PSA: Some years have windows you can't break, even in an emergency.

:
2019 CX-5 Touring
I noticed the front driver and passenger side windows on my 2019 CX-5 are laminated which makes them shatter proof, even with one of those specially designed window punch tools or window hammers. This provides protection by preventing your from being ejected or partially ejected in a rollover but in an emergency, you won't be able to break those windows and will have to escape out the back windows.

Here's a video showing a cop breaking a laminated window to save a women. It shows how difficult it is too break these windows. They basically can only be cut rather than broken.

The laminated windows say "laminated" in the bottom right corner along with all the other text each window has. Remember, if you have laminated front windows, you will have to escape out the back ones and even those are hard to break and will often require a cheap window punch tool like this, which you should keep within arms reach in case you need to cut your seatbelt: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Yes, they are for better sound isolation. Lots of new cars are like this. double layers. Luxury cars have this for ages and now in non luxury brands.
In few years probably all cars will have it on all windows.

Yes, they are for better sound isolation. Lots of new cars are like this. double layers. Luxury cars have this for ages and now in non luxury brands.
In few years probably all cars will have it on all windows.

Yeah, and they are very effective at making it quite! I've noticed it's so much louder when I roll the windows down even when I'm stopped at a light. That difference in loudness is actually what made me look to see if the window was laminated. On my prior 2014 CX-5 that didn't have laminated windows, I never really noticed it being much louder with the windows up or down unless of course there was wind noise.

I really like it being quiet but it's good to know you'd have to break the rear windows if necessary.

Thanks for the PSA. I did not know that laminated windows were shatter proof.

Back