Protege5 Manual Transmission Options

sportsman_350

:
03 Mazda Protege5
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and did try searching but couldn't find much info. I'm trying to locate a used manual transmission for my 2003 Protege5 w/o ABS. I've heard of people doing swaps from mid 90's Ford Probe's, Mazda 626's, and standard Protege but can't get confirmation on if it's a direct swap.

Can someone please confirm what transmissions would be a direct swap with little or no modification?

1993 1997 Mazda 626 4cyl Transmission / 1993 1997 Ford Probe

Engines:
1993-1997 MX6/Probe 2.0L FS
1993-2002 626 have 2.0L FS
1993 1997 626 / Probe Vehicle WITHOUT ABS

Thanks for the info! I found one out of a 1999 Mazda 626 for about $200 I was gonna try out. Glad to get the confirmation before I pulled the trigger.

Whatever vehicle you find to get your used tranny be sure to use your original vehicle speed sensor or the speedometer will not be correct

Whatever vehicle you find to get your used tranny be sure to use your original vehicle speed sensor or the speedometer will not be correct

^^^ What he said.
Cars with ABS get their speed info from the wheel speed sensors.
Cars without ABS get their speed info from a speedo gear installed in the transmission.
ABS cars don't have that gear...
I don't know if the gear is different on other makes and models.

Thanks for the advice guys! I ended up getting one from a 99 mazda 626 and it was a straight swap with zero issues. Got the old one out and new on installed in about 8 hrs last weekend. I wasn't sure if the speed sensor would cause an issue or not but swapped it anyways just cause I knew mine was good and it's a pain to reach later.

The site mentioned above is a great resource that was very helpful in locating the trans but it didn't do the cross reference from my Protege5 to the 626 or the probe so I just used it to search for each separately.

did you notice a drop in RPM in 5th using the 626 trans ?
supposedly the 626 has a slightly taller gear ratio, I believe the 2001/02 626 has the tallest but I dont know that for certain.

^^^ What he said.
Cars with ABS get their speed info from the wheel speed sensors.
Cars without ABS get their speed info from a speedo gear installed in the transmission.
ABS cars don't have that gear...
I don't know if the gear is different on other makes and models.

So, say I changed wheel/tire diameter and wanted to use a YellowBox to keep my speedo accurate. My car has ABS. Where would the speed sensor connector be?

So, say I changed wheel/tire diameter and wanted to use a YellowBox to keep my speedo accurate. My car has ABS. Where would the speed sensor connector be?

It looks like if you've got ABS then you don't have a separate VSS connector.
The speed info goes directly from the ABS head unit, down the purple wire with a red stripe, directly into the ECU.

If you didn't have ABS then you would have a gray connector on the side of the transmission.

I went to slightly bigger tires (205/50/16) and it threw off my speedometer by 2-3%.

I don't worry about it. If my speedo says 50 mph I'm actually doing 51-52 mph.
That's close enough for me.

I assume this list still holds true? Anybody have issues with say a Ford Probe trans? CV axle splines are all the same still??

Back