Protege5 Big brake upgrade? (using 626 parts)

ho bag

:
2007 Mazda5 GT
I remember reading on here somwhere (and i cant find it via a search) that one could use parts from a 626 v6 and rx7 to upgrade the protege brakes.

What i remember hearing was 626 v6 front and rear rotors, pads, front 626 calipers and rx7 rear claipers. Now i dont know if this is right but if anyone has the information let me know. I need to know what parts and from what years i need. Also i need to know if i can use the stock caliper brackets and ebreak cables with the new parts.

I plan on going turbo in the next month and i wanna make sure i can stop faster. Pus since my rear pads and disc are shot and one caliper is sticking i figure this is the perfect time to start upgrading.

So again if you have any info or links let me know ASAP!

for the fronts, you can use 626 V6 parts - you will need rotors, calipers, brackets, and pads. for the rears, you need to either go with the european protege brake set-up, or mazdaspeed protege brake set-up - again, rotors, calipers, brakets, and pads. the FD rx-7 used the same brake pad, but the brakes are completely different.

So MSP or Euro 323 are my only 2 choices for rear big brake upgrades?

Front is no big deal. Grab the brackets from the junkyard, buy the rest from napa or something like that.

Well thats sucks, i was sure there was a cheaper option for the rear.

just do the fronts and you'll be fine. i have been running on just the front set-up for about a year now, and no issues.

njaremka said:
just do the fronts and you'll be fine. i have been running on just the front set-up for about a year now, and no issues.
Ya but my rears are toast. I need new rotors and pads, i figured i might as well do the upgrade while im in there.

I think the BBK from protegegarage.com (MSP brakes) would be easier. At least you know other people have used it and it fits.

Chris

L8R said:
I think the BBK from protegegarage.com (MSP brakes) would be easier. At least you know other people have used it and it fits.

Chris

would be easier only because it's already put together for me.

but from doing the math and adding all the prices together, i can get parts to put together my own BBK kit for front and rears, with NON OEM parts and upgraded pads for cheaper than what the price is listed for BBK on protegegarage.com

so if i can collect everything and the price ends up being cheaper than i'm going to go that route.

bigj884 said:
would be easier only because it's already put together for me.

but from doing the math and adding all the prices together, i can get parts to put together my own BBK kit for front and rears, with NON OEM parts and upgraded pads for cheaper than what the price is listed for BBK on protegegarage.com

so if i can collect everything and the price ends up being cheaper than i'm going to go that route.

the main advantage to his kit is all mazda parts, thats why its a little more expensive

he kit is not all mazda parts...he has the optiopn to upgrade the rotors and pads....and if you do that...it's alittle more money

but my question was....as far as the front calipers go was the link i posted 3-4 post above this one, the correct type of caliper i needed and do i need to buy the extra stuff like the bolts and such...or can i just reuse my stuff i have on the car?

I have no idea on this topic, I'm sorry, but good luck and I look forward to seeing this thread develop.

Chris

bigj884 said:
he kit is not all mazda parts...he has the optiopn to upgrade the rotors and pads....and if you do that...it's alittle more money

but my question was....as far as the front calipers go was the link i posted 3-4 post above this one, the correct type of caliper i needed and do i need to buy the extra stuff like the bolts and such...or can i just reuse my stuff i have on the car?

you will need the calipers and brackets, and the bolts that attach the caliper to the brackets. (should come all together) the bolts that mount the bracket to the hub can be reused.

again, if you get the protege garage kit, everything you need is right there. just take your old stuff off, and mount his kit right up.

My understanding the modifications needed is you have to widen the calipers by seperating and putting in spacers. Also, I heard something about possibly having to make the holes bigger for the brackets to mount to the stock locations on the car.

Rogue said:
My understanding the modifications needed is you have to widen the calipers by seperating and putting in spacers. Also, I heard something about possibly having to make the holes bigger for the brackets to mount to the stock locations on the car.

yeah see thats the problem you have to mod some of the parts to get them to fit, i would prefer something that i can just put on with minimal to no modifing at all.

totally undertandable :)

but 4-pot brakes look sick!!
brakes.jpg

Back