? is the construction of the spark plug going to last another 100miles? is it going to cause mechanical issues to your cilinders and pistons because of something falling off..??. i just wouldnt take the risk.

And this is wh

Sean
And this is why I started the discussion- to see if anyone else has already tried them :).

There have been several people who had replaced plugs that did not have the proper ion feedback and it created a lot of trouble codes so you can watch out for that. I remember a 2013 that replaced a lot of parts before he purchased oem plugs and the codes went away. I suggest you search for engine codes on this site and read other experiences...

There have been several people who had replaced plugs that did not have the proper ion feedback and it created a lot of trouble codes so you can watch out for that. I remember a 2013 that replaced a lot of parts before he purchased oem plugs and the codes went away. I suggest you search for engine codes on this site and read other experiences...
The spark plugs used on SkyActive-G have to be ion-sensing compatible and the resistance of the plugs needs to be 3.0 ~ 7.5 KΩ.

BA7B7654-74AF-4CCF-8F23-C5DD18240209.jpeg
Looks like the coils do have ION sensors.

995285C7-2263-4BC9-8678-92C0C11F6E62.png

So after determining that the coil has ION sensing capabilities built inside, I guess my question would be, does it really matter if we use an aftermarket spark plug such as Ruthenium?

As for whether or not you should use OEM spark plugs or aftermarket NGK or Denso plugs, it’s your call.
Until I know that non oem plug meets the workshop manual resistance of 3.0*7.5 kilohms) I wouldn't use a non OEM plug. The ecu uses the spark plug as primary knock sensor. If the resistance is out of spec then you could end up losing power and or mpg. I've been meaning to buy a cheap plug from Vatozone and test the resistance.
What Chris_Top_Her has said does have his base. OVT (OrangeVirus Tuning) had posted following comments several years ago here.
Without getting into too much detail...you guys really...really..really want to use OEM plugs....
the reason is because the ECU uses the ignition coils, which measure a resistance across the OEM plug for pre-ignition, and extremely low levels of knock retard the knock sensor cannot pick up, along with that it gives the ECU individual cylinder information, the spark plugs are actually used "as a sensor."

How it works exactly is proprietary information that I am not willing to share, you want to use OEM plugs.

Last edited:
The spark plugs used on SkyActive-G have to be ion-sending compatible and the resistance of the plugs needs to be 3.0 ~ 7.5 KΩ.

As for whether or not you should use OEM spark plugs or aftermarket NGK or Denso plugs, it’s your call.
Thanks. This pretty much settles it for me. OEM it is.

Installed these in March 2020 - 11,000km since and haven't seen any issues or change in mileage.

NGK 94124 ILKAR7L11 Laser Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 4NGK 94124 ILKAR7L11 Laser Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 4 - $56 CAD.

Tried to link but Amazon.ca says currently unavailabe.

Back