• Welcome to Mazdas247. Membership is free and offers many benefits, please Click Here to learn more, thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

Protege5 Leak (tranny fluid) Which seal?

Hey all, I noticed my car is leaking tranny fluid. Its all over the bottom of the car. I suspect the leak is coming from where the axle goes into the transmission. Can anyone confirm what seal it might be? Diff seal? Output shaft seal?

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 mazda protege 5
The service manual just calls it an "oil seal" for both the manual and automatic transmission.

Rockauto lists "input shaft seal", "output shaft seal", " transmission seal"...

I wouldn't know which one to order.
They don't show where it goes.

An online Mazda parts store might be a better choice, even if just to get a part number.

:
protege5
Don't try and guess what it might be. When you're driving, wind blows fluids and stuff all over the place so who knows where it's REALLY coming from if it's everywhere. You need to pinpoint exactly what is leaking before going and spending a bunch of time replacing seals one at a time until you eventually find it.

Put the car up on jack stands and clean everything really really well with a couple cans of brake cleaner and blow it out with compressed air so everything is clean and dry. Then take the car for a 10-15 minute drive. Put the car back in the air and see where the leak is coming from. Then decide what part you need to order.

guessing is a very expensive and frustrating way to fix a car.

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 mazda protege 5
I had the same oil seal leak on my car.

When I first got my car I noticed a squeal from under my hood and took it to my local shop (who shall remain nameless except that they're Canadian and they sell tires).

They said the alternator was bad and needed to be replaced.
It wasn't the actual alternator, it was the bearing that went bad.

I got a new rebuilt alternator installed for around $400.
(this is before I found this forum and started doing my own work.)

A few months later, the squealing started again and yet another alternator bearing was shot.
The alternator was warrantied but not the labor to put it in, so another $180.

Then yet again, another failure... $180.

Then again but this time, the alternator burned up and it was covered, but not the labor. Another $180.

Then I got a transmission oil leak on the CV shaft.
I took it to a different shop and spent around $200 to have the seal replaced.

Every time the alternator was replaced, they pulled the axle and ended up wrecking the seal.

And, every time they replaced the alternator, they tightened the living shit out of the belt which lead to a failed alternator bearing.

The Canadian shop that sells Tires (and employs children) didn't properly "torque" the belt which ended up costing me over $1000

I do ALL my own work now and if I F'-up I know it's my own damn fault.

That sits way better in my gut and I sleep better at night.

I had the same oil seal leak on my car.

When I first got my car I noticed a squeal from under my hood and took it to my local shop (who shall remain nameless except that they're Canadian and they sell tires).

They said the alternator was bad and needed to be replaced.
It wasn't the actual alternator, it was the bearing that went bad.

I got a new rebuilt alternator installed for around $400.
(this is before I found this forum and started doing my own work.)

A few months later, the squealing started again and yet another alternator bearing was shot.
The alternator was warrantied but not the labor to put it in, so another $180.

Then yet again, another failure... $180.

Then again but this time, the alternator burned up and it was covered, but not the labor. Another $180.

Then I got a transmission oil leak on the CV shaft.
I took it to a different shop and spent around $200 to have the seal replaced.

Every time the alternator was replaced, they pulled the axle and ended up wrecking the seal.

And, every time they replaced the alternator, they tightened the living shit out of the belt which lead to a failed alternator bearing.

The Canadian shop that sells Tires (and employs children) didn't properly "torque" the belt which ended up costing me over $1000

I do ALL my own work now and if I F'-up I know it's my own damn fault.

That sits way better in my gut and I sleep better at night.

do you recalll the name of the seal?

Weekly Poll: Interested in the MX-30?

• Yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I want an Electric CX-3, 30, 5, 8 or 9

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • I want an Electric Mazda2, 3, 6 or Miata

Votes: 1 3.7%