Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

My roommates dad is a Materials engineer at Boeing. I was talking with him last weekend and apparently they dont do much with CF anymore. I guess Carbon is "so 10 years ago". They have lots of scrap that they sell off at Boeing auctions a few times a year. Have to be a Boeing employee, but the you can get anything. 3'x3'x3' cube of titanium? they probably have it.

I thought they put a stop to that? My friend used too buy their metal auctions but hasn't been for a few years because they had closed it or something

Maybe you can get one of those 3x3x3 cubes of titanium and have an engine block milled out of it, Tamn. ;)

Alright I guess its time for another post. I have been slowly finishing up the polishing of the block/last turbo and the cylinder head/oil pan brace. Block is about ready for coating, only a few more days of sanding left. Oh and I have some pictures of the Holset polished up. That thing was a real big pain, about 60 hours to polish it start to finish.

Still have not gotten around too the doors yet, but I have one mold finished both sides, I'm rebuilding the vacuum pump before I start.

Anyways, the worlds longest engine build continues...:3
Hopefully I'll have more progress to post up soon, I'm about done smoothing everything out and taking out all the casting imperfections both inside and out. Cheers!

Knocking all the casting off everything, I swear I'm not obsessed.

You can see where I have been improving the water pump's flow knocking down casting and rounding the edges. I'll mirror polish all this up before I'm done.

These pictures from below here are just taken for a comparison to what the final finish will be when I'm done. It's nice to polish something that requires very little sanding to knock smooth.

After a year of having a non driving mazda I broke down and bought a car too drive in the meantime. I drove too SE Washington too bring back this non running Eagle Talon that's been sitting for 3 years in a shed. A real life shed find, 1990 1st generation, the body is nearly perfect for a car older than me, the interior...judge for yourself, the grease from the driveshaft for example have been marinating in the carpet. Don't worry the Protege isn't going anywhere but I'm really sick of driving the truck meanwhile. If you don't want too see pictures of a DSM on this thread, too bad I'm working on both the cars so live with it.

Many of the parts are being transferred too the Talon while I make lighter versions of them for the protege. This includes the steering wheel, vintage recaros, at least one of the turbos (for now...)
some of my extra injectors, turbo valves, piping etc.

Warning, theirs a lot of pictures this post. Cheers!

Garage is getting a bit crowded, up too 5 transmissions, 3 blocks and 4 cylinder heads now. Sorry mom...

Subscribing for P5 references :) . I Cannot wait to get started on my own project.

AHHHH prepare yourself, picture bombs!

Been while since I posted, current stuff I'm messing with.

Protege engine block is nearly finished being polished. (aprox 200 hrs into it so far)
Protege cylinder head has been polished, smoothed runners, polished combustion chambers volume matched.
I'm having forged aluminum connecting rods for the protege built, I will be having 6 sets made initially, and yes they will be for sale on my site later. (shameless plug?)
Building Main Stud Girdle for Protege Block. (waiting on metal too arrive atm)
Knocked 3 pounds of castings off the large Holsets hotside, preparing too ceramic coat it and the combustion chambers of the cylinder head.

Stuff on hold: It's too cold for the carbon/fiberglass too set up as I don't have an oven large enough, will have too wait until spring.

Have a great holiday season and drive safe!

It is an FS-DE, and he's putting a turbo on it, so...

Yeah, i would've saved time and just powder coated it with a chrome like powder instead. That polish will never stay like that. Not to hate on it just pointing out.

its more than just polishing. and he is going to clear it when done. And I believe he will be changing the geometry in the bottom end to help with the boom thing.

Back